Leto. Your associations?

Adriano

Leto. Your associations?

Duke Leto Atreides was in "Dune" story. [lito] as they say in the movie.
The word "leto" means "summer" in Slavic languages. [leto] or [lito] in different regions/languages/dialects.

There are people from different countries on this forum.
It is interesting: what do you imaging, when your hear the word "leto"?

Prochnowasleto.jpg

• Upvote 1

Actually in my imagine, leto character exacly match with david lycs leto in dune film. Person honourable, its why hes skinny, because eating too much means of dishonor in evry culture, its why bad side, vladimir harkonnen fat, because his guilty. Atreides logo is hawk, duke leto in film really match with it, but not poul atreides, I think poul a bit soft and olive shaped for atreides.

Atreides logo is hawk, duke leto in film really match with it

Yes. I am agree.

I think poul a bit soft and olive shaped for atreides.

What do you mean "olive shaped"? I can not understand.

And what about WORD "leto" (not PERSON of duke)? Is there any association with this word in your native language?

What does "leto" mean in movie/book? Or nothing?

I think he means a healthy body, not skinny.

The bones are less visible. But he ain't fat either.

Being fat often means no sharing with others.

Although, where would you place the Baron's second son? I know that the older son is also a fatty. But the second is often displayed the same size as Paul.

• Upvote 1

Yes. I am agree.

What do you mean "olive shaped"? I can not understand.

And what about WORD "leto" (not PERSON of duke)? Is there any association with this word in your native language?

What does "leto" mean in movie/book? Or nothing?

Leto, there is no equal word in my language. Leto means, duke leto atreides. But sounds a bit italian leto.

I did mean with olive shape, poul atreides in movie a bit soft then his father. They hawe signatture as hawk because of their steriotype, but poul in movie dont match with it. Real poul must be much musclar, must hawe much serious face as his father.

I think he means a healthy body, not skinny.

The bones are less visible. But he ain't fat either.

Being fat often means no sharing with others.

Although, where would you place the Baron's second son? I know that the older son is also a fatty. But the second is often displayed the same size as Paul.

feyd rautha, as you know, created by bene gesserit for special project. Hes harkonnen but dont hawe harkonnen sterotype at all. Hes speciallyengineerd person.

Leto has much more unknown and in universe traditional name as atreides i think. But poul and jessica is not. Even in harkonnen side, vladimir is known name but feyd rautha and rabban unknown and traditional to harkonnen.

dont know if there is a meaning or tric of frank herberts, because its art.

But hawe idea like that.

leto, is unknown and tredational to atreides steirotype, but frank herberts create new hero who is poul, hes name and acts mach with our standart hero sense. And here a bit pass to western people, western named hero, become universal.

and vladimir harkonnen, its known slavic name, given to bad side by frank herbert, not mach with russian steoritype actually but frank herbert pass a bit to soviet union here. We cant blame frank for this because in his time, soviets were their enemies and %99 of western people even doesnt know what is soviet and what russians look like.

Than feyd rautha, different from standart enemy profile of frank herbert, actually not much evil like baron. But has anger, its only difference from poul. Feyd are genious or fair as poul. Because hes another bene gezserit project. But he has even anger. Much more aggrassive than poul. Not really bad person but type of act much more different.

• 2 weeks later...

It is interesting: what do you imaging, when your hear the word "leto"?

Of all the Dune Media out there, the first PC game Leto is the one I usually see in my mind.

726952-941709447_00.gif But honestly it can shift from one to another, both the movie and TV show brought great things to the character.

Leto is an italian name, but is very rare, it is used the female version that is Letizia. Means glad/happy (the italian word is nearly the same, it is lieto), the female versione means more happyness than just happy.

Leto also means also kill in latin.

As a name Leto is similar to letto, that is bed lol.

About FH maybe he was inspired by the greek goddess?

Actually in my imagine, leto character exacly match with david lycs leto in dune film. Person honourable, its why hes skinny, because eating too much means of dishonor in evry culture, its why bad side, vladimir harkonnen fat, because his guilty. Atreides logo is hawk, duke leto in film really match with it, but not poul atreides, I think poul a bit soft and olive shaped for atreides.

I think Leto's face is better in the movie than in the book. In the book he has a witch nose.

• Upvote 1

As a name Leto is similar to letto, that is bed lol.

It's interesting. The word "letto" is similar to Russian "lech" or "leghat" -- to lie (to be in resting position). I look at Wiktionary and really, these words have the same ancient radix.  ("gh" there like French "j" -- bonjour)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Proto-Indo-European/legʰ-

I understand some bad Latin. When I learned Latin, then I noticed, that some Latin and Old Slavic words are similar. For example "oko" and "oculus" -- eye.

It's interesting. The word "letto" is similar to Russian "lech" or "leghat" -- to lie (to be in resting position). I look at Wiktionary and really, these words have the same ancient radix.  ("gh" there like French "j" -- bonjour)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Proto-Indo-European/legʰ-

I understand some bad Latin. When I learned Latin, then I noticed, that some Latin and Old Slavic words are similar. For example "oko" and "oculus" -- eye.

A lot of English words have Latin origins too :)

Actually, I do not mean here that word "oko" has Latin origin. I mean that SOME Slavic (and therefore modern Russian) words have very old Proto-Indo-European origin. Like in Latin or Sanskrit. If to learn another languages then we can see some words in different pronunciation with close meaning.

Of course, Russian language has Latin borrowing too. For example, "globus" -- map of the Earth on the ball.

P.S. Luminar, it is like Hungarian language has some similar words with Finno-Ugric languages, I suppose.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I do not mean here that word "oko" has Latin origin. I mean that SOME Slavic (and therefore modern Russian) words have very old Pre-Indo-European origin. Like in Latin or Sanskrit. If to learn another languages then we can see some words in different pronunciation with close meaning.

Of course, Russian language has Latin borrowing too. For example, "globus" -- map of the Earth on the ball.

P.S. Luminar, it is like Hungarian language has some similar words with Finno-Ugric languages, I suppose.

Hungary is from Asia, but yes, we have Finno-Ugric origins too :)

• Upvote 1

I am starting to get the feeling that he borrowed a lot of words from other cultures.

For example, Landsraad.

This is a very typical word from the Netherlands.

Meaning it is a group of people coming from very important political homes (houses). Just to work together to form a force that can work against the highest ruler.

Q: In the novel Dune, what is the Landsraad?
Herbert: Well, Landsraad is an old Scandinavian word for an assembly of landowners. It's historically accurate in that it was an assembly and the first meetings of the legislative body — an early one, yes. The Landsraad — it's the landed gentry.[20]

No doubt it is old for Scandinavian too. But we use the dutch word "land" for country. And "raad" for a gathering of people that give advice. So than we could say landsraad means a gathering of people of the country. Correct spelling is landraad these days.

I personally think Scandinavia and The Netherlands both got it from Germany. But through time languages change. And the Dutch word resembles the Dune word the most.

• Upvote 1

And "raad" for a gathering of people that give advice. So than we could say landsraad means a gathering of people of the country. 

"Rada" is gathering of people that give advice. :-) Modern Ukrainian parliament and council near Russian tsar Ivan the Terrible.  Maybe old German borrowing, maybe not, because word "porada" (advice) exists in Ukraine.

Sietch looks like place where was FREE men (cossacks) on River Dnieper. "Siech" (or sech) in Russian pronunciation and "sich" in Ukrainian. Words "free men" there mean people who independent from lands lords. 

Sech from sekti (to cut, to cut off) where radix is sek- like in Latin word "sector". And THIS is not borrowing from Latin.

Sek- is Proto-Indo-European radix too.

Compare "I cut"

seco [ˈse.koː] -- in Latin

sekoo [seˈku] -- in Russian 

:D I like linguistics!

P.S. Oh! I forget to add. To cut what? Free men cut wood, trees. And they made fortress from wood. Wall from cuted trees.

260px-%D0%9A%D0%BE%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%8F_P10

• Upvote 2

O wow. Then it is obvious german. A lot of words that the netherlands and other german neighbors share are from Germaniam this includes secondary neighbors. Like the scandanavian countries and other countries like ukraine.

English borrowed heavily from Latin, it having been the language of religion, science and education, as well as international communication, for quite a considerable period of time.

Russian has a lot less Latin loanwords because Church Slavonic was the language of religion and culture in the Eastern Orthodox world.

O wow. Then it is obvious german. A lot of words that the netherlands and other german neighbors share are from Germaniam this includes secondary neighbors. Like the scandanavian countries and other countries like ukraine.

Scandinavian languages belong to the same language family as German and Dutch - the Germanic languages. German Rat, Dutch raad and English read, as well as Scandinavian råda/råde are apparently cognates, not borrowings, with the Proto-Germanic form (of the respective verb) being rēdaną. In Slavic languages rada is likely a loanword, even though there is a cognate raditi 'to take care of' (OCS) or roditi 'same' (not related to roditi 'to give birth'), according to Vasmer.

Sietch looks like place where was FREE men (cossacks) on River Dnieper. "Siech" (or sech) in Russian pronunciation and "sich" in Ukrainian. Words "free men" there mean people who independent from lands lords. 

Sech from sekti (to cut, to cut off) where radix is sek- like in Latin word "sector". And THIS is not borrowing from Latin.

Sek- is Proto-Indo-European radix too.

Compare "I cut"

seco [ˈse.koː] -- in Latin

sekoo [seˈku] -- in Russian

Pavel Vyaznikov mentions this etymology in his extended Dune glossary. I have never thought about this before but it could make sense as the Fremen cut through the rock to create passages and windtraps.

However, Khalid Baheleydin provides an alternate explanation:

SIETCH سيق Fremen:'Place of assembly in time of danger.' Because the Fremen lived so long in peril, the term came by general usage to designate any cave warreninhabited by one of their tribal communities. It is worth noting the similarity between Sietch and "Seeq", which is one of the Arabic names of the ancient desert town of Petra, accessible only via a narrow passage. Notice the similarities in the structure, and the name.

Some time ago SandChigger and others at Jacurutu.com found out that certain Arabic terms FH used were taken from a late 19th century travelogue. IIRC the name Feyd-Rautha and something else (maybe Mudir Nahya, the name Rabban was given by the Fremen, but not sure) were taken from that book. It is established with certainty because the book can be found in FH's personal library (yeah, some people have access to this kind of sources; cool huh?).
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I think the connection between Dune's Fremen and the Cossaks is pretty strong, not only the name of the settlement: Sietch - Sich but also how they functioned as societies, heavily militarized, somewhat mobile...

I have always been amused by FH's use of the word Wallach for the Bene Gesserit's planet, as it is related to Wallachia (southern Romania) and the overall foreign denomination of romanians: wallachs / vlach.

Bene Gesserit as a name sounds like it could be a jewish congregation, though in the later books, FH reveals jews to still exist as ethnicity, but unconnected with the Bene Gesserit.

As for the name Leto it might have gotten picked up straight from greek mythology as the house Atreides is said to have had direct lineage to ancient kind Atreus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leto