what happened to salusa secundus?

piterdevries

In the fast-food-style McDuniverse brought to you by Kevin J. Anderson and that other guy with The Name, some House Major goes renegade and tries to exterminate the Corrino's by bombing the planet with their atomics.

This is made possible because everyone in the McDuniverse charged with an important duty

In the fast-food-style McDuniverse brought to you by Kevin J. Anderson and that other guy with The Name, some House Major goes renegade and tries to exterminate the Corrino's by bombing the planet with their atomics.

I don't remember that anywhere in the original hexalogy it is implied "going renegade" means anything except trying to hide very far away from the Imperium.

But Salusa Secundus was attacked by atomics at some point, wasn't it? Or am I mixing things up? ???

If you can find something in the original six books, let me know, 'cause I've certainly looked.

And there are several places where it would have made sense for FH to mention that the Corrinos had been attacked in that way; like when Duncan is doing a Mentat assessment of the possibility of the Corrinos launching an atomic attack on the Atreides on Arrakis in <i>CoD</i>.

(I did several searches through the Encyclopedia as well just now and couldn't find anything definitive there, either.)

No, you're right, SandChigger; nothing in the originals or the Encyclopedia says anything about what happened to S2.  The prequels say that a renegade House went apeshit on the planet with atomics, and in classic BH/KJA style, the name of said House was "erased from history".

Bada-bap-ba-ba, I'm lovin' it.

OK, I was starting to get a bit worried that I had missed something. ;)

The prequels say that a renegade House went apeshit on the planet with atomics, and in classic BH/KJA style, the name of said House was "erased from history".

Well...

SPOILERS, DISCHARGER, DON'T LOOK!!!

They do reveal the name in Pall of Dumb. It's one that they used in two of the Legends books and two of their Jihad-era short stories. Sounds like something from Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. ;)

Oh yes, that memory comes from the times when I was prepared to treat the prequels as acceptable canon.

I think it had always been somewhere at the back of my mind that Salusa Secundus was nuked. Most probably I'd read here something about it before I got acquainted with the books, and then it stuck. I also believe this is referenced in the cutscenes of EBfD, although I'm not sure about it.

• 4 months later...

I haven't read the six books yet, just the prequels and Dune Encyclopedia.

Since the prequels and DE give totally different accounts, I believe the six canonical books don't address the matter.

What the prequels say has been mentioned before. DE says that S2 was always a harsh world. The Sardaukar (and the Corrinos who descend from the Sardaukar) descent from there, and it was an ideal place to send prisoners on the planet and convert them to Sardaukar.

• 10 months later...

Both the DE and the McDune books are fanfic, written long after the fact. Not relevant in any way to FH's work or the set-up of his fictional universe. Unless you have some documentation proving that he was the source of the information in either.

• 10 years later...

House Tantor was a House Major that used Atomics against House Corrino and they destroyed Salusa Secundus in the 2nd Millenium AG. For that reason the Imperial capital had to be moved to Kaitain. Emperor Hassik Corrino III lashed out against House Tantor, and declared that the family had to be wiped out.

The Tantor's were wiped out and forgotten to history. Moritani is the new House Major on Grumman where House Tantor was.

FandomWiki.