Disappearing Resource

Hi all,

I recently started playing RRT2 (honest).  I have the platinum v 1.56.  In playing the Britain scenario with one computer opponent I discovered that some iron mines disappeared.  Does anyone know how this could happen?  Or how to prevent it?

Items not used or connected do tend to disappear; it's part of the set-up.  And it's not just industries,

towns without a station gradually lose houses and shrink.  Best advice is to get to resources you wish to use sooner rather than later.  Buying them will secure them, but it costs of course, and they will lose you money until you start tapping them.  ;)

Items not used or connected do tend to disappear; it's part of the set-up.  And it's not just industries,

towns without a station gradually lose houses and shrink.  Best advice is to get to resources you wish to use sooner rather than later.  Buying them will secure them, but it costs of course, and they will lose you money until you start tapping them.  ;)

Thanks for your reply and info.

However ...

These were connected and being serviced.  I  tried several tiimes from a saved  game.  I even purchased one of them.  But  in all cases either one or both eventually disappeard from the map, and the station associated no longer supplied iron.  In one case, a  train had  just gotten a  cargo from the station associated with the mine, but before it had preceded very far, the iron mine was gone.  It was annoying.  There were other iron mines, but these two were by far the most useful.

Its very difficult for a new player to recognize BS when he sees it.

Its well known by long-time players that an industry or resource can disappear (or reappear), regardless of the degree of its usage, unless it is owned by your or an AI's company. Its a random thing based on parameters set in the editor.

Equally well known is that towns gain and lose houses randomly regardless of the placement of stations or the efficiency of hauling. There is generally an overall gain of houses, industry and resources depending on the growth factor specified in the editor, regardless of what you do in your play.

Common knowledge can be suspect and I'd be interested to know exactly what the set-up is, if known, because in many years play I have:

(a) never observed a serviced town decline, only unserviced ones, and

(b) have observed many serviced towns prosper.   

Were my eyes deceiving me?

• 3 weeks later...

I just hate it when the lumber camp I am depending on or something disappears even though I'm depending on and it disappears.  This is one of the reasons I try to buy as many of the industries as possible, but in some scenarios you can't buy the industry, then good luck, because it doesn't matter if you're servicing them or not.

Quote:

(a) never observed a serviced town decline, only unserviced ones,

Yes they are deceiving you.

Quote:

(b) have observed many serviced towns prosper.

Usually but not all the time.

• 4 years later...

To make sure I'm clear on this, does buying the industry guarantee that it stays put, even if it temporarily isn't serviced or loses money?

Pretty sure that it does. I've bought e.g. a Distillery when it was the only sensibly placed one on the map, then changed my priorities, and not serviced it until decades later (forgot to sell it :wacko: ), but it never disappeared. This was because one had popped up before, but with an intermittent service, it annoyingly disappeared, just as I had the chance to make it lucrative and buy it :blink:

So I'd have to say, once bought by anyone, an industry stays for good.

I've never saw a bought industry disappear.

What if an industry is profitable (because I work on it), AI buys it, does the AI sell it if I decide to stop helping the industry and it becomes unprofitable (milk for instance, there are some industries that just go to $0 such as bakery)?

I've never saw a bought industry disappear.

What if an industry is profitable (because I work on it), AI buys it, does the AI sell it if I decide to stop helping the industry and it becomes unprofitable (milk for instance, there are some industries that just go to $0 such as bakery)?

I've never seen an ai sell anything that they've bought. For instance, on one of the Japan maps, there was an area with 4 granaries close together, one of which I was servicing very well early on. The ai beat me to buying it, so I shut down services completely, and moved on to the next granary which I bought. 50 yrs later, the ai still owned it, even though it hadn't had a service for 50 yrs...

The AIs get a liberal amount of profit, of cargo etc. out of thin air.

If I'm remembering correctly, I noticed a cargo in one AI station that was ahead of it time to even be in the game.

I placed a loco in that AI station waiting for that cargo, the AI supply it every time the loco returned for more of that cargo.

Now that extra profit etc., makes the AIs very liberal. I wonder if the AI was made smarter, would that make the game more difficult to play?

The AIs get a liberal amount of profit, of cargo etc. out of thin air.

Do you think the AI companies might play a basic econ model even if the game is set to advanced? At high difficulty levels, the AI companies get +25% revenue.

Now that extra profit etc., makes the AIs very liberal. I wonder if the AI was made smarter, would that make the game more difficult to play?

If the game were true to life, then wouldn't profit turn an AI player into a conservative? :dry:

And, if the AI were smarter, then it wouldn't be liberal in the first place! :laugh: