Evolution and Creation

Inoculator9

all are in the word of God and one change would ruin the whole thing.

Then you honestly believe anything the bible says?

I don't know if it was in the bible, but christians used to believe the Earth was flat- do you?

you are exactly right repo man. Religion is a horrible thing. It kills and injures. I dont worship in a religion though. I believe in jesus christ as my savior and that he died for my sins. I follow the word of god. I dont follow man. I am not in a religion and there are many believers out there that arent. You have an axe to grind man.lol chill out.

Who delivers the words of God?

And exactly how were you raised- were you raised to be religious? In that case you follow your parents. If you were raised atheist and suddenly decide to become religious, then you don't follow anyone.

This may sound ridiculous, but sometimes I do envy religious people. They have faith- I have none. If I were to behave religiously, like pray before every meal and go to church on sundays, it would be hollow gestures for the simple reason I do not have faith. Say what you will, but you don't really determin what it is to believe in.

Edric I think you need to chill out man. Calling someone the athiest version of Bin Laden is highly offensive, to me anyway. If you want to flame, go to a different forum.

And wasn't that quote from the Religion thread? Repoman could never have seen that.

It doesn't sound at all ridiculous. I sometimes envy them too. Religious people really believe in a great perpuse for themselves, and that everyone can succeed. I think religion in the right people can be a wonderful thing. I'm atheist and I go to a Catholic school. Everything in the classes revolves around their religion. While sometimes I find it annoying having to sing christian songs, I do admire their total devotion to their beliefs.

Acriku, I was talking to Repoman, not you. And I was replying to the vast number of his posts which were highly offensive to me (probably just as offensive as the Bin Laden comment would be to you).

And actually, that quote isn't from the Religion thread. It's from another discussion about the exact same thing (just like this one), in which Repoman used the exact same arguments...

Well yes, technically that was a flame. Just like these:

Religion is racist, homophobic, sexist and dividing..... all traits of man.
Once achieved the fallacy of religion will be exposed once and for all.
Dont worry tma edirco usually comes up with some crap like that when he has no answer for what you are saying.
Take away a persons faith and they will see religion for what it really is..

a fabrication.

God and evolution can perfectly co-exist

a very weak veiw. highly problematic theologically speaking. evolution is a theory full of more holes than a swiss cheese factory. Go back in this thread, Edric, and look at some of my posts. Very very few Christian philosophers, scientists, and theologians accept the view of "theistic evolution" (which is what you believe in). In fact, I do not even know of one that is alive today. The Bible should be taken literally unless specifically stated otherwise. Days do not necessarily mean 24 hours, of course. But when God made Adam from the dirt (i.e. not from a sea slug), and had Adam name all the animals (Adam was involved in the creation process), there is nothing allegoric about it. And finally, there is much science in the Bible. Jesus said "Heaven and earth will pass away but the word of God remains forever" This is the second law of thermodynamics.

"It is God who sits above the circle of the earth" - Is 40:22

Here we have the Bible saying the earth was round 1000 years before copernicus.

The stars are too great in number to count Genesis 15:5

Jeremiah 33:22 Hebrews 11:12 1450-1410 BC

627-585 BC

64-68 AD 19th Century AD with the advent of powerful telescopes. Prior to this, most thought there were no more than 6,000 stars (what could be seen with the naked eye from all points on the earth).

Yet the Bible predicts science thousands of years before its time.

The sun is is moving

through space in a huge orbit in Psalm 19:4 "His (the sun) going forth [is] from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof"

Psalms 19:4-6 About 1000 BC It was only recently discovered that the Sun is moving through space at about 600,000 miles per hour, in an orbit that would take an estimated 230,000,000 years to complete.

Earth floats freely in space Job 26:7

Here is one of my favorites:

Life is in our blood Leviticus 17:11. This was written in 1400 BC

During George Washington's day thousands of years later, the practice of blood-letting to treat various kinds of illnesses was common. In fact, George Washington died from this very treatment. In 1830 AD, Dr. Marshall Hall came out in strong opposition to this practice. However, had any of the doctors who practiced this treatment read these Bible verses, they would have known that it could have fatal consequences. Look up the practice of "blood letting" on google and learn about how wrong medical science was, and how correct the Bible was.

The Bible is not a book of science as Edric says, yet when it speaks on scientific issues, it is correct.

Empr, you are really stretching it.

Jesus said "Heaven and earth will pass away but the word of God remains forever" This is the second law of thermodynamics.

How is that? The 2nd law states that energy spontaneously flows only from being concentrated in one area to becoming spread out. How in the world does this sound like what Jesus said?

"It is God who sits above the circle of the earth" - Is 40:22

Assuming it was translated correctly and not from an ambiguous word, God told them this no? That's the only way they could have known, so if God told them that, did he also tell them :

Leviticus 20:9 "For every one that curseth his father or his mother shall be surely put to death: he hath cursed his father or his mother; his blood shall be upon him."?

The stars are too great in number to count Genesis 15:5

Maybe they didn't want to count 6,000 (or couldn't) stars that they did see? This says nothing about astronomy only to how incompetent they were.

Earth floats freely in space Job 26:7

Oh wait, I thought the Earth didn't float freely? Something about spinning on axis with the Sun's gravity...

Life is in our blood Leviticus 17:11

And you take "blood" literally? They could have meant blood as in family. Or they could have seen somebody die with blood draining out, so they deducted that life is in the blood. Come on man there are so many interpretations, and yours is stretching it.

a very weak veiw. highly problematic theologically speaking. evolution is a theory full of more holes than a swiss cheese factory. Go back in this thread, Edric, and look at some of my posts. Very very few Christian philosophers, scientists, and theologians accept the view of "theistic evolution" (which is what you believe in). In fact, I do not even know of one that is alive today.

I personally know a number of christian scientists who believe in evolution (after all, there are many scientists in the world).

But that is not the point. The point is that I accept the theory of evolution, and so do the vast majority of scientists. The fact that most of them are atheists is meaningless to me.

The Bible should be taken literally unless specifically stated otherwise.

That is your personal opinion, not fact.

I just believe that it couldn't have all just 'started' without something or someone starting it. Not that I think God is anything like us humans, I think God is more like a 'being' and well, who really knows but I just find it hard to believe that all of the planets and galaxies and all of everything could just start from nothing.

The theory of the big bang is oretty much that all the universes substance was compressed into an object smaller then a grapefruit. So given the choice between a supreme being and a grapefruit universe, I'm inclined to choose the one that doesn't exercise total control over me. Unless grapefruits have developed superiority complexes.

I just believe that it couldn't have all just 'started' without something or someone starting it. Not that I think God is anything like us humans, I think God is more like a 'being' and well, who really knows but I just find it hard to believe that all of the planets and galaxies and all of everything could just start from nothing.

That's only because you can't comprehend something coming from nothing. Neither can I, but soon in college I will learn about quantum fluctuations, which are a part of something coming from nothing.