Is it ok to redistribute the game?

bero

Hi,

we'd like to make installation of the game easier for Linux users -- by providing an rpm package for OpenMandriva Lx that contains both the game and the emulation configs.

However, the license is not very clear about whether or not it is ok for us to redistribute the game files (for free of course), and to change the installation process (essentially replacing the current installer with the packaging Linux users are used to).

Is this ok, or would this violate someone's license?

• Upvote 1

Dune 2000 is on this website freely available: link snipped ~MrFlibble

If I'm correct, they have a download policy that after a certain amount of years a game will become sort of 'free' if it's not active being sold any more by the producer.

Hmm, looks not to be legal, more info here: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2009/01/24/abandonware-the-ethics-and-essentials/1

Edited by MrFlibble

It seems to be freely available here: http://gruntmods.com/?page_id=19-- but I'm not sure about the legality. Their site doesn't say much about licensing either.

No, it is not legal. Dune2000 is not a freeware game, not a GPL game, and it is unlikely to become one.

If you can create an installer that does not include any of the proprietary files, you are probably free to do that. But the whole game cannot be included in a Linux distro.

Dune 2000 is on this website freely available: link snipped ~MrFlibble

If I'm correct, they have a download policy that after a certain amount of years a game will become sort of 'free' if it's not active being sold any more by the producer.

Please do not link to that site. The "download policy" is just a decision by that site's administration, and it has no legal implications whatsoever.

It seems to be freely available here: http://gruntmods.com/?page_id=19-- but I'm not sure about the legality. Their site doesn't say much about licensing either.

The game is considered abandonware. No one is allowed to distribute the game at this point. Any site that chooses to host it (including gruntmods.com) runs the risk of a future rights holder pursuing legal action against them. Currently it is very unclear who actually owns the rights to the game as EA did not renew their licence to continue publishing it.

Abandonware is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available. Although such software is usually still under copyright, the owner may not be tracking or enforcing copyright violations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

It is not wise to continue this discussion. The more we talk about such issues the more the appetite of some money hungry lawyer will grow.

For our benefit, I request a MOD to lock this thread-or even remove any trace of it.

Not going to happen, at least not easily or soon. EA hasn't gone after the numerous other sites distributing the game, which have a much higher pagerank on google. 

someone just get mail  EA about the  dune2k matters maybe they will give eventual answers , solutions.  maybe they would be interessing to sell the license  so game could have eventually new life

They can't sell licences or authorize redistribution until they renew their own agreements. I'm sure they would take the same route they took with the old C&C games if they could.

Keep in mind, they don't even have the source code for the game anymore, the chances of them doing anything with Dune 2000 is extremely slim.

well EA  might have   source code of dune2k but deep in their archives.  we dont know even who  holds them anyway  so most likely duneeven  after another 20years wont be abandonware  althrought current situation  should consider as it but   EA wont  let it go  but hey  you still can buy orginal dune2k  on amazon or ebay  so  there is still chance to get the game.

well EA  might have   source code of dune2k but deep in their archives.  we dont know even who  holds them anyway  so most likely duneeven  after another 20years wont be abandonware  althrought current situation  should consider as it but   EA wont  let it go  but hey  you still can buy orginal dune2k  on amazon or ebay  so  there is still chance to get the game.

You can't buy it new from standard retail channels, only third party. Several of the devs have stated that EA lost the source code, I won't pretend to know EA's internal affairs but I'm inclined to believe the devs on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

also red alert 1 from 1995   is freeware   .  but dune isnt ast here is   big license mess  so   probably dune will never be freeware even  if  50years pass.    as  devs lost the dune source code remaking/reselling game wouldnt be that easy  they can reverse engineer current and get the source code back  but too much time and effort for  reactivating mostly worthless old game ..

also red alert 1 from 1995   is freeware   .  but dune isnt ast here is   big license mess  so   probably dune will never be freeware even  if  50years pass.    as  devs lost the dune source code remaking/reselling game wouldnt be that easy  they can reverse engineer current and get the source code back  but too much time and effort for  reactivating mostly worthless old game ..

They would more then likely reboot the series then remake this one game. Would be worth the time to secure licencing if it actually would earn them income.