The Three Versions of Dune

bob_fox

I recently went to some Dune site, and they said that there are 3 different versions of the Dune movie (you know, the one made by David Lynch in 1984).

The most common version is the 137 min. version, which is officially released on VHS and DVD. I've got it on VHS.

The 2nd (not so common) version is called the '4 hour version' but is actually closer to 3 hours long (it's 4 hours long with commercial breaks). It's said that they show this version now and then on the Sci-Fi Channel.

The third version they didn't say much about.

I'd like to see the 2nd version. The site (I forgot where it is) said that the extra scenes in the '4 hour long' version detract somewhat from the movie since they aren't very good; but I still want to see this version. The site said that one can only get it in two ways: On "laserdisc" (I'm presuming they mean VCD or SVCD) or by taping it off the Sci-Fi channel (I don't have this channel).

How can I get this version? Does anybody have any ideas?

Version 1 is the 2 hour and 17 minute theatrical release.

Version 2 is an extended "4-hour" version (a.k.a. the Allen Smithee version) that occasionally plays on the Sci-Fi Channel. (In actuality, this "4-hour" version is about 3 hours plus commercials.)

Version 3 of the film was the Channel 2 version, which was pieced together and aired once in 1992 on television. This version is not available on video or laserdisc format. The best format is the DVD (if you have one or PS2 or Xbox owners ;)). I am not so sure about finding it on either VCD or SVCD if that is laserdisc those could only be found in Japan.

and, FYI, Allen Smithee is not a pen name of David Lynch.

The name Allen Smithee is a common name used when a version of a film is released that the original director wishes to distance him/herself from, i.e. they DO NOT condone the content and wish that it does not harm their reputation.

The site said that one can only get it in two ways: On "laserdisc" (I'm presuming they mean VCD or SVCD) or by taping it off the Sci-Fi channel (I don't have this channel).

laser disc is an independent format which isnt used much any more due to DVD and the more widespreading of VCDs.

and, FYI, Allen Smithee is not a pen name of David Lynch.

The name Allen Smithee is a common name used when a version of a film is released that the original director wishes to distance him/herself from, i.e. they DO NOT condone the content and wish that it does not harm their reputation.

really? wow ;)