Frank Herbert's Dune vs. Dune

gryphon

I've been playing Frank Herbert's Dune for a couple of weeks now and couldn't help to think of it as Dune I in a more grafical outfit.

So I wonderd what you all think of this. Is it just Dune in a more grafical enviourment with some "modern" extra's ?

And just like Westwood did with Dune II, the evolution to C&C and back to what it all started with by releasing Dune 2000 and Dune Emperor. Cryo did it with Dune, as they made Frank Herbert's Dune a couple fo years later.

If and only if ;D

Mayby we'll see the same evolution as the Star Trek games whent trough. From roleplaying, adventure to real time stategy, first persone shooter as in away team and then the release of Armade II so back to RTS. One subject and primairy "story line" for a lot of different kind of games. But there are a lot of Star Trek fans who would be potential buyers of evry Star Trek related game that will  be released, So gamedevelopers see them as a good potential marked.

Back to Dune. It would be nice to kill some Harkonnen in a Dune FPS. On the other hand, I just don't like to see the Dune story "raped" by Westwood or other game producers just to make a profitable game that is interesting to a lot of potential customers.

When I have the tendency to frag  some one I'll just play Ghost recon or New world order.

Not just marketing also consumer appeal, with the involvement of the other Houses it could make Dune more appealing on the gaming side. Take for example how with Star Trek how they have the game Klingon Acedemy you could have a similar apporach with Harkonnens or the Ordos. One thing to keep in mind about Dune is that it is not like certain other sci-fic epics in the aspect that it is not hi-tech gagetry ment to bedazzle it's audience. Not to say this is the only appeal the others offer but it is a big attraction in a sort of way in my IMO.

Don't you get consumer appeal by means of marketing ? :)

A lot of things "in fassion" are at that position becausse of marketing, the acual product has nothing to do with it.

That's what I think also, but because of Dune being a "different" fantasy ( or mayby science fiction ) genre ( for lack of a better word ) I'm affraid that they will change to much of the origional consept to make it more apealling to get more consumers.

It's something I'm "affraid" of, don't say they will have to or will do that. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I agree that the Dune story shouldent be spoiled and as for people who just make something out of Dune or any other concepts such as star wars ect just for the sake of making a few extra bucks they should be lined up and SHOT!

I beleave that it is alright to make new games and expand the universe. As long as it is done in the right way. If the person who is making it, is genuine and puts enough thought into the matter then everything should be alright. It only makes what weve already got even better as it leaves you thirsty for more.