Re: Lockup issues! Post here please

Nyarlathotep

Guest nclestink

I've been resolved :)

Just wanted to let you know what I have determined.

I first put each item on it's own IRQ. My SCSI card and Graphics were on the same IRQ..

Secondly I noticed that it was really hanging and crashing whenever it went to read from the cdrom during the game. I found a nocd patch for the game, and copied cd's 2-4 to my hard drive. I know the cd rom thing was done for copy protection reasons, but it was harming my game play as a purchased player.

Now I don't have the latency issues relating to cdrom access and no more crashing.

david

Guest lauden147

Yes, I patched the game each time. I don't know if lots of people have a problem like this (I guess they seem to), but I have done almost everything short of reformatting completely.

lauden147, the game works with Windows ME. I'm having Windows ME and have no problems in playing EBFD.

If the game kick's you back to desktop after almost being finished, I would say that's the culprint in not being able to run the game. (eventhough it say 100%, it shouldn't kick you back to desktop in low res.).

I'll look into a few things and get back to you.

"Doc" Nyar...

Guest redonblue

Thanks for the advice.....

but not confident enough to update motherboard......how?

I used to have lock ups in gameplay..but having followed various advice.this board & Westwood & for some reason not using the original game discs,these problems seemed to go away.....

the problem is now without knowingly changing anything...i get illegal operation ,with the message......

DF394B.TMP attempted to read from memory that does not exist.It may be using an uninitialized variable,or it may be attempting to access memory after having freed it.

thanks

btw i reinstalled using originals but same problem..... any ideas??

redonblue, I searched all places I know about your last problem.

The file you specified is a temp file. What programs did you have running while trying EBFD ? If you did not already do this, close down all programs except for "Systray" & "Explorer".

Reason I ask is I don't see any reason for a temp file to be accessing memory, unless it's in current use. Usually when a (temp) file is in use, you'll see something like "~" that in front of it..

As for updating your motherboard chipset, it was more for the reason why EBFD locked up. If it isn't locking up anymore, I would say leave it for now. As for the procedure, all depends on what BIOS manufacturer (or motherboard) you're having. When updating the BIOS, there's always a good description that comes with it.

Let me know about the first part of this reply..

"Doc" Nyar...

lauden147, uninstall the game and delete any files/folders that are left.

Run scandisk and when finished, defrag (might take a while when you haven't done that on a regular bases).

Then install the game (don't update EBFD if the game doesn't finish the installation).

Let me know if the game finishes the installation..

"Doc" Nyar...

Gobalopper, do you know if there are any plans for an XP patch for EBFD ?

Cylor, I've asked several people I know(and don't know for that matter) and they all state "get rid of the Viper", or try the developers XP patch for the game..

I'm still looking into one possibility, but after that, I'm kinda clueless..

"Doc" Nyar...

Guest Cylor856

Yeah, I read that post Gobalopper mentioned when I first ran into my problems, in fact it was what led me here (after Westwood basically told me I was on my own).

Well, hopefully I will be getting a better-paying job in the near future, which will enable me to get a better video card. Luckily I came by this Viper II second-hand, so I'm not as ****ed about this as I would be if I'd paid full price for that card. Still, if I end up getting a new one (like maybe a GeForce 2, or something... I dunno), I will probably have spent about six times as much money trying to resolve this problem as I did on Emperor, in the first place. Sigh...

Please don't misunderstand, I don't mean to vent my frustrations on you all. As it is, I greatly appreciate all the time and effort you've put in on my behalf. I can't say that I'm *happy* about this situation, but it's not the end of the world.

I'm hoping I'll have a chance to test the game out on another XP system sometime soon, but I have no idea when. But I definitely want to do that before I invest in a new video card, and will let you know of the results. Whenever it happens...

I have got a problem when running EBFD, after the installation of the game, i run it, i get the splash screen, a black screen for a second or so and then the game shuts down. I have an ATI RADEON 7200 and I use the soundcard on my motherboard, MSI KT266A Pro2. I have runned the game on my PC before with a Matrox G400 & SBLive 1024.

Thanks in advance...

Cylor, I will try and keep looking for other solutions for you. My issue is that I don't have XP myself, so I can't test anything for you and therefore depend on what I find.

I will get back to you, so please check this thread every now and then. Also, if you have tested the game on another XP system, be sure to let me know how it went !

"Doc" Nyar...

Cylor, try uninstalling EBFD, running defrag, then reinstall it and immediately defragging again to make sure all the program files stay together.

Also, I asume you have all ingame graphical settings set to low/disable (especially shadows)..

"Doc" Nyar...

Guest redonblue

Nyar,

thanks for your help & interest.....

the temp file did have that "~" before it.......

I will try again with closing down all but systray & explorer but when it did work fine i didn't close anything down.

What i don't get is why no other game has caused problems like this.

Once again thanks for the interest.

Cheers

Guest lauden147

Nyar, after uninstalling, clearing my pc of the westwood files, scanning, defragging, and reinstalling- the same exact thing happens....

kingofall, happy gaming and enjoy :)

Deadje, try upgrading your drivers. Also, check page 26 for a summary of suggestions till then. If it doesn't work, please copy your e-report in here and let Westwood tech support know about your problem (in the summary it's shown how).

"Doc" Nyar...

That's exactly what I was looking for, gracia's :)

As there are no plans to release a XP patch for Westwood, we need to dig into it ourselfs. My bet is on the videocard.

We've tried all drivers, yet none of them were official releases for XP.

Again, try it on another XP system if possible and let me know..

"Doc" Nyar...