Why should i believe in God?

I don't stand for God; even if He, She, or It exists, I imagine the supreme being to be a very unpleasant, perhaps even stalin-esque character, assuming that the Bible is a reliable source on the nature of god.

Interesting.  Upon what (specifically) do you base this characterization? 

Interesting.  Upon what (specifically) do you base this characterization? 

The Old Testament of the Bible, mostly. A god that kills off the World's entire human population (save one family) for putting their Free Will to work is obviously very genocidal, irritable, maybe even a bit senile.

"While the Israelites were in the desert, a man was discovered gathering wood on the Sabbath day.  Those who caught him at it brought him to Moses and Aaron and the whole assembly.  But they kept him in custody, for there was no clear decision as to what should be done with him.  Then the Lord said to Moses, "This man shall be put to death; let the whole community stone him outside the camp." So the whole community led him outside the camp and stoned him to death as the Lord had commanded Moses."   Numbers 15:32-36 NAB

And that's not even the funniest one.

The Old Testament of the Bible, mostly. A god that kills off the World's entire human population (save one family) for putting their Free Will to work is obviously very genocidal, irritable, maybe even a bit senile.

Ah, I see.  What most people fail to recognize in this situation is that God gave the people of that day ample warning of the calamity that was about to befall mankind.  We are told that Noah was a preacher of righteousness and that it took several decades to build this ark.  Therefore we can conclude that not only did God see fit to warn people through Noah

Excuse?  The explanation was not an excuse, it was the reason.  These people were judged to be exceedingly wicked and deserving of death.  But in His love and wisdom, God decided to give them the opportunity to change their ways and continue living.  They chose to ignore the warning.

Whenever a natural disaster is about to strike, the government will often warn people to evacuate the area but many people foolishly choose to ignore the warnings and therefore suffer a horrible fate.  But it

Natural disasters are a different kettle of fish from pointing a gun at someone and saying "Keep doing what you're doing and I'll shoot you." The allegory is a little twisted in that the weapon used was a natural disaster, but whatever. Terrorists who send warnings first are terrorists all the same. "I warned them first" is not an excuse, except perhaps in whacko dictator land.

If at this particular time, the world was filled with murder, rape, thievery and every sort of horrible violence that you could imagine, many would view it as a service to rid the world of such persons.  Usually we just put these types of criminals in prison for a very long time.  In this case, God determined that when these people failed to repent after decades of begging them to, He felt that there was little other choice but to execute his judgment upon them.  Again, in the face of such extreme violence and decadence, it was doing the world a service.

The important point to remember is that God gave them the choice to stop murdering and raping.  They said,

''it was doing the world a service.''

This ''practical aspect'' is not important. God could instantly and effortlessly rid the world of the murders without killing them.

Of course, one could speak of other reasons like justice.

I wonder about the sense in such justice. Why do harm to the evil if it does no good to anyone?

That's a point, god wiped away not only the rapists and thieves, but the raped and the... thieved from. So if the victims were as bad as the perpetrators (the only logical assumption, because the other one is that god killed innocent people), why not just leave the world to its own devices?

That's a point, god wiped away not only the rapists and thieves, but the raped and the... thieved from. So if the victims were as bad as the perpetrators (the only logical assumption, because the other one is that god killed innocent people), why not just leave the world to its own devices?

I tend to view it as the earth having become infested with wickedness, the likes of which we haven

''God wanted to rid the world of the infestation so that mankind could prosper once more in a less violent world.  ''

Look my point was that God is omnipotent. He could teleport them all to another planet if he wanted. Then he could deliver whatever punishment he wants.

I will say though, that the thought of a world of rapists and thieves getting punished by rape and thievery is very amusing. Depending on the motive of the rapist that might be no punishment at all though :D

Look my point was that God is omnipotent. He could teleport them all to another planet if he wanted. Then he could deliver whatever punishment he wants.

Yes, I suppose an omnipotent God could have done a great many things, but what He chose to use was a natural disaster (literally an act of God).  Your point? :)

Come on now. I'll just re-quote my point:

"This ''practical aspect'' is not important"

(edit: in reference to Hwi mostly, posted while Dante did... Mentioning this because I wouldn't want to imply that I necessarily disagree with Dante [to make it absolutely clear, I don't necessarily agree either])

To serve justice, God chose to meet malicious crimes with a malicious punishment.  Once again, He gave them the choice to avoid all of this.  They chose to ignore Him, therefore, they chose to die in the flood.  It all could have been avoided.  God is no more the bad guy here than a judge handing down a sentence to a violent criminal.

Everything god is and does is a circular argument. God does X because it's good, and X is good because god does it. Similarly, anyone condemned by god must have done something bad, because if they hadn't then god would not have condemned them. And those various biblical figures who stoned, sexed, invaded and tortured their way through the bible without being condmned, they were doing good because god didn't smite them.

It's a ridiculous circle. Judges have an external law that they themselves only represent. They neither exemplify the law nor dictate it.

Though, in this case the argument is that these people were evil.

Then again, it's funny that we are speaking about something of which we have no proof ever occurred.

The proof of the occurrence would almost certainly rely on such circular logic. Thus, the entire discussion seems moot.

(edit)

Relying on actual proven events, it would seem that God is... completely indifferent and inactive.

Some would argue that inactivity in this case equates to villainy.