Emperors legions?

Anathema

I wonder how large the army of Sardaukar was during Shadam IVs rule. The movie mentioned 50 legions...that's only 500,000 men, wich is ridiculously low to be able to match the combined forces of the Landsraad (Napoleon had 400,000 men when he went to Russia).

So how many did he have?

it never says in the books that the legions of sardaukar are limited to 50. If you read in the books you will find that sardaukar are placed on hundreds of worlds in large quantities. Even if there were only a few million. Look what they could do in their prime.

Page... 375 or thereabouts of Dune states how many men the Emperor lost in his pogram agains't the fremen, which to him and his forces isn't that many at all out of what was left on dune. I think it was 200,000 the fremen illed, but I'm not sure. It's in thufirs talk with the baron.

That's not what he meant. Thufir mentioned the Sardaukar killed 200,000 fremen (I may not recall correctly), but that the Sardaukar lost 5 men per fremen- so that's a million Sardaukar.

Edric, the fremen mainly won because of their religious inner fire- the Sardaukars were over confident. The fremen wiped the floor with most of the Sardaukar stationed in Arakeen.

However, if Paul did not blackmail the guild, the Landsraad houses would have landed their legions on Dune and probably defeated the fremen.

After losing their secret religion and becoming to soft the sardaukar did lose a lot of their greatness. The rank of Duncan Idaho was a level 13 swordmaster I do believe. Not sure though you guys can correct me.

The fremen were good fighters but the reason why they were so good was a: They knew their environment, You can see when they went to other worlds that it was hard for fremen to fight but they were so frenzied by their religion. b: Their religious convicitions make them almost suicidle to their enemy. Their fierce loyalty can make them do things not normally seen. c: They use ambush and surprise in their warfare. Attacking unknowing enemies.

Without these things they would be just as good as these tepid sardaukar troops.