*Tournament*

• 2 weeks later...

One change from QM setz: Fog will (may?) be off. Fog is stupid. I mean, has radar not advanced enough in 10,000 years to keep the map from becoming black again? Sheesh.

i disagree that Fog is stupid. it requires way more Strategy. i do hate Fog because the scout unit is use-less and sure to die no matter how many times you replace it on the sand (unless the enemy is already dead).

however, the reason that FOW is essential is for base strategies --- or more appropriately, the lack thereof. without FOW, the enemy can see 100% of your base at all times which will result in easy, lame-ass Wins such as the one guy seeing: "look, if I Engineer him, Fremen him, Ix him, or airdrop him at 'SPOT X', I get a guranteed Win!". while all those things are valid tactics, the exclusion of FOW means that they take zero skill to execute. with Fog on, a player has to scout the enemy base skillfully first in order to implement these strats. a good player will be able to defend against this scouting. hence, if you take FOW off then you are gonna have people of very little skill beating people of much greater skill with skill-less strats due to the huge chunk of strategy you're removing as it relates to the matters i've mentioned.

Ah, but without the fog, you have to put more emphasis on being thorough. If your enemy can't see your base, you can just leave huge swatches of rarely-entered areas unprotected. For instance, you wouldn't need sufficient turrets to hold off ADVCarryall/APC rush from all directions because he wouldn't want to risk the Carryall to test your cliff-side defenses.

But let's have a vote.

Will all participants please vote: Fog on or off?

on most maps, being "thorough" enough in the early-game to stop these things from every possible angle means you will get owned in your spice if the enemy is even half-decent. that's the trade-off for fully-fortifying your base at every spot at any point before the late-game. full-fortification takes A LOT of resources on most Maps, and with all those resources in your base and the same amount of enemy resources in your Spice, you're screwed for sure unless it's late-game. of course, there's nothing to stop those who would abuse the lack of Fog from doing so early-on.

therefore, i vote Fog On and I encourage everyone else to do the same

The first round matchups are as follows:

1. AK47 and Firesnake

2. ps501 and leo

3. Skum and Darkruler

4. Navaros and Vilgent

5. Drop_Zone and ankbter8

6. Schorpie and Darkdeth

7. Zilents advances automatically*

*We have an uneven number. By random selection, Zilents was chosen to advance automatically. Sorry. ;)

Contact each other and decide on a good time to play. IM me the time (GMT, preferably) and I will try to observe the game. (Unless it's at like, 2 in the morning here. :P)

Overall, 13 people isn't bad.

I will be e-mailing reminders tomorrow.