Ornithopters/Gunships

Gert-Jan

I'm surprised I haven't read this anywhere. Maybe it's because I have no multyplayer experience... (or I just don't read very well :) ) O well here goes.

Build/Order about 10-12 Orni's/Gunships and built 3-4 Landing Pads, for fast reloading. This way you have a very good force to take out any unit that has no anti-aircaft properties, or attack some structures. Crate hunting is also quite easy.

But again, I don't have any multiplayer experience... but it works for me against the AI.

You have to wreck a vehicle first, don't we. And can't airunits land on the place where the crate is?

Eh?

And can't airunits land on the place where the crate is?

No.

"But the planes can hunt them down faster"

Not if their gunships. And imagine flying into the black-zone with an ADV carryall only to have it shot down by enemy AA fire. Not smart.

Wrecking a vechicle as in campaigns where you destroy some neutral vechicles to get crates you mean?But in skirmish or whatever shit,you only need a land unit to pick it up.A gunship has weapons right,apollyon?So it can kill off the AA defenders and use a scout to pick it up.The EASIEST,CHEAPEST,BEST,QUICKEST and most NORMAL way to find and get crates,is to USE A SCOUT!DUH!That's what you need only!!! ;D

The EASIEST,CHEAPEST,BEST,QUICKEST and most NORMAL way to find and get crates,is to USE A SCOUT!DUH!That's what you need only!!! ;D

Great, picking up stealth or chevron crates with a scout ::)

If I'm Ordos I prefer to just wipe away the shroud and then hunt down my crates with Dust Scouts. Eh-heh! Once had a quintet of cloaked 3-chevron ranked Dust Scouts prowling the sands! Oh man! You should have heard the poor sap that I had the pleasure of using them on... REPEATEDLY! Did a rather nice job of keeping his scouts off most of the map.

"Goddamnit!"

"You son of a bitch! Where are you?!"

"GAAAAAH!"

Eh-heh... HeheheHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahehhmhmhm-mmmm. Yeah.

Oh, and as for Ornis/Guns. Orni's are a complete wasste of a good 1200 solaris. Fire to slow and too lightly armored (never seen and Orni COMPLETELY use up it's payload kept getting shot down too quickly), and I don't care what the manual says they move like a friggin' brick-with-wings and are just as manuverable...

When I use Ornithopters I often run a few Air Drones in front of them, drawing the enemy fire. With the speed of AD they could out-run the enemy missles, and I order the Ornithopters to attack the building. One good way to use Ornithopters is hit-'n'-run. Don't let it stop flying, after you see it fires a missle, order it to move forwards again. That way the Ornithopters will not get hit.

But their missles are definately too weak.

But Hark Gunships can't out run AA missles while Onithopters can. If you can kill a Onithopter with one single hit(is there such a powerful weapon?), you still have to be able to hit it. When the weak Onithopter recieve no damage continously while the Gunships are getting hit continously, the Onithopter will stay while the Gunship crash.

Onithopter is used to distract people mainly, as they are so weak. But if an Onithopter is allowed to attack long enough it can destroy a Con yard.

Ah, I will hae ot take your word for that. But, the when compared to the Gunship, the Ornithopter isn't a stand alone fighter. In other words, yeah, it might finish the job, but it won't finish it nearly as fast or efficiently as the Gunship will. Besides, Atry has somer of the most formidable land-based artillery in the game, so you are better off not using Ornis when Minos and Air DRones work jsut as well as (if not better than) Ornis. Plus, the DRone/Mino combonation doesn't require any time spent on annoying reloads.

When you send your airstrike to destroy all conyards and factories. Then you don't care if that airstrike returns, or that it is destroyed.

But with enough, the Ornithopters can do enough damage to destroy the same buildings too

Yes, but his anti air defence will get more shots off them then with the gunships because they need to fire longer and it also gives the player a chance to respond faster because it takes them longer to destroy a building then with a group of gunships.