Killing the Emperor Worm

Thexorb

The way that has always worked for me here is to build lots of defensive forces (spearheaded by elite self-repairing units, which you should conserve, if HK) and turrets and prepare for any onslaught. Meanwhile, do *not* scout beyond the long row of living turrets, or make any effort to attack, nor to pay any attention to the 'interesting' structures (Cannon, Palace, FR/SD/IX stuff). Then, once you have a big stable base, and a palace and so on, (NB use the superweapons on the enemy closest to you), build 5 or so ADV carryalls with Minos/ Sonics/ Kobras/ Devastators (Starport is good for this). Then pick them up, and move them as a group along the top-left edge of the map. Save. Find a place to the left/right of your base, and move them there. Then tell them to move directly to the other side of the map, perpendicular to the Worm. Then drop your forces on the far side of the worm's head. Then attack. The counter will not commence until now, and your forces will take out the worm in good time.

If you wish, you can combine this with an APC/Engineer attack on the Megacannon.

Played that mission a long time ago. Killed it by dropping Devas/Minos/Kobras...

Although I don't intend to go through the mission again myself (don't have any saved games), I was wondering whether fremen warriors would have a good chance of doing away quickly with the Emperor worm--since they are quite effective against worm riders. Same goes for flame tanks.

Just a thought

• 4 weeks later...