Frank Herbert's other books

Dunenewt

I've read Do I Wake or Dream? and some other short stories, as well as about the half of The Santaroga Barrier in Russian, but translations often leave a confusing feel. I think I've got to get some of Frank's books in English someday (in particular, I want to read The Dragon in the Sea) :)

I found that Santaroga Barrier didn't compare to Dune, but it was an interesting read. I found more interesting FH's unpublished Dune things in Road to Dune. I'd like to read this compilation of FH short stories at some point.

I've read a ton of Herbert's other works.  Dragon in the Sea (A.K.A. Under Pressure) was really good; but I wasn't as crazy about the Santaroga Barrier. Two of my favourites were the White Plague, and his only non-sci-fi novel, Soul Catcher.  The ConSentiency novels were pretty good, too.

I also remember a short story (forgot the title) where there's a race of immortal aliens (called Chem, if I'm not mistaken) who secretly shoot "feature films", which are in fact real-life events on Earth that are engineered by them. They also kidnapped human females and made them their sex slaves or something.

I also remember a short story (forgot the title) where there's a race of immortal aliens (called Chem, if I'm not mistaken) who secretly shoot "feature films", which are in fact real-life events on Earth that are engineered by them. They also kidnapped human females and made them their sex slaves or something.

That would be the Heaven Makers.  I wasn't really crazy about it, but parts of it were interesting.

The Dragon In The Sea was a great read, and although short, kept me entertained.  There was lots of things that reminded me of Dune in the book, including the reference to hawkish features, and something about a reed in the wind.