AMD or Intel

Guest Eric E.

Guest Eric E.

and about intel vs. AMD. It doesn't make much of a difference. the pentium 4 2.8 is almost equal (a little bit faster) to the AMD XP 2800+ . Especially in the past, AMD was much cheaper, but often it was slower than it's intel counterpart. however, when the Athlon was released, AMD came up with a very fast processor at low price, so Intel was forced to lower their prices as well

Where did you grow up!

My friend has an athlon 1800+ and even my Intel pentium3 900 Mhz beats it in speed. We both had to clean our harddrives and we both had the same Operating system with nothing else on it. and the intel pentium was like twice as fast. we both had 512 mb sdram.

''A very fast processor'' ? LOL

I mean.. COMON fast! hah. the intel beats the amd ahtlon 2800+ in every way. Buy a computer magazine and see for your self.

Here were I work (at the Power Unlimited, You might've heard of it since you live in the netherlands). We test not only The newest games but also the newest computers. I write reviews for the computer section. Ask nyar He must know more about this and he can explain it much better then I can.

~Eric

You used an AMD 1800+ with SDram ? I hope you used DDR on the AMD. ;)

There are a few online test, this one on a Dutch site. An article on Tom's hardware that at the end has a result of the Performance in Open GL and DirectX 7: 3D Mark 2000. Both indicate that an AMD processor isn't doing all that bad.

As you are working for a Dutch gaming magazine, you probably know a group called Data. One of the main clan members of that group has a system with almost the same specs as mine, with a few differances. He has 2 RAID controles and 1 SCSI where I have 1 of both. I runn a dual Intel, and as you probably guessed by now, he runs a dual AMD 2400+MP. And I didn't see his system lagg for a second a months ago at the clan wars. [ could be a little off at the data though so don't point me on that ]. Guess what most of that clann is running with ;)

And if you are working at the hardware section [ I presume that's what you mean with I write reviews for the computer section. ], I am pretty suprised you can't get a AMD 1800+ running faster then a 900 Mhz pentium 3 I presume ?

I prefer not to see it as a statment proclaiming Intel's superiority over AMD, allthough more over the skills of the persone configurating the entire system. Let's be hounest. An AMD that type should easy beat every Intel below 1 gig facing it, taken both systems are configurated right.

[ not compleatly ment as a sacrastic comment, if so taking my appologies, just that I think in a way a hardware collumist should know that making such a statement has te be backed up pretty hard to make it hold it's value ]

The question who is better. AMD or Intel is not based upon speed, benchmark's or things like that. It is a matter of taste, experiance. The same reason why I'm never gon'na buy a WD harddrive again if I have that choice. Why you and I probably both are Intel fans. People who buy them do so for a reason. And they don't give about who has a faster speed test then the other. If they would, they'd buy AMD as it has the best options to overclocked it and get some extra juiche out of it. ;)

Oh, and I'm more of an Edge reader myself.

[ isn't Doc an AMD supporter by-the-way ? ]

Back on the topic. Wolftiger, did closing all of the background programm's helpt anything ? If not, could you upload a copy of your DirextX diag-file and the type of mainboard you are using. :)

Where I presume you allready tried all of the things in this topic ?

Guest Eric E.

You used an AMD 1800+ with SDram ? I hope you used DDR on the AMD

It was sdram, But it's not like it would make a big diffrense, well not If we used DDR on both computers anyway.

And if you are working at the hardware section [ I presume that's what you mean with I write reviews for the computer section. ], I am pretty suprised you can't get a AMD 1800+ running faster then a 900 Mhz pentium 3 I presume ?

I used it as an example. But both computers have Sdram. At the P.U, Our intel computers are much more efficient, And have a better performance than the Amd series. Let's say i just don't trust Amd.

Let's be hounest. An AMD that type should easy beat every Intel below 1 gig facing it, taken both systems are configurated right.

Well for one; my neighbor has an athlon 1800+ and like I said before, the intel pentium3 900 mhz outruns the AMD in performance.

So your statement is either meant to be sacrastic or more like nonsense.

The question who is better. AMD or Intel is not based upon speed, benchmark's or things like that. It is a matter of taste, experiance. The same reason why I'm never gon'na buy a WD harddrive again if I have that choice. Why you and I probably both are Intel fans. People who buy them do so for a reason. And they don't give about who has a faster speed test then the other. If they would, they'd buy AMD as it has the best options to overclocked it and get some extra juiche out of it.

Personally I think an Intel processor is more reliable than an AMD. Yes it's a matter of taste, And I couldn't care less about speed. 2 ghz or 4 Ghz, It doesn't make much of a diffrence to me since I don't run any *huge badass programs*.

IMO I think WD harddrives are the best. ;)

[ isn't Doc an AMD supporter by-the-way ? ]

I don't know, he talks alot about those evil machines though :P

Btw, Nice computer you got there, must've cost you alot.

and about intel vs. AMD. It doesn't make much of a difference. the pentium 4 2.8 is almost equal (a little bit faster) to the AMD XP 2800+ . Especially in the past, AMD was much cheaper, but often it was slower than it's intel counterpart. however, when the Athlon was released, AMD came up with a very fast processor at low price, so Intel was forced to lower their prices as well

Where did you grow up!

My friend has an athlon 1800+ and even my Intel pentium3 900 Mhz beats it in speed. We both had to clean our harddrives and we both had the same Operating system with nothing else on it. and the intel pentium was like twice as fast. we both had 512 mb sdram.

''A very fast processor'' ? LOL

I mean.. COMON fast! hah. the intel beats the amd ahtlon 2800+ in every way. Buy a computer magazine and see for your self.

Here were I work (at the Power Unlimited, You might've heard of it since you live in the netherlands). We test not only The newest games but also the newest computers. I write reviews for the computer section. Ask nyar He must know more about this and he can explain it much better then I can.

~Eric

? :D :D :D right!!!!

let me tell you this, in speed comparison, the amd xp 1800+ beats the pentium 4 1800 and any pentium 3 processor. The pentium 4 doesn't beat the amd processor until 2.4 ghz or something.... no offence

check www.cpuscorecard.com man.. there you can find some great speed comparisons, and find out that the pentium 4 2800 has 100% and the Athlon XP 2800+ 97% so the difference in speed is minimal

oh btw for your information.. the pentium 3 M 1.2 ghz comes only up to 52%

Guest Eric E.

Ok let me get this sraight.

You're saying:

A pentium 3 900 Mhz with 512 mb Sdram Is slower than an

Athlon 1800+ (1533 Mhz) with 512 mb sdram?

LOL dude, with DDR memory the athlon is fast.. but with Sdram.. It doesn't even get close to normal.

Ok, far enough. If you want to discuss AMD over Intell, make your own topic.

[ I know that I myself have participated so not all the blame is for you guy's ]

Back to the origional topic. If any of you want to discuss which is better, well Flameweaver just split this topic, and AtheistMonk, send me an IM or email if you would like to see it been split.

Ok, it's a seperate Topic. And as this is Tech Support it's not ment as a discussion place for personall preferances for a certain processor type. Just experianc and data. So try to keep it with that. We'll close this topic if any one will start flaming for personall preferances, post data an facts about the differant CPU's. Experiances and such. And if some one likes another CPU, that's ok. The one he or she has works fine for them probably. :)

begin rant

Personally I think it's silly when someone defends one processor over another (It's a lot like the console wars, you know PS2 smashes XBOX because ...) . Both lines of processors have there good and bad points. All of my systems at home use AMD processors, but that's not because I think they are better than Pentium processors. When I build a system (I have never bought a pre-built system always build my own) I do some research and try and get the best bang for the buck. I would own a pentium processor if the prices for the motherboards/CPU's were a little more reasonable. I have not checked today, but I am sure I would have to spend close to $400 for a decent pentium CPU and motherboard. With AMD chipsets there seems to be a lot more competition as far as price is concerned for decent motherboards and CPU's. I only paid $80 for the current CPU/motherboard I am using and I must say it is very stable and runs most apps without a hitch. I never buy top of the line anything because I know I can get close to the performance of the current state of the art for a lot less. I think Intel processors are great, but are overpriced especially in their medium to low end of processors. It's the low end to medium processor market where AMD is king in my opinion, because their high end processors are about the same price as the high end Pentiums which are better. So my take on this is if money is no object and you buy the best of everything, then by all means go with a high end pentium. If on the other hand you are willing to compromise some speed and get a system for under $1000 then I would say AMD is your pick.

End of rant.

I have to say I would LOVE to have an AMD athlon processor before I ever got a pentium 4... I have never had any problems with an athlon run computer, but pentium... Ughhh!!... they are so anoying, lag all the time...

didn't AMD just come out with a 3000 version?

Yep, there is an AMD Athlon 3000+ Barton, running at 2167 MHz with 128KB and 512 KB L1 and L2 cache on a 166 MHz Bus. It's sold for about 660 Euro's in The Nerherlands.

MP's are stuck at 2600+ at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...