What hardware are you going to buy in 2010?

veK

Unfortunately I had to send back my new mouse. It wasn't very bad just not as comfortable as I hoped and it looked kinda cheap with all that plastic. I tested some other devices in a local shop now and ordered a different model. Hopefully it gets here soon.

I also prordered the new XBox360 slim model today. It will be released tomorrow and I hope Amazon is as fast as usual and I get it on saturday  ;D

I got lucky and received both my new Xbox and my new mouse this morning although Amazon did send out the mouse rather late and I was expecting it for delivery on monday. Anyway, this one is alright and I feel comfortable with it. Unfortunately it has a cord which is annyoing after using the cordless MX1000 for so many years now.

Burned my first DVD and it is OK. But it seems it doesn't burn at 2x. No option for it (Nero), and it would be useful when burning OS DVDs. Faster speeds often make OS fail to install.

I use ImgBurn to burn DVDs and never had any problems.  It's absolutely free and the author of the program, LightningUK!, is well respected in the software burning community. 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought Kodak EasyShare C142 Red 10 MP as it was on sale for $55.

Today the second time I went to use it, it worked fine for about a minute, then I get an error:

“Lens obstructed. Remove lens cap.”

There is no lens cap. Someone else on newegg for same model different color stated the same error. So looks like these cameras are defective. I'm RMA for a refund. This should be a fun experience learning how to RMA and to send it off and do they reimburse credit card or send a cheque?

That spoiled your joy. :'(

-

I got the printer set it up and printed the first page. Nice printing even on plain paper (a table), but you have to 'cheat' and state you are using glossy instead of plain. Hmm, Next time I will use some brighter colors for cells' fill as they came out with enough ink and this is a big waste.

Yah, I'm not going to RMA the camera since they will take off $8.25 restocking fee, $2.75 handling, and $20 shipping. So that leaves me with ~$24 to get back. I'll probably just keep it and at least I get usb cable and batteries...

I guess I'm lucky this has been my first lemon item that I bought online.

• 2 weeks later...

omg the new newegg layout is HORRIBLE.

Text too big, now have to scroll a lot.

EDIT:

looks like they changed it back. Hope it stays that way.

EDIT:

nooooo they changed it back. Not going to help me purchase stuff.

EDIT:

hmm, about 10 minutes later changed back to normal. wtf.

This reminds me that I have to pass the cables and connect them to a similar switch in my house. I 've never done this before and it looks like a nightmare. I will connect all the PCs (current and future ones) to where the router is. I refrain from using Wireless because a neighbor is a hacker with a 'fondness' for neighbors wireless, his dad works in the army as a..., and his house and rooftop are full of 'equipment'.

Those shoes, they have something... how to put it correctly... not maleness manly.

I know what you mean. Magnanni

I 've never done this before and it looks like a nightmare.

It is. I am to bored myself to even do it. So at one place I have a small switch connecting the router, a couple of home servers and two access-points. Where I am now I just have one AirPort. Everything else, even the printer is wireless.

• 2 weeks later...

This reminds me that I have to pass the cables and connect them to a similar switch in my house. I 've never done this before and it looks like a nightmare. I will connect all the PCs (current and future ones) to where the router is. I refrain from using Wireless because a neighbor is a hacker with a 'fondness' for neighbors wireless, his dad works in the army as a..., and his house and rooftop are full of 'equipment'.

sound like your lucky he doesn't slice into your cable line and steal it directly.

• 1 month later...

Sometime November/ December I plan on getting new computer. Probably building it myself and ordering parts online, which would be my first time doing so.

I'm not sure what to get exactly, as I'm not sure how much to spend. I've created some packages that cost $500, and others that cost $700. Going from 500-700 I get a lot better/powerful stuff, so I guess justifying paying a bit more for something that should last (speed wise) a lot longer might be worth it.

Here's my expensive build that's in my basket. Total with taxes/shipping is $716.84

$212 CPU AMD 6 core http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103851

150 motherboard sata6 usb3 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631

154.49 Ram 2x4gb http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095

60 Case antec http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

60 430w Power http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 http://www.anandtech.com/show/3902/antec-earthwatts-ea-380d-green-380w/1

20 dvd burner any

Now I can downgrade to quad core and 4 gb of ram which saves $138.34 which of course raises the question is worth extra money for more CPU/ram. More ram is easy to buy/add, but upgrading CPU would be more wasteful in future.

No plans on separate video card since the motherboard comes with ATI Radeon HD 4290 (released in 2010) which would be fast enough for now.

I already have 2x60gb SSD, which my OS/apps would go on. I have 1tb green of storage (although it's more for archival purposes). So no need for HDD yet, although I can see myself getting another 1tb green for more archiving or backup of other 1tb.

Any thoughts on what parts to get? Any comments on the parts I got? Case was picked just because it had lots of good reviews and it didn't show off any LEDs which I don't really want. Powersupply picked because anandtech put out review for it today. I did have combo case/power(500w), but now think that separate is better, and 430w 80plus certified would be better than 500watt. I don't want to be using lots of electricity.

EDIT:

argh spent most of the day doing research, and ended up with more in my basket. I'm going to spend too much money.

I presume 430watt PSU will suffice. I don't plan on getting graphics card right away since the integrated one on motherboard is fast enough for now. It is HD4290.

Based upon anandtech review of PSU I linked, people in comments suggested large PSU are only needed if you have large graphics card or doing some intense power stuff.

Only extra power stuff I plan on is 2 extra fans (case comes with 2), custom cpu fan/heatsink, 2xssd, 1-2HDD, cpu, motherboard, ram. If I get videocard, it won't be a monster, I assume there are some older (1-2 years old) graphics cards that don't require lots of power? Or low power graphics cards? I havn't done any research into graphics cards to be honest. A quick search for some vid card power usage and one reviewer for specific card says 25 watts max, another vid card suggested 400 watt power supply min, and some users saying they got some cards running in 250-300 power supply units. So I think 430 should be good as long as I don't go overkill for vid card. These are $30-$80 cards I'm searching through (ATI 4xxx and 5xxx low profile). So basically if I just need to make sure if I buy vid card get one that doesn't use lots of power, which from a quick newegg search there are plenty.

Also motherboard I currently am looking at, if I add vid card it still uses integrated as well, so it doesn't need to be disabled. Which is apparently good according to anandtech for lower speed vid cards, higherspeed vid cards don't get much benefit from getting help from integrated.

Current research has led me to http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

for custom cpu heatsink.

A week ago I was wanting to spend $500, and now my basket is at $720.

If you won't buy a new GC it is enough. Because many require 450W. It is good you sought a good PSU because others may say 550W but actually do much less than that. The catch is that they write max550W and it is fake. Always read details on PSU label.

Case fans are a necessity as you say and cheap to get. Buy cheap ones may worn out and become noisy. Nevertheless it is not an issue. Where it certainly is an issue is with CPU cooling fan. There you have lots of rpm and you need an expensive quality one. Now I am considering replacing mine with a huge metal one of less rpms, and see if it will suffice, but it needs a lot of work to adapt to fit with heat sink. BTW the best solution is liquid (aka submerge your PC including PSU in mineral oil*) cooling but needs a custom case and plenty of silicone to fill the gaps. WARNING: Keep mechanical HDD, FDD, and DVD player out of the oil! Oh well the 2 last ones don't need to tell, but the mechanical HDD is a must because they have ventilation holes.

*non conductive mineral oil.

If you use simple cooking oil DON'T SUBMERGE THE PSU!

Case fans are a necessity as you say and cheap to get. Buy cheap ones may worn out and become noisy. Nevertheless it is not an issue. Where it certainly is an issue is with CPU cooling fan. There you have lots of rpm and you need an expensive quality one. Now I am considering replacing mine with a huge metal one of less rpms, and see if it will suffice, but it needs a lot of work to adapt to fit with heat sink. BTW the best solution is liquid (aka submerge your PC including PSU in mineral oil*) cooling but needs a custom case and plenty of silicone to fill the gaps. WARNING: Keep mechanical HDD, FDD, and DVD player out of the oil! Oh well the 2 last ones don't need to tell, but the mechanical HDD is a must because they have ventilation holes.

*non conductive mineral oil.

If you use simple cooking oil DON'T SUBMERGE THE PSU!

He is better off to use air cooling, and to wait for the new amd bulldozer lineup.

Also, I spoiled myself and purchased an iphone 4, loving it so far.