Inkvine Catapults

Thexorb

We've all been told that the oily splat from an Inkvine catapult will continue to damage units, but it doesn't seem to take any health away, even against the weakest of infantry (I'm assuming it hasn't been set alight).

However, I noticed something interesting.

Fire it at a soldier on infantry rock. After the initial Splat, the soldier will noticeably take damage from the gooey stuff.

Weird.

(btw, I'm Thexorb, nice to meet you. A complete noob at this game.... well, multiplayer anyway)

Inkvine oil splats do damage things (no matter what type)

There a handy trick for this:

Holograms disappear when they receive damage of any kind right?

Well: get an inkvine catapult to shoot at the ground and let a hologram run over it, it disappears the moment it touches it! :D (<= i like that smiley :D )

thexorb i have no idea what you are talking about but as one of the best Emperor players ever I can tell you for certain that you are 100% WRONG to say Inkvines don't do damage

Inkvines are one of the very most powerful units in the game. in fact, they are *overpowered*

the after-effect is the worst part of it all

if Inkvines just fired and that was it, they wouldn't be very tough. the fact that they are the only weapon in the game which leaves residual damage (other than the Death Hand) --- of which the area they effect is HUGE, and the duration of that residual damage is INSANE --- gives great Hark players a *huge* strategic advantage over players who do not have access to the Inkvine unit.

You mass inkvines, and I'll mass Minos. We'll see how overpowered Inkvines are. ;)

But yes, the splat does do damage.

[InkVineSplat]
Size = 3  // Size (in tiles) of splat
Lifespan = 1000 // Ticks until splat disappears
HomingDelay = 100 // Length of fade animation
Resource = InkVinePoison_B  // Bullet used for poison effect
ExplosionType = InkVineFlame_B  // Bullet used for flame effect
Damage = 5 // How much quicker does a flaming splat die?

[InkVinePoison_B]
Speed = 16
MaxRange = 0  //blow up immediatiely
Damage = 3
BlastRadius = 48 // Splat is 3 x 3 tiles
DamageFriendly = FALSE  // Don't damage friendly units
Ignites = FALSE // Don't ignite other splats!
Gassed = TRUE //infantry death anim
Warhead = Poison_W

You mass inkvines, and I'll mass Minos. We'll see how overpowered Inkvines are. ;)

i personally am not very good with Hark, but I gurantee you that I could put a couple of elite Hark players in your path who would use Mass-Inkvines to utterly decimate your Mino-Mass and anything else you had along with it. Obviously Inkvines would not be the only factor in this battle, but they'd be one of the most prominent and fundamental contributing factors.

Holograms disappear when they receive damage of any kind right?

Well: get an inkvine catapult to shoot at the ground and let a hologram run over it, it disappears the moment it touches it! :D (<= i like that smiley :D )

Unless the Inkvine splat is burning, any projection that passes over it will not be affected...

Indeed, the splat can only damage infantry:

[Poison_W] //Inkvine poisoning effect infantry only

None = 100

Earplugs = 100

BPV = 80

Light = 0

Medium = 0

Heavy = 0

Concrete = 0

Walls = 0

Building = 0

CY = 0

Harvester = 0

Invulnerable = 0

Aircraft = 0

oh, well thanks for clarifying and btw that SUCKS. Inkvine is freakin' overpowered >:( of course, i've been saying that for eons but new guys like thexorb and everyone else will come to understand that in time as well

I actually agree somewhat with the overpowered nature of the inkvine. Nothing is more irritating than having your mortars or kindjal viciously intoxicated by dirty splodges. But I still think gunships are just ridiculous...

Yes, theres a strong argument to say Catapults are overpowered. But they're a million miles away from being invincible... if they are not well supported by other Hark units, virtually any vehicle can easily take them out.

But I still think gunships are just ridiculous...

problem isn't so much with Gunships themselves as it is with the fact that only ATR has reasonable air defenses vs. Gunships. they should have balanced-out the air units better amongst all 3 Houses during the Design Stage of Emperor. Gunships will never cause any significant damage to an elite ATR unless he's already been crippled on the ground beforehand, but with the other 2 houses, you're right. Unless you've turned your base into Fort Knox with Troopers, nice knowing ya!

The only way to deal with them for hark is to have lots of gunships yourself with troopers and elites too. For ordos... well you're pretty much screwed by then.

absolutely. this is one of the biggest reasons why i took ATR to master. 'cause i never have to worry about Gunships. one keystroke and a few clicks, and all his Gunships are dead. whatever buildings he's killed with them first, i replace within the next few minutes. it's great. if you REALLY hate Gunships that much, maybe you should switch to an Atreides-only guy

Well that's one of the reasons I've started playing as ATR recently. Unfortunately, I'm not very good yet, but I'm getting there. :)

i don't care what *anyone* tells you, if you try to be a master with all 3 houses, you're gonna be mediocre at each and every one of them. jack of all trades, master of none. that's a big contributing factor to why most everyone in Emperor sucks: they try to be a jack of all 3 Houses who will always get owned by the Masters of 1 House LOL [Note: there are a few exceptions to this rule, but they are irrelevant; demigods of Emperor for which 40 years of training and practice could not achieve what they can do].

Its best to stick to one house and get good at it rather than try to be the best with all three houses. With one house, you will know what your strengths and weaknesses are through other players and can thus make a better army overall. Using all three will cause you to think that you know everyone's strengths and weaknesses while in reality, you only know whats best against what you yourself believes is strong or powerless

thexorb i have no idea what you are talking about but as one of the best Emperor players ever I can tell you for certain that you are 100% WRONG to say Inkvines don't do damage

Inkvines are one of the very most powerful units in the game. in fact, they are *overpowered*

The mark left behind does do damage, but it is so little that you'll hardly notice. If you want to use to its extreme, then you a unit to shoot that spot, that mark would i alight (you see fire and heard sound from it), and units traveling through it will take some considerable damage, especially for infantries. ;D

Like I said, the splat *only* damages infantry, and *only* damages infantry of your enemy.

Thats probably the case.