Something GOOD Bush did- or do you think he is too evil to do anything good?

ixianmace, that is what capital punishment is. you take someone's life in cold blood, you CHOOSE to forfeit your life. Its a choice the murderer makes. Society is not choosing to put him to death. All murderers know about the death penalty, when they murder, they chose, of their own free will, to forfeit their life.

no, killing innocents is bad. i do not support that. i support capital punishment. of course, you cannot make the system fullproof, but 1 in 10 innocents to guilt is too high a ratio. for death penalty, there must be really really solid proof, IMHO.

ixian, people are not put to death for killing in a drunken stooper. that is not murder #1. Only Murder #1 gets you death (premeditated). Murder #2 (drunken stooper) gets you life

case in point: serial snipers of washington DC.

they will be executed...and rightly so

Don't let them walk, imprison them. If a person turns out not guilty afterall, he can be released and compensated for his unjust imprisonment. You can't turn around a death penalty.

As far as I am concerned, there are two goals with punishment.

- Let the criminal realise the error of his ways, and reeducate him

- Safeguarding society

And what is accomplished with death penalty? The family of the victim would probably be glad the murderer is dead, but I don't see how that could be any reason for killing someone.

"As far as I am concerned, there are two goals with punishment.

- Let the criminal realise the error of his ways, and reeducate him

- Safeguarding society"

lol! what ever happened to justice? what ever happened to deterrence?

man your society would be a bloodbath. people hate each other earthnuker. look at the world.

if you stake your hopes on some grandiose Buddha like "ascension" of man that you can rehabillitate everyone so that there is one big happy world, you are mistaken. A land w/o justice is a land of death.

Your point? What's wrong with imprisoning murderers rather then killing them? If there is no hope of rehabilitation (happens often), then they shoud be imprisoned for life.

And deterrence? I think it's repugnant you even suggest that. If someone steals a bread, he should be killed so that people won't do it as quickly again? Heck, I have an even better idea. Broadcast the execution on TV! That's bound to scare off a whole lot of potential criminals! This is not about justice, this is about making an example of one.

"If someone steals a bread, he should be killed so that people won't do it as quickly again?"

Justice must prevail over deterrence.

When punishment fits the crime, you have deterrence. Killing someone for stealing bread is not justice. Neither is chopping off their hands as Muslims do. Its interesting to see people come to the defense of murderers but when it comes to the innocent unborn, they are the first to let them die.

backwards, aren't we?

well IMO it's wrong to base justice upon the bible. Some Islamic states does (not using the bible obviously) with the Sharia law. I don't suport that either. I read a news article a few days ago, where a young man was hanged for being cought while being drunk for the third time.

I know you're aren't supporting this emprworm, what I'm saying is that I find death sentences very unhuman. I haven't studied the bible much, I have one but don't really read it. Yet from what I've learned God seemed to be alot more violent in the beginning and then when Jesus came we learned a new thing, to turn the other cheek.

turning the cheeck, ect: those things apply to indiviuals. a society MUST have justice or it will be anarchy. unless you punish murderers and I'm not referring to spening billions on them for psycho-analysis, but justice for their crimes, unless you are a just nation, your streets will be tainted with blood. The bible does not support a man being hanged for drinking. That man was hanged because he lives in an unjust society where murder goes unpunished. Those men who murdered that man should be tried, and if found guilty, executed (if premeditated). Might make others think twice before murdering someone in cold blood.

I agree that there must be justice yes, but still I'll never vote yes for the capital punishment. I'd rather send them to prison regardless of the cost, I think we'll be able to afford it.

As for the man being hanged I again agree with you (spooky I know), I don't think I'd last long if the Sharia came to my country.