Emperor under WindowsXP! Help me please...

mavgr70

Hi,

I'm a new member here and my question is simple: is there any way to play Emperor under WindowsXP? I've tried the "compatability mode" feature with

no results. I'm using WindowsXP Pro with the Service Pack 1 and i've also downloaded Emperors latest patch (v109).

Thank you in advance

Yes, Emperor works in XP. Since you have already tried compatability mode I would ask you to submit a DirectX Diagnostic log file as an attachment to your reply. To get this log file click on the start menu and select run. In the text field type "dxdiag" and press enter. Click on the save all information button and save the text file. Send that file as an attachment please.

I have the same problem with the.. I haven't played the game in over 2 months now..

It starts up, the image of emperor is shown, and than nothing.. nothing happens.

If i don't put the cd-rom into my computer, it requests that i do so..

Look at my TXT please.

Greetz

Did Emperor used to work? If so what changed on your system? I see nothing out of the ordinary (other than Earth 2150 is not installed correctly) in your DxDiag log file. Do you have a lot of processes running in the background? Have you tried compatability mode?

I have the same problem with the.. I haven't played the game in over 2 months now..

It starts up, the image of emperor is shown, and than nothing.. nothing happens.

If i don't put the cd-rom into my computer, it requests that i do so..

Look at my TXT please.

Greetz

Hmm, I use XP-home, and indeed Emperor hangs after the splash screen. Using the task manager (Ctl-Alt-Del) I kill the process, and restart Emperor,..... (tension builds :) )

And it works! The strange thing is that it occasionally slows down during a crowded battle, even on my PIV-2.66Ghz-512Mb-GeForce440-64Mb which should be enough to play I guess.

-JB

Hmm, I use XP-home, and indeed Emperor hangs after the splash screen. Using the task manager (Ctl-Alt-Del) I kill the process, and restart Emperor,..... (tension builds :) )

And it works! The strange thing is that it occasionally slows down during a crowded battle, even on my PIV-2.66Ghz-512Mb-GeForce440-64Mb which should be enough to play I guess.

-JB

Try to put shadows to off if you haven't done so already. You should see a huge difference :)

I am a little sketchy by what you mean when you say "I tried everything." Could you give a list of what you have tried to fix the problem? I am looking through your posts and I don't see a lot of feedback from you on what you did to try and fix the problem. One suggestion I don't see here that could fix the movie playback problem would be putting the "+w" option on the command line. Here's a quote from the westwood website:

Why is the Emperor video slow or choppy? Why doesn't the sound match the video?

Answer

We have implimented a feature that solves most video synchronization problems. Symptoms of these problems include choppy video at any time in the movies or game play or sound either ahead or behind the video.

You can do this by right clicking on the shortcut, and then selecting the properties option. You'll then see a text field that has a directory listing, something like "C:westwoodemperoremperor.exe". You'll need to place a +w at the end of this line, resulting in "C:westwoodemperoremperor.exe +W". This should remedy your video choppyness during movies. If not simply reply and we'll further diagnose your situation.

If this did not solve your problem, please ensure that your video drivers, as well as DirectX is up to date.

It's worth a shot.

Hey, the problem started when I had just installed the game.... :(

What else could it be!!?????

If this is a reply to me asking to try and lower the resolution, I'm kinda lost. With lowering the resolution I mean the resolution on your desktop, as well as the adapter refresh rate (set to default).

What Number6 suggested might be worth a try as well.

Goodevening everyone...

I have read this thread from 1st to last and have not really gotten my question answered.

I see where it seems some are able to get the game to run under XP Pro.. I have gone to the regular T support and all they say is it isnt supported under xp...

In short

P2 450

128 Ram

32 SB Nvid.. Geforce GTS

110 G HD

Ess MB sound 1968(?).

other then runing xp pro I am with in the specs req.

I have tried the DrtX was runing 8 just installed 9.

tried compat mode

all to no avail.

I really would like to try this game...

TY in advance for any assistance to any and all who may try to assist.

Bulldog-=TWB=-

Heretic, could you explain what your exact problem is ? Also, try to attach your dxdiag output.

Sorry About that...

in short (step by step).

1. with these disks auto run does not function I have to manually load the game.

(there are no scratches on disk)

2. the Play, community, etc... window opens

3. I click play (I have already run the update to 1.09?)

4. Play window disappears and another EBfD window loads for a few seconds.

5. My Mouse starts to react and show background activity

6. The EBfD window disappears... background mouse stops

7. Nothing else happens

FYI.. From what I can tell the emperior.exe opens the same window as IDed as EBfD above.. I assume that this then should open the Game.exe

As stated in my first post I used Compat mode and set these two files to win ME,98,95 to no avail nothing worked.

TY again for any assistance