[Release] New Dune 2 tileset (for Dune 2000)

Cm_blast

Here I am with a new tileset for dune 2000, picked from the Dune 2 game and applied into Dune 2000.

Here, an image of the tileset:
1010972232_tilesetretro.thumb.png.1a5a8dea695cf0bf7c16d9e6d9452590.png

And here an screen of an imagen with a map created with the Tileset (click to see the original size); map from my Dune 2 based campaign (editor's image, spice will look less blocky in game).

816389222_dune2map.thumb.png.44672f9418f62d4f107f688e63097abd.png

Tileset Here: BLOXRETR.R16 (16 bits only available).

How to install: Move the file into your "data" folder, then you can play any mission that use this specific tileset, as my "Dune 2 based campaign - retro addition".

Modders only: Modders only.zip  This file includes the .ini file so the editor will chose the correct attributes, presets groups with assignes keys and the png file with the tileset, in case somebody want it.

Note: On the game will appear the original dune 2000 crates (when you shoot the floor). To have the ones from Dune 2 instead download this other file too: DATA.R16 WARNING: Doing this will altered your game forever, do a back up of this file before overwritting!

Small update: I added a concrete tile that it's actually buildable. will behave as any other rock, you can place your own concretes on top of it, will create crates when shooted, etc... (but it's not an actual concrete).

FINAL UPDATE: Now you can build on top of the corners and edges, so there is only a few rock tiles which you can't build concretes. Will look a bit blocky, but that's how dune 2 used to look and honestly, it doesn't look too bad here on Dune 2000 either.

NEW VERSION + UPDATE:
This is both an new version and an update. The other still will work fine, and even this one will work with the current vanilla "TILEATR1" (except for the concrete per side) and maps that have been already done are not affected at all; this version it's mean to overwritte the last one.

Dune retro 2 new version.rar

Here, Klofkack update:
BLOXRETR.ini
Here the post that contains what it was done in the update.
https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/28333-release-new-dune-2-tileset-for-dune-2000/?do=findComment&comment=399294
The main difference, visually, it's this.
image.png.113dc446eb4d14d3b2f8be9615453689.png 

You can place on the map different concretes per side; this means that as the player, you can have a CY in one side of the map, then these concretes on the opposite side of the map the player can deploy buildings there.

The concrete at the very top it's behaves the same: only a cosmetic concrete; you can build buildings on top of it but will have only 50% health. This will happen in both versions.

As part as behaviour on the map.
image.png.bf066ecfdd55b0c3e882dbee745861c8.png
These old retro buildings will change the pointer of the mouse as if you could select a building, but besides that, no other differences and has no impact.

It use a new ".bin" file, and a new ".ini" file to be used with the lastest version of the editor, although the colors were reverted back into the vanilla values.
On the editor painting with the concretes (click + drag or double click) will be the cosmetics ones, to use the others you have to do it manually; for the AI even the cosmetics works because it will build their own concretes on top of it.

Edited by Cm_blast

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, skuallx said:

Thanks! Ill give it a try! Look good...

Don't make too much of the tileset for now. Like Klofkack said to me (on a single map I did using this tileset) he point that it's a bit weird that you cannot build on the edges, just like the original dune 2 game; after I tried an old campaign of mine using this tileset, I agreed; I did a conversion of the tileset, which means that by tomorrow the position of the edges and corners will change after I update the file, but also making those tiles buildable.

So what I am trying to say, wait a couple of days more before creating any map with this tileset; I am planning to update this post later in the night with the new layout/position/behaviour, only then you can create your own maps if you want.

Still, thank you for liking.

7 hours ago, skuallx said:

Thanks! Ill give it a try! Look good...

Updates done.

Edges, corners and the concretes (but only the one on the top area) are buildable. All the files has been updated, included the .png on this post and on the zip itself.

So now all of you can use the tileset correctly.
Report any mistakes I may have done.

Edited by Cm_blast

Update:
New concretes per side added, and new rules on the .ini to work with the new mision editor, although the colors on the minimap are reverted to default values again.

The new attribute allow a few changes, but any map done in the past (or future) done with the default vanilla attributes still will work fine (if you don't use those tiles, which on the previous version it had empty-black-tiles.

So, the new version it's mean to overwritte the old, but again, using the default attributes it's possible with the new version, besides the structures thing and the concretes there aren't other changes.

On 6/2/2020 at 1:11 AM, Cm_blast said:

Update:
New concretes per side added, and new rules on the .ini to work with the new mision editor, although the colors on the minimap are reverted to default values again.

So I took a look into this, and ended up improving and fine-tuning the tileset .ini file in similar way I did for Heighliner and Warcraft 2 tilesets, in order to make the best experience mapping with this tileset!

Here it is: BLOXRETR.ini (EDIT: Reuploaded because I fixed one oversight in the configuration)

Here's list of changes and improvements I did:

1) Updated minimap color rules to almost match real colors used in Dune 2. Here is the result:

0DsoURF.png

2) Rearranged block presets + making auto-smooth edges feature work

9xiGu3r.png

quXxvVK.png

Presets 3, A, F, C are not used by auto-smooth, you will still need to place them manually to fine-tune the area. You will need to place E, D, S manually too.

3) Added side-owned concretes into Buildings preset group under Z,X,C,V,B,N,M,< presets:

hYRAtb6.png

4) Configured editor attributes, fill area rules and some other stuff.

Enjoy!

Edited by Klofkac

1 hour ago, Klofkac said:

So I took a look into this, and ended up improving and fine-tuning the tileset .ini file in similar way I did for Heighliner and Warcraft 2 tilesets, in order to make the best experience mapping with this tileset!

That's nice. Thank you, really.

So you can even add markers directly on the presets too? well, I guess the letters I add have no purpose now :P.

The autosmooth works really good, and only the few tiles you pointed need to be placed manually.

It is good that you even fixed the spice-painting problem, at least for this tileset. What it's the line to control that? so I can change it into the warcraft one withouth too much efford (I hope).

One question, I guess the initial concrete tile that it is used for painting it's not "used", on the preset, right? but still used on the normal-painting tool.

Edited by Cm_blast

8 hours ago, Cm_blast said:

So you can even add markers directly on the presets too? well, I guess the letters I add have no purpose now :P.

Yeah. That's kind of teaser for new D2kEditor features I implemented since the last release. In short, the "Mark wall owner side" feature was extended to "Mark wall and concrete owner side".

It is good that you even fixed the spice-painting problem, at least for this tileset. What it's the line to control that? so I can change it into the warcraft one withouth too much efford (I hope).

Eh, you bit of surprised me, I don't even realize I fixed that. What was the actual problem? Regarding the problem with spice spreading outside the area enclosed by spice when filling area, which you reported in other thread, I needed to fix this in the editor itself.

One question, I guess the initial concrete tile that it is used for painting it's not "used", on the preset, right? but still used on the normal-painting tool.

Yes.

And please note that shortly after I made my post, I reuploaded the ini file, I needed to fix one thing. Please get the latest ini file if you, by chance, took the previous version.

Edited by Klofkac

8 hours ago, Klofkac said:

Yeah. That's kind of teaser for new D2kEditor features I implemented since the last release. In short, the "Mark wall owner side" feature was extended to "Mark wall and concrete owner side".

That helps in this case or future tileset that uses different concrete per side.

8 hours ago, Klofkac said:

Eh, you bit of surprised me, I don't even realize I fixed that. What was the actual problem? Regarding the problem with spice spreading outside the area enclosed by spice when filling area, which you reported in other thread, I needed to fix this in the editor itself.

Just the spice painting. Just asking what it is the line on the .ini on the tileset that you added or rewrite to fix that; on vanilla tilesets it's on your part to fix and release it with the editor, but for the warcraft tileset I was wondering what line you exactly added or rewrite to be able to contain the spice filling so I can do it myself.

9 hours ago, Klofkac said:

Yes.

And please note that shortly after I made my post, I reuploaded the ini file, I needed to fix one thing. Please get the latest ini file if you, by chance, took the previous version.

Alright, just making sure so the "jorney to the past" and that other author that made a couple of missions using that don't getting affected by the changes.

Oooh, alright, downloading again.

• 2 weeks later...