Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Cylor, were you able to try the game on a system with a different videocard ?

Lauden, please reply to me if you haven't heard anything from Westwood tech support.

My e-mail is respect_30@hotmail.com

(you did reply to the automated message stating it didn't help you right ?).

Any one else having an update on their probs (or new ones) ?

Thanks guys.

"Doc" Nyar...

Got this reply from WW:

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response (WW Ashish Kukshal) - 02/20/2002 12:36 AM

Hello!

I'm sorry we do not have any support for Windows XP at this point of time. It has just been released. An evaluation will be made as to determine which products will be supported on that OS.Keep an eye on our website for the latest news and updates. Thanks

Customer - 02/20/2002 12:08 AM

Why does the menu in Emperor look like tutti-frutti (rgb) so that i can't read what the buttons says? Also, EAsy_EA won't run on Windows Xp...

Question Reference #020220-000168

---------------------------------------------------------------

It's not Radar's first day on this thread :)

His first post in this thread dates from the 12th of November 2001 (page 21 I believe he posted for the first time) and therefore I think Westwood Tech support ows him big time for his patience and may I add, without any flame or bashing towards Tech support. I for one find it very sad to see a reply as they gave him today..

The official statement of Tech support is that they do not support XP. Never the less, thanks to XP he's able to at least start the game..

"Doc" Nyar...

Guest archieb

Hi Nyariathotep: I have completed the following things.. removed seti@home ,,closed or deactivated Esafe protect watch, zone alarm, winpoet, task scheduler and most of the stuff on the tray execpt screen settings and volume. I did cntl+alt+del to espwaatch, rundll, loadqm, rundll32, osa, stimon, rnaapp; and left on explorer. then i loaded the ebfd install disk and clicked install. the comp froze. nothing would move. the cursor arrow w/hour glass was stuck bbut the install screne was still showing. to get thins started i had to do a hard shutdown, wait 10 secs. then restart. everything came back to the regular start except the sys ran scandisk before win came up. right now i'm stymed cause all i try nothing works with the game. the IT where i volenteer say's i might reload the cd installer again, i did it didn't change things. i might try to reload win98se again. the IT said since i had a free hd i might replace it for the "c" dr. and completely reload everything on the larger dr. don't know what to do... still need help!!. i also ran dxdiags, scandisk, and defrag and the sys locks up when i try to reinstall. so what's next ... archieb :-[

HI Archieb, could you provide me with an output of the EASy program ? It should be on the install cd (it's called ez.exe), but you can also download it via the following link:

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/support/ez.exe

Do you have any cd copy programs installed ? if so, try uninstalling them. Another thing that might help, is to copy the cd to your harddrive, then try to install.

I'll await your output capture for more suggestions..

"Doc" Nyar...

hmm maybe you guys can solve this its not much.

i can't get my emperor disc out and it failed to load.

anyone can say how i can get it out another way then pressing the eject button?

ps. i'm not going to try to push that button again my computer wil constantly stay at one point that sais: boot from atapi cd-rom and it won't go further.

i'm just lucky to post this.

i didn't solved my problem i just figured it out how to get my computer working not how to get the disc out or run emperor.

devise: you said windows cd player, where do i have to go?

i tried an program similar to that but it didn't work so i couldn't start my computer for a while untill i solved it.

Guest Cylor856

I haven't had the opportunity yet to try running the game on an XP system with a different video card. My work schedule hasn't left me with enough time to visit any of my friends, let alone install a game on their computers.

Interesting note here, the Westwood reply Radar posted is word for word, exactly the same cut-and-paste response they gave me, after I'd explained my situation to them... twice.

And when I say cut and paste, that is precisely what I mean. As I've said, I've worked tech support, so I know how this works. This is not anti-Westwood flaming, because I'm sure those guys get thousands of redundant game-related e-mails every day. But it's still frustrating to not only know that your problem is being ignored, but to know exactly WHY and HOW it's being ignored.

Ken, what happend that your eject button doesn't work ? You didn't use you cdrom drive as a cupholder now did you ? :D

Seriously, go to start => programs => accessories => entertainment => cd player.

I believe there should be an option to eject the cd.

[Edit: Oh and don't worry, they know this thread very well :) ]

"Doc" Nyar...

[This message has been edited by Nyarlathotep (edited 02-21-2002).]

Cylor, I'm not bashing tech support either, but it's just frustrating to see that after such a long time, Radar decided to upgrade and actually got in EBFD, something that wasn't possible before...

Maybe people should note in their case with tech support that they consulted "The Lockup Issue" thread and need a tech who actually get's paid to do this :D

"Doc" Nyar...

Don`t know if this has been posted before, but i will post it anyway. I was looking at WestWood tech support pages for patches, and noticed that the "newest" patch for Emperor was v108. So i logged onto their FTP to check if there was something more. Among it was v109 and a fix:

--------------------

A small group of our players using certain types of CD/DVD/CDR drives have

experienced trouble installing EMPEROR: BATTLE FOR DUNE. The attached files

and these instructions should resolve any hardware incompatibilities found

during the installation procedure.

--------------------

The fix can be downloaded here:

ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/emperor/update/EMPENGINSTFIX10.ZIP

hmm i just need to know how to do this: my computer looks to the disc thats in normal my cd-rom drive (e) i can also put discs in my other one (f)

i don't know how to adjust it so he wil look in 'f' instead of the my normal cd-rom drive (e)

sorry for the crappy english i'll look it up in the dictionary if i have to :D

i tried it with another games and it worked

Ken, very easy to change..

In the EBFD folder, there's a file called "resource.cfg". Open it and change the following lines:

MOVIES1

I:Movies

MOVIES2

MOVIES3

MOVIES4

CD1

I:

CD2

I:

CD3

I:

CD4

I:

Where "I" is the cd drive you want to play from.

"Doc" Nyar...