Sheesh dune is becoming weirder and weirder.....

SAND

I have noticed that as new dune movies come or dune games come along they just keep pulling away from from the original idea of dune... I mean when I saw the dune movie for the first time it felt sooo weird lol, I mean when I played the dune game I saw that the planets people were so high tech there costumes were so cool some fremens were green some were blue armour dressed but when I saw the movie the fremen were just with torn cloths old school robes and all isnt this weird and I mean dune was supposed to be a harsh climated planet how could any one survive the heat with those cloths on and what the hell happend to those stillsuits I have so many questions and in dune2 wiki or I dunno where I saw that those infantry or any land troop has to wear something to protect there eyes from the sun or they would het blinded instntly what happend to those things in the movie and the movies in my suggestion could be made popular if ordos were added to them although not included in the novel.... What do you have to say about that....any suggestions or comments hmmm.....

-I agree, Lynch's movie was pretty weird.  I really liked the set/costume design, though.

-Things in the Dune universe are not very high-tech, because of the ban on any type of automatic machine more sophisticated than your alarm clock.

-I assume the Fremen in blue and green are from the game?  The Fremen only really wore colours indoors, as they don't offer much camouflage in the open desert.  And in both the movie and the miniseries, they wanted the viewer to be able to see the actors faces, so they don't usually wear their stillsuit masks or hoods.

-The Ordos were never in the books.  The faction was made by Westwood for the game, and have nothing to do with the storyline of the books.

Oh, and you forgot these:

, , . , , ; , . , , , , . ? , . ? ? , . ? , , , ? ?

what the hell happend to those stillsuits

In both Lynch's movie and the miniseries, the Fremen wear stillsuits, although the design certainly differs. The stillsuits depicted in Cryo's Dune game are actually based on the Lynch's Dune design, but are colored in order to make the sietch leaders have more diverse looks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, drawing attention to your leaders has always been a successful military strategy. ;)

hahahaha! So true!

As Vanguard says, taking a book and its reality and translating it to a visual medium with actors requires some sort of adjustments, in particular the stillsuit masks. The face is one of the most expressive parts of the human body, and to cover it up with full stillsuit masks for 75% or more of a movie is just a bad idea visually. It's like saying you can make a TV show in color but you can only use two of the three color channels, Red, Blue or Green. Who's going to want to do something like that?

Yeah, that's why you get all of these medical shows with no one wearing masks when they REALLY REALLY REALLY should be. ::)

CSI, House, NCIS and lots of others ... just make my spheencters tweetch.

House

I've seen a couple of episodes recently, after my friends told me it's an excellent show, but didn't like it too much. They praised how cynical a doctor Laurie's character is, but I've seen far more cynical medics in real life :P In short, I like his Bertie Wooster much more :)

Sorry for this bit of off-topic.

(The quality varies a lot with the writers, it seems. We're getting the third season over here now, and there have been only a few episodes with the inspired madness of the first episodes of the first season. I still like it, tho. ;) )

Regarding other films where most of an actor's face is covered, the prime current example is <i>The Dark Knight</i>. After the hype of the performances by Heath Ledger and Gary Oldman has waned, go back and look closely at this film and watch carefully how HARD Christian Bale tries to act with just his mouth and teeth. He simply can't do it. And I venture to say most actors couldn't do it. Having that mask on, and the black makeup around his eye sockets so his eyes almost all disappear, you see how much of an impossibility acting with limited facial exposure on film can be. Granted, there are stylized forms of performance, in particular mask work in live performance, that succeed without the face, but that's not what's happening on this screen. And <i>Dune</i> would suffer the same fate as Christian Bale's struggle of a performance if a director were to take the book too literally.

Hey...when did we get these badges (which I assume are related to # of posts)? I'm a Sandwalker, huh?

They were around for a very long tie when the forum started, then they went away fro a couple years, and now are back. :)

I thought there was a thread on the general board discussing this but I'm not sure where it is.

• 4 months later...