(Another) Scripter of Dune

Mahdi

The Hollywood Reporter has unveiled Pierre Morel's mystery writer as (drum role please)... Chase Palmer!  Who is Chase Palmer you may ask?  Well, he's the writer behind... um, nothing really.

In other new, Morel's latest film, From Paris With Love, opened with only $8.2 million at the box office last weekend and is currently rated a disturbingly low 34% at Rotten Tomato's.

Anyone else got the feeling that this production may have went from bad to worse since Berg left?  Gotta wonder if the studio is even serious about moving forward with a hugely expensive sci-fi epic tentpole film directed by a newcomer without any big-budget experience whose last movie was a failure and written by another person with even less experience.

To be honest, there's really no way to "win." Ultimately, if any of the big names--or, hell, any of the competent names--in Hollywood decided to undertake a Dune project, they'd just sterilize it into a mindless, effects-heavy action film for the masses. Honestly, I'd almost want a failure to direct Dune, because then he'd at least have nothing to lose.

I'm certain that the fact alone that these two guys are not famous does not necessarily mean they can't create anything decent at all.

Fame isn't the issue - directors and writers in general arn't famous.  Experience is the issue.  I hope they will craft an amazing movie, but the fact that they have no experience working on a film of this type (or, in the writers case, any film at all) does not fill me with confidence. 

His last release has 8.9 on imdb. Higher than most of Lynch's movies and he made a fantastic version of Dune.

"a fantastic version of Dune"?  It has a cult following, but that's it.  Even on this forum I think you'd have a rough time finding general support for that statement. 

And as for Palmers last film having an 8.9 - did you also happen to notice it was 6 minutes long? 

Indie 6 min short film with no budget from 6 years ago = perfectly qualified to write Dune?

I don't think this movie will ever get out of pre-production.

"a fantastic version of Dune"?  It has a cult following, but that's it.  Even on this forum I think you'd have a rough time finding general support for that statement. 

Well it was supposed to be sarcasm. Although sting in those rubber pants was fantastic.

I think the chances of it being actually made will depend on the sales figure of the recent books unfortunately. It could prove to a producer that the films are financially viable as long as they are in line with the prequels. Which actually would make the Lynch movie look pretty good. ;)

Fame isn't the issue - directors and writers in general arn't famous.  Experience is the issue. 

Indie 6 min short film with no budget from 6 years ago = perfectly qualified to write Dune?

Come to think of it, I don't have even the most vague idea of what could be counted as being qualified to make a Dune screen adaptation... ???