Ubuntu 10.04

Andrew

Previous thread: Ubuntu 9.04

Mailing list release info

Release statement

Release Notes - known issues

EDIT: All versions released

Download torrents as they will be faster.

Updated drivers/apps. New theme.

If you don't like the min/max/close buttons on left side that can be easily changed by following this tutorial. There are several themes included by default in case you really dislike default one.

I think I'm more excited about upcoming 10.10, but glad a LTS version (3 year support) was released.

If you want more stable/production version of 10.04 you'll have to wait for 10.04.1 that should be released mid summer.

Will be installing within a couple days after I backup all my stuff.

EDIT:

Formatted and installed on my eeebox b202.

The liveusb worked great. But once installed plymouth (graphical loading screen when booting) does not work at all. I just get a black screen with some text, then desktop. That's not good, as it has same basic hardware all netbooks from 2009 use.

EDIT:

Simple solution

• Upvote 1

Possible the servers are dead.

Maybe change mirrors. system->admin->software sources->

Make sure to backup important data before upgrading. Might also be worth it to have already downloaded and burned 10.04 .iso or liveusb in case upgrade explodes. If it does explode then you can format/install fresh. :D

I've downloaded all the different versions and burned to cd-rw. 32bit:xubuntu,kubuntu,ubuntu,alternate 64bit:ubuntu

That way if I ever want to use or try one I don't have to wait for download/cdburn to finish.

Downloaded ubuntu 10.04 without any problems.  I disliked earlier version of ubuntu because it was rather complicated to get the wireless to work.  This version automatically connects to wireless networks rather easily.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have slower computer or just want fast simple ubuntu OS try lubuntu. I had it running in virtual machine and it seemed to run fast. Uses Chromium as default web browser. Much faster than say xubuntu.

Linux Mint 9 was just released. Supposed to be an ubuntu for dummies version. Havn't tried this specific release, but have tried previous versions and they are great like regular ubuntu.

Arch Linux a rolling release distro had a newer packaged .iso released. Installing in Virtual machine now, takes longer to install and setup. A bit more complicated to install. And it seemed to fail at installing, so I'm going to ignore archlinux for now.

Hopefully XBMC come out with a newer version soon.

EDIT:

heh, character Sheldon on The Big Bang Theory television show mentioned ubuntu as being his favourite linux OS. :P

EDIT2:

So I'm still using ubuntu 9.10 on main computer.

Today I decided to upgrade from firefox 3.5.9 to 3.6.3

I used Firefox Stable PPA to upgrade. Upgrade was quick, easy, and firefox seems to run much faster now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ubuntu To Pull In New Versions Of Firefox

Next week when 3.6.4 of firefox is released it will be pushed (upgraded) to most ubuntu versions. No longer have to worry about out of date firefox on older versions.

Basically anything that was running firefox 3.0 or later will be upgraded.

Great news.

Alpha 1 of 10.10 will be released June 3. Not much interesting and may not even work great. But so far 10.10 will be a great release if they are able to get in all the new drivers/kernel.

10.04.1 will be released July 29.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule

I hope to wait until 10.04.1, or if 10.10 alphas are good enough I'll upgrade to them. Still on 9.10

Got this Lucid Lynx dual-booting with XP Pro and I love it. Seems that Ubuntu's usual breaking from nvidia drivers is smoothing over, at least it seems so (no getting out of the xserver over and over again to manually remove any nvidia remnants just to install it over again heh).

I tried out gwibber, the integrated all-in-one social site program, and it looks cool. It's definitely useful for the social geeks and whatnot.

Was this the first version of Ubuntu with Ubuntu One? Because it's damn cool and "cloud" computing is so nice for the people who frequent cafes and libraries.

I still had weirdness with the login keyring but just set it to null and let Ubuntu warn me sternly what that entails (bad user bad!).

Stopped using firefox and went to Chrome which runs smoothly on it, but good to hear they are updating the firefox version in the repo.

All in all I like it! Purple is also my favorite color so...

Was this the first version of Ubuntu with Ubuntu One? Because it's damn cool and "cloud" computing is so nice for the people who frequent cafes and libraries.

9.10 was first version to have it I think (It's on my 9.10 install).

10.10 is shaping up to be a great release (October 10 release date) with lots of new drivers/kernel (confirmed they are going with 2.6.35 kernel). They played it safe with 10.04 release which means the kernel and drivers (at least for intel) were a bit old. If 10.10 delivers what they are planning, then should be great (new kernel/drivers/xorg1.9).

2.6.35rc2 kernel had lots of improvements for anyone that uses i915 intel driver (so it covers i810, i815, i830, i845, i855, i865, i915, i945 and i965 series chips). Probably lots of changes since 10.04 kernel which will be 3 releases behind 10.10 (10.04 uses 2.6.32, so there was 2.6.33, 2.6.34 and now 2.6.35 in 10.10).

If you are using Chromium on ubuntu, you may want to try the nightly version as it supports webm (so on youtube you can enable html5 and not use flash!).

PPA for Ubuntu Chromium - Daily Builds

For more discussion on html5/chromium nightly see HTML5 thread.

• 2 weeks later...

listen to radio stations in ubuntu using RadioTray

I was browsing that website and noticed this. Very simple program to listen to internet radio stations.

I installed it on 9.10, works fine, added a bunch of Canadian College Radio Stations. Maybe I'll find something I like.

Should a thread be made for internet radio stations that people suggest?

I remember listening to my now defunct university internet radio years ago. Introduced me to lots of good musicians.

EDIT:

system monitor says it is using ~20mb ram.

I have it on my winxp partition. Never used on linux.

If you are looking for good antivirus on windows use Microsoft Security Essentials

I've used it on a couple computers and it works extremely good. Not annoying ("You're database has been updated!"), doesn't seem to infect any other software (AVG etc infecting firefox with crapware, but you do need to run WGA). MSE seems really good at finding malware/viruses as well. I've been looking for software like this for years. Malwarebytes is good for malware, but not as clean interface and easy to update(?) as MSE, since MSE updates whenever Windows update occurs.

I had one old computer that had AVG running, up to date, would do scans every night, and installed MSE and it found hundreds of infected .tmp files. That was in 30 minutes of a quick scan that would probably have taken 6 hours on full scan. I had to leave so I cancelled quick scan, had it start full scan and told the people to leave on overnight and once they got up to press 'clean computer' button in MSE.

EDIT:

Are you wanting to run scan for virus etc on windows partition without booting into windows?

There are a bunch of livecd designed to do just that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It hasn't exploded yet. . . considering reports that 10.10 continues to have the bug of a sticky left moue button my inadvertent upgrade to 11.04 seems to have been for the best. From what I can gather, to have upgraded to 10.10 I should've clicked on Long Term Support option on the Update Manger > Release Upgrade instead of Normal Release option.

*Edit*

Apparently, I did upgrade to 10.10 rather than 11.04 after all ( I think undecided.gif). System >About Ubuntu gives me the info that 11.04 is running however the terminal ~$ cat /etc/lsb-release command gives the following info.

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu

DISTRIB_RELEASE=10.10

DISTRIB_CODENAME=maverick

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 10.10"

I'm running 10.10 on my netbook now. Really loving it, though I've got to get used to the tiny keyboard again.

Edit: Does anyone know whether it's possible to access a separate partition (the windows partition) of a harddrive after installing ubuntu? I want to add it to my dead desktop but still access my old files.