how to stop popups?

I have to close down my internet security and virus scanner when i want to play generals game online. As i have cable, i am connected to the internet all the time.

When i start playing generals game, after a while some "advertisement popups" come to my desktop.

This is very annoying as in the middle of gameplay, the game closes down in the background and my screen is full of those unwanted popups :-

What can be done to avoid this?

I have the program "ad aware" and i have deleted all the unnecessary files that it could find.

Those popups are generated by my internet provider, sometimes after 20min of gameplay i have like 20 advertisements on my desktop.

And the worst of all, my harddisc keeps spinning resulting in laggy gameplay

In the Netherlands BBnet, @Home and Essent are offering CDroms with there cable modem installation. When you ask a guy from your ISP to install your connection he installs this software packedge as part of the total. This usually has a programm that monitors you internet connection [ speed, data amount send and recieved and such ] and reports that back to you ISP. The system helpdask [ and service centre ] use the same software in case you have a problem to run there diagnostics tool on. In order for your internet connection to work installation of this software packadge is not nessecary however.

And as you have a cable connection, the only thing that can be nessesary for you to have on your computer is a certain computer name, IP adres, domain name and call in name and or passwords, depending on the type of network they are loggin you into. No software shoudl be installed on your part that is special on that disk. [ in most cases, there can be an exeption but that would be new to me ]

The ISP Wanadoo and another one who's name I can't remember at this point had a modem dial up connection a few years back where you had a free number to call into, you just had to accept popups every ones in a while. Could be it's in your contract somewhere, allthought with cable providers it's not common .. ..

I'll try to see if I can get a responds from a guy working there. . .if it's anything improtant I let you know.

Norton internet security also has the capabilety to block pupops. So do some internet brouwsers. But think iin your case the problem is not related to that.

I finally called my internet help desk.

The popups are not generated by my provider but by the sites that i have visited earlier. On the top of each advertisment "telenet" was only mentioned as they were my internet provider.

I had to delete all cookies and temporary internet files and history. They also suggested to use adware, what i already had done.

• 1 month later...

Updated situation: i still get those publicity popups when playing generals.

All programs in the background have been shut and memory has been scanned by Ad-aware, and found files been deleted. Internet security and virusscanner are off.

Cookies and temporary files have been deleted before playing game.

Does anybody know if i can completely delete all those gator files ( see pic ) without having problems afterwards with my other programs? These files were found when scanning my harddisc with Ad-aware.

Any suggestions? What is the purpose of those gator files anyway?

[attachment archived by Gobalopper]

You should delete any sign of Gator you see. It's mess...

There is a real good program on the net, named RegCleaner, what allows you to remove any single entry out of your Windows Registry. So you can remove any sign of programs you once uninstalled, but still showed up. With this you can remove ad programs too. And it functions as the normal Windows Registry Manager for the rest (you can easily uninstall programs with it)

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

Oh my god ... i used Ad aware version 5.83 and deleted all spyware files but those popups are still comming.

Popups are mostly generated from www.clickspring.net

I will try what you suggested Timenn

Any suggestions what could be done next, maybe something in internet settings?

Well you can always reinstall windows, or format computer at own risk.

Also maybe try looking for this ad thing in the registry and if you know it is for sure delete it.(at own risk) err wait adaware should find that right?

But backup registry first in case you screw up.

I always reinstall windows or format if i have a problem that "needs" to be resolved but am unable to in conventional ways.

You could use an alternative internet browser [ if you are using IE or Netscape at the moment ]. A lot of them have the option to block pop-ups more effectivly then IE and contain a lot of handy extra features with it.

Mozilla is one, and Opera isn't that bad either. Mozilla is more popular though.

I recently have come to get this problem as well... (i think it's that stupid imesh program >:( ) gotta uninstall that... pointless anyway

I think I got Imesh also once and uninstalled it after 5 days as the garbage it installed was horrible, and took a while to get rid of it.

I installed the new version 6 of Ad aware, i scanned again and it found 37 new spyware files, mostly from gator again >:(

I made a quarantaine backup and have deleted the 37 files.

Result: gator files are away but popups are still there :'(