worms

lost_child

Lots of em but I wouldnt say billions.  Worms crave for more and more territory. Little makers wouldnt count from what I think lost child means. I think he means fully matured worms.

Arrakis used to be a lush planet full of plant-life. Eventually for some mysterious reason it turned barron (Most likely the onset of sandtrout which were somehow deposited on Arrakis. These creatures would leech all fluid from a planet). The outcome was horrific. Most, if not all of the native animal life besides these sand trout survived. These worm-like creatures changed and grew to larger more structured worms. With little food which is needed for a fully mature sandworm they grew in large size and would then spend their time eating sand plankton. They are simaler to whales of earth in their eating habits, Taking in massive amounts of debris for the precious food sparsed around. They must depend on something other than water to cause the many chemical reactions and cleansing of cells.(because of their horrible reactions to it) This is evidant in the fact that they are silicon based creatures. Not needing the other stable cornerstone atom of carbon. This means they use a completely different system of living and evolving.

In the current time, just before Paul's Jihad. There were thousands upon thousands of fully grown "worms" which the natives called Shui-hulud.

Sandtrout to Worm:

Sandtrout need water. They spend their time under the desert sucking up all water from the planet. When they succeed in taking in as much water as tehy can they will form with other sandtrout that have the full amount of fluid in their systems. They will then form into a sort of ball. producing chemical reactions with eachother to form what humans call spice essense. Then when they have over produced a critical mass occures. Bursting all the sandtrout from their collective ball. They have matured into more wormlike creatures by this time. now able to eat food they sustain themselves on plankton till they grow older. the essence that I talked about is what eventually turns into spice. Many worms die in the explosion but some will be able to survive. growing and growing till they die.

A harvester will stay on schedule until wormspotters detect wormsign. Then any nearby carryall will grab it. And the duration varies, but they don't go too deep to where sandworms are absolutely everywhere, to get as much spice as possible.

if they are picked up while harvesting harvesters explone dont they?so when they see the wormsign they try to get as much spice as they can but they are pressed for time.Those worms make people pretty unconfertable.Damn them!!

Usually harvesters try take as much spice as they can and sometimes they are eaten by worm. Only Atreides as I remember see human worth and ordered run in place harvesting.

And harvester explode one, in beginning of House Atreides but only becouse they were on unusual place, where harvester stood on some gas.

Yes lost_child, while the worm came up and closed down on the harvester it blew up. Maybe it was just for effects, or maybe there is actually a reason. Possibly it blew up because it was being eaten and was so compressed it gave and blew.

Leto conected with two other sandrouts. (He was between them when they made the fluid) And so he became Karalizec ( Sorry for repeating but I'm relly impressed with COD ) Somehow when the matured worm contacts with water he dies, that explains the fact they evade sandrouts. AND harvesters explode in E: BFD for a better effect. From the books, the process of worm swallowing a harvester is created familiar to the Titanic disaster. ( At least sounds I think :- )

It isn't atomics if that's what you are thinking, it's just an effect that Lynch used. And if it did happen in the book, then it was probably because it was pushed in on all directions. Have you ever held an apple and pushed in from all directions? You will be having apple juice and apple sauce in a few seconds.

that's just the point alexander. It implodes. Implosion will cause things like you saw on the movie. that could be an example. squish an orange and you will have juice and pulpe everywhere as long as there is a tragectory, the part which the moutn temporarily doesnt cover.