World War II Commentaries

"The second front, starting with D-day, was only realised when it became obvious that the Soviets were going to win, and England and the US wanted to save as much territory as possible."

D-Day had been being planned for long before... The fact that the russians had really started was useful for it to work, but could barely be called a cause.

Note also the naval front, which seems to have been forgotten a bit here...

argh... capitalism may be evil and it may hurt many people, but it is the only damn system that is monitarily successful, as well as mercintalism and stuff, early forms of capitalism. Communism only works in small communities. Overall though you cant trust the leaders to stay sharp and clear headed. They will always abuse their power. we are all sinners. naive thinking is dangerous. I know edric that you are a great guy and I am not bashing you or the system. I just dont want you to get into the typical progressive attitude that can lead to many problems.

lol You guys have got every thing mixed up! ::)

1)The Russian Tanks were far superior to German ones

eg:T-34 was the best mass produced tank in WW2 - the German Panther was based on it but wasnt better than it.

The Josef Stalin Mk3 Tank was easily the best tank although there were only small nubers. It could easily beat a German Elefant with its Turret mounted 150mm gun.

2)The Soviet Planes were not inferior - the fact that loads of them got destroyed on the ground doesn't make them any worse. However, the Soviets had not invented the Jet engine yet (we Brits did and the first ever Jet flight took place right where I live in my Village 8))

Did you know?

If Britain made peace with Germany in 1940 then by 1950 Germany would have Mach 18 Nuclear Bombers

the russian yak was cheap, utilized cheap metal and other materials. It was slow, it had very few guns and a low capacity of external weapon holds. Very horrible compared to german planes. The tanks you talked about were very inferior. The cheap quality of their weapons of war is the reason. Russians copied many of the german designs. Such as the ak 47, which was a copy of the strum gaveir, the first assult rifle utilized during the end of ww2 by the germans. It looks almost exactly like the ak. Many of the armored weapons were a copy as well because of their connections earlier with germany.

the russian yak was cheap, utilized cheap metal and other materials. It was slow, it had very few guns and a low capacity of external weapon holds. Very horrible compared to german planes. The tanks you talked about were very inferior. The cheap quality of their weapons of war is the reason. Russians copied many of the german designs. Such as the ak 47, which was a copy of the strum gaveir, the first assult rifle utilized during the end of ww2 by the germans. It looks almost exactly like the ak. Many of the armored weapons were a copy as well because of their connections earlier with germany.

Which "yak"? Do you mean Jakovlev's Yak-3, 5, 7 or 9? Yak-3 was comparable to Messerschmitt Bf 109E, what was standard craft on invasion's begin. But when came Yak-5 and MiG-3 (which had a flaw - only three guns, two 7,7 and one 12,7 mm), these were faster and also rised faster than Bf 109F and G. And Yak-9, that was able to fly with 700 kph velocity. These planes were cheap, made primarily from wood, but that doesn't mean they were inferior. 359 shot-downs of Erich Hartmann were made against obsolete double-deckers like Polikarpov I-15 or american Airacobras (why they gave them worst?). New generation craft like Yaks, Lavockin La-5 (versatile fighter, very maneuverable, which nearly drove out SS brigades fightning against Slovak partisans), Iljusin Il-2, MiG-3 or Petlakov Pe-2 were more than equal to Luftwaffe's types. Just their industry was too slow to fully replace obsolete ones enough quickly.

AK-47 was designed after war - that number was chosen because of year ;) Also it was same year, when came Yak-15, first russian jet, which in fact was based on german Jumo 009 engine.

AK-47 is not that accurate, but a M-16A2 is hella accurate, with a scope it becomes a sniper rifle! :) An OICW-GL is an Objective Individual Combat Weapon Grenade Launcher, just go here ...

http://www.hkpro.com/oicw.htm

So, kalasnikov can use sniper scope too, I've fired from such, and it is accurate. At least in my hands 8)

the U.S. has some great new weapons out right now. Let me just compare the AK-47 with the M-16A2.

My mom was in the military and she complained all the time during firing practice. The thing always jams. Many military historians will say that the M 16 was modified so that jamming and the like was not a problem anymore. That isnt true. The M 16 is a pretty unreliable gun. The ak 47 though is considered one of the most rugged ever made. Take the Navy Seals for example. Though they are issued m 16's, they usually use m 14's and guns like the ak 47! this is because the m 16 isnt all it is cracked up to be. They jam, they are horrible in adverse weather conditions, they tried to fix it with a knob that jets out on the side. You hit it whenever it jams or when you load in your clip. That doesnt even work all the time! sure, people who really havent experianced the gun will say great things. Not people though who have been out there in the field. Some love it, but many many many, do not like it at all.

Oh please tma, if it was that unreliable, it wouldn't be the military issued gun. It wouldn't be the issued gun for wars if it jammed all of the time, and it wouldn't be the rifle a Marine is trained to love and have all of their military lives if it was inadequate.