Dune Risk

nampigai

yes i did, but that was before I seen the map, I could just draw over the backround. im not sure what program i would use to overlap the 2 pics though. probably easier to just make one up.

yes 52 regions sounds good. although i may need to make map bigger so it wont be all bunched up, and you could make out text.

i did make a map twice as big as original. (not by stretching but by copying the original and pasting it 3 times.)

yes you right. i did double the size of original map.. for the armies you could just write a # in the corner of its pic indicating the # of units of that kind. so you would only have a max of 3(army types)different pics in a country.

yes numbering the countries is a good idea. we should also have continents like in risk.(so can get bonus armies for controlling all of a continent).

thats assuming this is an online game where you update it. (wouldnt mind printing it all off though for myself ;D )

Yes, I posted my suggested rules in a post somewhere above. But with those 3 different army types. I meant a card what you get when you conquered a territory

sorry i don't understand what you mean by needing space for cards for conquering territory..

i will look at the rules.

In normal risk, you would get a card if you conquered a territory. You had 3 types of them. The infantery, the cavalry, and the artillery (just images). You could exchange those cards for armies, when you had 3 of the same, or 1 of each kind.

I replaced those names and pictures now for dune armies.

Andrew, overlaying images isn't difficult if you have the right software. If you want, I'd be happy to do it once you have a map completed. My reccomendation is this: first design a draft with minimal colors and without concern to "rounded edges" (a fine example of this is the world map from C&C Red Alert). After that, add curvature and some basic colouring for design purposes (e.g. to differentiate desert from rock terrain). And at the end add background overlays and add whatever additional polish is needed.

As to the rules of Risk!, each turn in which the player has successfully conquered a region he is permitted to pick up a card, not to exceed five in his hand. Each card is of one of three sub-groups. At the end (or maybe the beginning, another game I haven't played in a while) the player has the option of exchanging three cards of either the same subgroup or one of each subgroup for a certain number of free armies. The number of armies awarded increases after every time an exchange in performed.

--Bashar

this is actually harder than i thought it would be. I will try making sections on bashars map now. if he can overlay it with the backround.

but i am not familiar with your map bashar, are the boundaries symbolized by the blue lines, and the rest is just phyisical objects? what do the different colors indicate?

this is actually harder than i thought it would be.

Every project always looks easier before you start. I learned that one the hard way, too. :-) I sincerely wish you every luck in this endeavour and am happy to lend a hand where I can.

Here's an idea I had in regards to continents: "Continents" could be the great deserts of Arrakis. i.e. The Great Flat, the Funeral Plain, Habbayana Erg, Ceilago Basin, etc. When a player controls the whole of a desert, his spice production increases as a result of safety from attacks, which in game terms means bonus armies.

Likewise, as a special Dune twist to the game, you could make up another deck of cards of all the desert regions. During each turn, several cards would be picked up and some or all of the armies in the region listed on that card removed from play as a result of Worm attacks.

This way the player would have a choice between conquering desert regions or rock regions. Rock territory is safe from worm attacks but only receives normal income of 1 army per three controlled regions whereas trying to conquer desert regions may result in increased profits but put your armies at the mercy of Shai-Hulud.

--Bashar

ok, this is as much as i got done so far. im not sure if some closed in places will be countries, but i think if you dont count some closed in areas there is only about 40 countries. so tell me if you can think of another spot to put a country or to split one, or anything. and yes some colors do seem a bit off, might try to fix that later. it may also be hard to see some countries boundaries.

ok, i was able to blend the backround with the pic, but it is 500kb so im not going to post it until i do more to the map.

i just tried that and it does make it look better.

I have most pics up on my website. I will update this site as much as possible with what we are doing..if you wish, I could post the army types on this page as well.

http://users.eastlink.ca/~sherrya/Dune.html

yah i have about 20 differennt versions of this map, so if we need to backtrace it wont be to hard.

why yes, I beleive so. Although I think I will try to color in more before putting the backround in.

That top one is the most recent (or closest to what finished product will look like). It is just showing what the map would like like with the backround. I added the backround to the second pic from top.

The main problem will be to decide what country can attck what country. it is hard to tell between the e and f continents

yes i know those rules. but it is hard to distinguish what land is touching what land..an example would be does f5 touch f1? we could make up what touch what once we can balance the game out...i just updated the top pic. me be back in an hour.

ok i added a .txt document on that page that states what countries can attack what counrties.....make any corrections.

i also put the countries names, of what i could find. and made up some rough rules, that are just ideas.

All we really need to work on is rules and stuff.

ok, I was thinking, for resources, we could have 2. one would be water, and the other be spice. each, country could accumulate so much of each(or just one) and trade it in for armies(maybe instead of getting so many armies per turn per country, or it could be an added bonus) I think I am making this game to be a complicated strategy game. :-

(but possibly a good one) ;D

just figured out how to solve unknown country links. if you look at the original map by Bashar, the lines are more accurate.(on continents E and F)

There is one point I would like to make... this is a little embarrasing, region D2 isn't actually an, um, region. :-) I was only keeping that circle there as a reference for the size of city-locations (Arakeen, Sietch Tabr, Carthag, Tuek's Sietch). You, of course, can do what you like with it but I wanted to warn you that I haddn't put it there for any marking purpose.

Placing a "desert" region, similar as you had done with A2, up there might not be a bad idea, though. Perhaps one that connects the two D continents so they're not disjointed.

I noticed that area right of C9 and C1 and left of C5 is not classified as a region. Was there a reason for this or was it an oversight? I think I named that area Arsunt, even though the city is actually just to the west of it, on the border of the Carthag region.

I see this is a little late but here is an explanation of the colors I used in my map. Dark Brown: Start of rock terrain. Light Brown: Basin, sandy area of lower altitude than the surrounding terrain. Green: The point at which moisture levels become toxic to sand worms. Blue: Region borders, as you guessed.

Just write a post telling when you've completed and agreed upon a map and I'll see about doing the graphical overlay.

--Bashar

yes, the area to the right of C1 and c2 was an oversight, when i was numbering them. there are currently 50 regions, so im not sure if adding 1 to make 51 is a good idea.(but it could be.)

I could delete region A8, and make a region to the right of c1,c2

We'll pretend that D2 has some rocks or something. ;)

I was thinking connecting D2 and D5 with a line.

If you think these suggestions are good say so and i wil "fix them"

I'm, not sure what graphical overlay would be(especially if it is a programmers words)

I am finding it difficult to change the countries(deleteA8 and make C10), to difficult for me.

I am posting the final pic at my website, it is at the top. I only added the link between D2-D5

http://users.eastlink.ca/~sherrya/Dune.html