the known universe

Emperor Harkonnen

Here's my theory based on using the Prequels (or, I suppose, the DE) as canon. I'll discuss spoilers here.

The central Imperium - the hustle and bustle, the hot spots, the... - is within our own galaxy. This is due to the FTL drives they used. In the prequels, these seem to be something like Star Trekkian warp drives, while the DE describes Hyperdrive-like tech, if I recall correctly. While making thing fairly fast, an intergalactic flight would still be thousands and thousand of years.

However, once the power of the Spice was revealed and the Spacing Guild was formed, the maximum practical distance-limit was extended infinitely. Heighliners can travel ANYWHERE in the universe in roughly the same time. As a result, I believe that there would most likely be things like outposts/research stations, and backwater planets in other galaxies by the year 10,191. Because these planets are so obscure, they aren't mentioned in the books, while stars that exist in our own night sky (i.e. Delta Pavonis; Canopus; Beta Ophiuchus) have been civilized for a longer time, and this have more "prestiege" and commonality with the rest of the Universe.

A speculative note:

Perhaps the Enemy from whom the Honoured Matres were fleeing were in fact people from pre-Jihad times, who used their "primitive" FTL drives to explore/colonize other galaxies. Any thoughts?

I think the "known universe" refers to the universe that we live in, because maybe exist another universe or dimension, that they don`t know it exist. Or that the universe is a lot bigger than they imagine, or there are unexplored areas.

I think the "known universe" refers to the universe that we live in, because maybe exist another universe or dimension, that they don`t know it exist. Or that the universe is a lot bigger than they imagine, or there are unexplored areas.

I think the term "known universe" simply means the part of the universe that has been explored so far.