Ubuntu 8.04

Andrew

As tradition, started ubuntu thread for spring release.

Previous threads:

Ubuntu 7.04

Ubuntu 6.06

The release candidate was released today with the final release on Thursday April 24, 2008.

All the download/information on the release candidate (what it includes, differences over 7.10 release) can be found at: Introduction to Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hardy is a long term support (LTS) edition similar to 6.06 version. It will be supported on the desktop for 3 years. So for 3 years people will continue to receive security updates if they don't want to update to a newer version in that time period. Server edition gets 5 years of support.

I've been using hardy since alpha 3, and it has fixed several bugs I had in Gutsy which made Gutsy unusable for me. There are still some bugs and unknowns for me, but I can still get by easily. I still dual boot xp/ubuntu. So I get the best of both operating systems.

On my old pentium 4, 768mb ram, 32mb tnt2 video card I am dual booting win xp and ubuntu 8.04. Ubuntu runs fine on it, although once the final is released and I download some live cds I'll be testing out several versions so ubuntu (xubuntu and other small versions) to see which runs best. I got wireless working on it as well. Currently it is only being used to run firefox.

If you have a terrible internet connection, you can order a cd for free from shipit, although it will take a while to get it.

Here's a summary of forum members on ubuntuforums.org (for my purposes of seeing growth)

274,607 April 18, 2007

307,791 May 27, 2007

402,940 October 17, 2007

407,545 October 21, 2007

435,913 November 22, 2007

453,889 December 15, 2007

500,000 February 9, 2008

555,000 April 18, 2008

558,407 April 23, 2008 3pm EST.

559,152, Active Members: 67,410 April 24, 11pm est

Members: 562,688, Active Members: 71,333 April 27 1:01pm

Members: 563,002, Active Members: 71,636 April 27 6:15pm <--1 new member per minute

Members: 567,513, Active Members: 75,253 May 1

Members: 570,203, Active Members: 76,706 May 4

Members: 600,000 Active Members: 74,321 June 11

Members: 650,857, Active Members: 63,947 August 26

Members: 669,913, Active Members: 63,193 September 25

Members: 680,186, Active Members: 62,965 October 10

Members: 688,877, Active Members: 64,781 October 23 RC release

Members: 693,677, Active Members: 66,097 October 30 release

Members: 700,516, Active Members: 71,100 November 7

Members: 750,697, Active Members: 63,643 January 20, 2009

Members: 775,799, Active Members: 67,756 February 23, 2009

Members: 789,943, Active Members: 65,775 March 15, 2009

Members: 800,357, Active Members: 64,438 March 30, 2009

Members: 811,665, Active Members: 63,923 April 16, 2009 RC

Members: 815,990, Active Members: 64,541 April 23, 2009 9.04 Release

Members: 823,199, Active Members: 71,162 April 30, 2009

Members: 839,800, Active Members: 76,436 May 22, 2009

Members: 849,906, Active Members: 68,128 June 7, 2009

Members: 899,787, Active Members: 60,890 August 26, 2009

Members: 934,455, Active Members: 61,460 October 22, 2009

Members: 937,929, Active Members: 62,467 October 28, 2009

Members: 1,056,836, Active Members: 52,152 April 21, 2010

Members: 1,060,881, Active Members: 52,122 April 29, 2010

I've given up on Linux in all of its incarnations.  I've tried using Live CDs and even wiping my laptop clean and installing it as the primary OS.  Each and every time it either broke, failed to recognise either my monitor or WiFi card, and was overall much more trouble that it's worth.  Even free, it's not something that I'd be interested in trying again.

To be honest, they still need a lot of work in making the whole thing user friendly.  Right now, a lot of stuff has to be done via the console.  I tried something as simple as downloading and extracting a .tar.gz file, and couldn't manage it.  It may run smoother than Windows when it's all set up, but it feels very "cobbled together"; like it's being supported by a frame of spit and tissue, just waiting to crash and cause you hours of fiddling about to get started again.

For me, Windows will always be the winner.  Gaming, simplicity, functionality.  I can do anything that I would ever conceivably want to do on a Windows PC, without having to worry about opening a command line interface and typing jargon to get things going. :)

Yes dual booting is the best option. That way if either OS breaks, you have another OS to go into.

I definitely don't recommend wiping vista off your laptop and installing ubuntu. Dual boot and take time to get used to linux.

This may be the moment I finally convert to Linux, so would it be fine to double boot with a laptop with Vista and Ubuntu?  If I order a CD (download speeds at uni aren't great), will it come with a live CD?

It should be fine to dual boot vista and ubuntu. Make sure to do some google searching to give you some tips on how to do it properly. And obviously backup any important info on your computer in case something goes wrong.

If you order the cd, it will be a live cd. According to the shipit page it will take 6-10 weeks to get to people. So I think you should try downloading it, even if your uni speeds are bad.

I've given up on Linux in all of its incarnations.  I've tried using Live CDs and even wiping my laptop clean and installing it as the primary OS.  Each and every time it either broke, failed to recognise either my monitor or WiFi card, and was overall much more trouble that it's worth.  Even free, it's not something that I'd be interested in trying again.

Ubuntu still does not recognize my monitor. Although I can get the proper resolution and everything, it simply does not state my monitor. As far as I know this doesn't affect anything.

With my old computer to get wireless working I had to install ndiswrapper, have it install the windows driver and it worked and has been working for 2 months with no problems. Not much harder to do than to find and install the drivers for windows versions. They just have different ways of getting it to work. And most windows people are used to the windows way so that is why they would find it easier.

To be honest, they still need a lot of work in making the whole thing user friendly.  Right now, a lot of stuff has to be done via the console.  I tried something as simple as downloading and extracting a .tar.gz file, and couldn't manage it.  It may run smoother than Windows when it's all set up, but it feels very "cobbled together"; like it's being supported by a frame of spit and tissue, just waiting to crash and cause you hours of fiddling about to get started again.

Yep that is true. I have gotten used to terminal somewhat to do the basic stuff (xorg.conf, menu.lst, some other stuff). Now when I need to edit one of those it takes less than a minute, and not very difficult to do. Of course I have been testing ubuntu linux for several years, so it gets easier over time.

I would have to disagree with what you said about it crashing. Once working, as long as I don't go screwing around with the major settings (manually inputting unknowns that may not work into xorg.conf), I don't have it crash on me.

For me, Windows will always be the winner.  Gaming, simplicity, functionality.  I can do anything that I would ever conceivably want to do on a Windows PC, without having to worry about opening a command line interface and typing jargon to get things going. :)

That's why you dual boot. :)

If someone likes customizing their OS (to suit their computer needs, whether it is low end or high end) and having complete control over it (with little chance of viruses/trojans), then linux is better than windows. If you need to figure something out, it is most likely documented on the web which makes it a lot easier to implement.

Take for example my logitech mx400 mouse. For the past two months it had been using default mouse (no forward/back buttons worked, but I didn't care since I rarely use them). Once I realised this last night and I wanted to get "mx400" stuff working, I searched for mx400 on ubuntu forums and within 1 minute found the info I needed to input into xorg.conf to get the forward/back buttons working.

I really don't feel safe on my xp install, randomly getting trojans is not a fun feeling. I got some over this winter that appear to have not done anything, but they could have and I would never know. I also dislike in windows having to have 2 firewalls (for whatever reason windows firewall does not notify me when the .exe changes, and rarely notifies when a new program/installer is trying to phone home), antivirus (gone through 3 different antivirus programs in 1 year), ccleaner, defragment just to feel safe when it clearly doesn't always work.

Sadly most peoples computers I see with windows has spyware or viruses on them. The users don't know the difference, they just know their computer is slow. At least with linux it would be more difficult to install spyware/viruses (because sudo command line would scare them, ZING!).

Of course, with any operating system that isn't backed with millions or billions of dollars and tons of dedicated staff like Microsoft of Apple, you're going to get things that are not user-friendly. I'm not sure why you had problems with extracting, or finding drivers for your hardware, but all of that is solvable if you know how to search forums (Ubuntu forums, for me). And I've had very little crash problems, and practically non-existent OS crashing. But to each his own *sigh*

P.S. Ubuntu, I find, is actually getting a lot more user-friendly than prior versions. Less and less terminal experience is being necessary as programs are being made to do the same things.

P.S. Ubuntu, I find, is actually getting a lot more user-friendly than prior versions. Less and less terminal experience is being necessary as programs are being made to do the same things.

Yep, each version of linux distros are getting better, and they are adding GUI to replace the need for terminal.

Interestingly last night I was bored so I compiled my own kernel. It was a complete failure (did not finish booting computer, and was 500mb instead of ubuntus 60mb). But it was a learning experience to see what me/my OS is capable of. Don't try compiling your own kernel, waste of time unless you know exactly what you are doing :P

I got ubuntu on my old computer for parents to use. It is difficult for them to screw it up, no chance of viruses/trojans (of course they can still forward emails that contain it, but you can do that on windows/mac too). If they do manage to completely break it, I just have to pop in a cd, format/install, back to what it was in an hour. And as a temporary solution, boot into the winxp partition. win win for everyone (except PC manufacturers and MS).

Ubuntu 'reaping Linux dividend'

Article about ubuntu and mark shuttleworth.

Mark Shuttelworth said the French police force was currently deploying 50,000 Ubuntu-powered machines, while Spanish education authorities were rolling out 500,000 desktops with the OS.

Study Finds "Free Open Source Software Is Costing Vendors $60 Billion"

Obviously open source should be made illegal and everyone who has been stealing it should be sued. Information should not be free. ;)

Won't someone think of for profit corporations? They should not have to compete with free software.

EDIT:

On a realistic point, it would be better to say that corporations are saving $60 billion a year by using open source applications.

EDIT:

Oh wow 70 updates taking 110mb today

Final version has been released.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Their servers are getting hammered, so be patient.

If you know how to use torrents those would be the fastest way to get the iso.

I'll be downloading ubuntu, xubuntu, ubuntualternate cds.

And once some other distros sync up with latest 8.04 I'll be downloading those as well. :)

since my internet sucks I'll be downloading them at night while I'm asleep. :)

Full list of mirrors are at

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors

Hey Andrew, I would like to install an Ubuntu on my laptop so I can use it for Blender, some Python coding and turn a music in the mean time, which edition/package do you advice? I have little experience with Ubuntu, but I do know it starts so sweet fast and Blender is (because of Python) good integrated.

edit: A must is wacom tablet support...

Can you give your laptop specs (basic hardware info?)

Most likely assuming your laptop is decent (>=512 ram), you could use the normal ubuntu cd. Which would be for example:

ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso

Also depends on if you want to use 64 bit or 32 bit operating system (I'd recommend 32 bit unless you know you want to use 64 bit). The 64 bit would be for example

ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso and that works on intel processors as well as amd assuming they have 64 bit architecture.

I presume you want to dual boot with windows (recommended :P)?

I think when you start the live cd, then go through the install steps, the 2nd or 3rd step is about the partitions.

You will want to manually do this if dual booting. I think you would decrease the size of your main partition (the one windows is on). Then once you have some gb freed up (install will take 3gb, so make sure to put some more). You would create an ext3 partion for ubuntu install. You also have to create a swap partition (I made mine 384mb or so, it depends on how much ram you have and if you ever plan on constantly using more ram than your computer can handle). For example with swap, I got 3gb ram on my computer (1gb a month ago), I never use more than the ram my computer has so I never use any swap, so a large swap is not necessary as far as I know (similar to windows swap).

So once you have

1. ext3 partition with " / " mount point (where ubuntu install, so at very least 5gb to be safe, depends on how much data you plan on creating on it, but I'd make it bigger say 20gb)

2. swap partition - say 256-512mb in size (I have no idea how much is optimal, try google)

3. windows partition - partition that is already there, you will probably have to minimize this size to create the ext3 and swap partition.

4. windows backup partition - nowadays with computers they have the factory install backup on its own partition. Leave this alone.

Then you can proceed with going to the next step in the installation process.

The partitioner will take some getting used to. I remember when I first partitioned my hard drive I had to look at is several times, reboot computer and google, then go back and see what was going on to get it correct.

As for wacom tablet support I'm not sure what that is (wireless from what google is showing me). Simply google "ubuntu wacom tablet" and you get tons of results. Which should help you enable it if it is not autodetected.

Maker sure you google whatever questions you have, and do some research.

There are even videos online on how to install ubuntu, and do all the partitioning and stuff.

Before doing any of this make sure to backup any data on your computer in case something goes wrong.

If I were you I'd wait for a day or so until the ubuntuforum is fast again, so searching for help will be easy and you won't end up with 404 errors with the forum being down. currently the forum is extremely slow and unresponsive. This should be fixed in 24 hours.

Try the live cd, try to get wacom support working with the live cd. If you can get it to work on the live cd, then it should work when installed.

Have fun and make sure to ask any questions. Searching http://ubuntuforums.org/ and google should find your answers.

Thanks for the reply.

Specs Laptop:

Medion Laptop

P4 2.00Ghz

256 MB Memory

Mobility Radeon (1024 x 768)

HDD 20GB (C,D and E partitions)

You could say it's old. This is what I will do with partitions,

C is now 6.8 GB, will make it 5.8 GB, gives 1 GB free space.

D is now 8,7 GB will make it 3 GB, gives 5.7 GB free space.

E is now 3 GB will delete it, gives 3 GB free space.

Total new free space is 9,7 GB. Will make swap 200 or 500 mb (your call) and 9 GB or more is for Ubuntu.

I will download the Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop from Netherlands server, 700mb at full speed approx. 10 min download...

edit: I realise I don't have any cd's anymore, I searched for a dvd version of ubuntu 8.04, but with no luck.

There are dvd versions, check the mirrors links. But I'd recommend cd version instead of download 5gb of data.

I'd recommend you buy a small pack (say 10) of rewritable cds. That way you can rewrite over them when new versions are out, or if you decide what you put on is useless. I have way too many outdated normal cd-r laying around.

With 256 mb of ram, I would go with xubuntu version. It should use less ram (more ram for your programs to use).

For example normal ubuntu starts using around 200mb when I start it. And thus using firefox would put it over 256mb ram easily (which means it would start using your swap and slow down some).

Blender apparently works in xubuntu (google "xubuntu blender").

You could always try normal ubuntu, and disable stuff you don't use and see if you have enough ram to run it ok. Although 256 ram is low to run normal ubuntu (depends on what programs you will be using).

See

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

For some basic info on minimum requirements.

I'll probably be installing a fresh ubuntu to my new computer, so I'll check to see how much ram is used upon start.

The good thing about linux is that you can customize everything to optimize speed with your computer. And many people already prebiult customized versions using certain software.

A recent version I became aware of is (but not used) LXDE. The screenshots look nice and apparently it uses less ram than xubuntu (while still visually looking decent).

EDIT:

My old computer is

pentium 4 1.8 ghz

768mb ram (was 512 for about 6 years)

tnt2 32mb vid card

80gb hd.

I have normal ubuntu installed on it. When I turn it on is uses 125mb ram. I started update manager and it used 150mb ram.

I have a couple things disabled from starting wehn computer starts such as bluethooth and printer since I don't use that stuff any.

So you should be able to run normal ubuntu fine. You may have to configure it a bit to get the most out of your ram.

I opened firefox up and OS was using 140mb ram total. So you should be fine only using a couple programs at a time.

I would recommend 350mb for swap. I think that is where it puts your ram when you put computer to sleep.

Read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq for more info on swap.

Somewhat ignore what I said in the first of this post. I would try normal ubuntu first. It comes with the best software (openoffice etc) and should run on your laptop, based upon what I am seeing with my old computer (not going over 256mb ram usage).

If you notice it is slow and you have no ram available, then try xubuntu.

Going to format/install on new computer since my current version is a bit messed up from me testing it for the past several months. A fresh install will make things work better hopefully.

I wouldn't try that.

I just finished formatting/installing on new computer. I ran into a serious problem with it saying my cd was defective or my hard drive was when installing. I fixed this by when the live cd booted, I choose install option instead of "try ubuntu" option. I figured I screwed something up when decreasing ntfs partition and increasing ubuntu partition. Everything seems ok though.

EDIT:

Hmm, oddly when I go to system->administration->login window

I get the usual password prompt, then it tries to open it but does not (no error), then my hard drive starts make repeating noises every second (same noise each time). It does this until ubuntu is almost finished shutting down.

This does not occur when I open any other setting or application.

Guess I'll have to reinstall sometime. The command it uses is gksu /usr/sbin/gdmsetup

hmm, I waited a bit and it stopped making the noise and login window options appeared. That's good, I don't plan on using it much.

Ha that install error I was talking about earlier has lots of posts about it here and here. So hopefully it just means my cd is bad. Looks like I could try burning it again to another cd, but then maybe it is the iso I downloaded...

EDIT:

With a fresh install on my new computer and services disabled I don't use it is using 210 mb. So your laptop Thumper will barely run normal ubuntu out of the box.

EDIT:

KDE distros deployed in Brazil school system serving 36 million students

EDIT:

With my new install for some reason it does not automount my windows and data partitions (both ntfs). Having to manually edit fstab file is nearly impossible. I tried inputting the correct info but it did not work. I can mount them by selecting them from "places" menu, but this is annoying to do on every reboot.

EDIT:

Got fstab working properly. Now automounts my two ntfs drives when ubuntu starts. Now I open music player and it plays files from ntfs parition without me having to mount it. :)

EDIT:

woot got AWN working without the need for compiz. So now I got AWN running and my computer is not slow because of compiz. :)

I'm using "xcompmgr && metacity" command on startup (had to install xcompmng). Although it is buggy.

EDIT:

hmm it seems that I can't get audio with ntfs videos on partition and reading/writing to ntfs partition is very slow.

EDIT:

Turns out it was ntfs-3g in fstab file. I got rid of -3g part and now it works much better. audio in video and faster loading.

Actually it turns out that it doesn't like my mp3 player playing at same time. Looks like I can only access one file at a time fast on ntfs partition. I'll probably have to edit something on fstab.

My previous post was edited to death so I am posting a new one.

I have automounting working for my ntfs partitions.

The reason for not being able to play vlc video and audacious audio at same time from ntfs partition is simply because they were both using same sound output plugin :P (stupid me)

So I changed both to pulseaudio output and both work fine now at the same time.

EDIT:

Also good news is that compiz is working better than just before I formatted. somewhat usable now. Not sure why. :)

Fullscreen video works and using cube effects while fullscreen video works ok.

I have run Ubuntu on a different laptop with something like the same specs, but an integrated videocard. Ubuntu ran (compared to XP) very fast and because of the integrated videocard it could only work on simple graphics.

I still have no cd's, so no Ubuntu, perhaps tomorrow I will buy me some new ones. I think 700mb RW.

If you can give the specs on your other laptop that would be interesting to know.

Ubuntu only allows compiz (eye candy) to run on hardware they think it will run on nicely. They disable it for older hardware (mostly because the hardware can not run it, or it will cause too many problems if it does run).

You can still try to get it to run by going to

system->preferences->appearance->visual effects and try one of the options. If it says it could not be enabled, then you are better off not trying to get it to work. And on an older computer it is usually a waste of resources anyway.

In the last 5 hours the ubuntu forums got 300 new members :P

That's exactly 1 new member every minute. Quite interesting.

The link you gave is not working at the moment and so I googled Asus Z92U.

On the first page there were several links to ubuntu related stuff.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AsusZ92U

Although that is more than 9 months out of date. A presume the hardware specs are the same? If so it should run ubuntu fine (maybe not compiz though).

I'm burning the alternate cd now and going to install it and see if it installs better than my previous installation.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

might be helpful for dual booting.

• 1 month later...

So it seems in a week or two there will be 600,000 forum members (currently 597,505). So in a little over a year they have doubled forum member users. Anyone think it is possible for them to double it again in 1.5 years from now?

One thing I have read is that a 3rd partition should be made when installing ubuntu. This would be for the /home folder where you keep all your personal files, data and settings. With this 3rd partition you can then format/install ubuntu on the / partition and you will keep your /home partition intact.

From http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

/home partitions are wonderful things. It would be the equivalent of Windows of having a partition that was the C:Documents and Settings folder. That would include My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, and all your hidden settings, too. Likewise, a /home partition in Ubuntu has all your settings. Ordinarily, it would have your files, too, but in the scenario pictured above, your files would live in the FAT32 partition.

The benefit of having a separate /home partition? Well, it means you can reinstall Ubuntu as many times as you'd like and do a clean install (instead of an upgrade) when a new version of Ubuntu comes along. When you first start using Ubuntu, you usually have no idea what you're doing, and you end up breaking something. Now, if you're a veteran, you know how to fix whatever you've broken. If you have a lot of time, you could probably ask around and find out how to fix it. Sometimes, though, it just seems easier to reinstall (the installation takes anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour), and not having to re-do all your settings is a good thing.

For anyone who hasn't installed ubuntu yet but plans on doing so soon to try it out, I'd recommend waiting until July 3rd as that is when 8.04.1 will be released. This will save you from downloading around 200mb of updates after installing it.

With the recent craze over ultra portable laptops, Ubuntu is developing a Netbook Remix version.

So hopefully when Eeepc releases its Intel Atom version, Ubuntu will be an option to have shipped with it.

One thing I have read is that a 3rd partition should be made when installing ubuntu. This would be for the /home folder where you keep all your personal files, data and settings. With this 3rd partition you can then format/install ubuntu on the / partition and you will keep your /home partition intact.

Which has been the default way of installing UNIX systems. It also had something to do with the (limited) number of harddisk space and the number of harddisk in each server. Again, why do you think UNIX / Linux has all those different mount points and not just all the files located in your root. ;)

Again, why do you think UNIX / Linux has all those different mount points and not just all the files located in your root. ;)

I have no idea. :) I just did what I thought was properly installing ubuntu (which I was, but having other partition is better).

I just burned my first cd using brasero. Very simple to use. Seemed to work. It did an image checksum after burning to make sure it burnt correctly. I don´t normally do that since the last time I did several years ago caused problems.

I´m also using audacity to convert mp3s to lower quality mp3s to fit more onto a cd (quality not important). Figured out how to do basic batching.

I still don't have Ubuntu on my laptop. I bought rewritable cd's to make an install cd, but during installation of Ubuntu the laptop says there are error's on the disc. I re-burned the cd's a couple of times, but it did not work. I'm not sure if it's the laptop (with old cd/dvd-player) that is causing the problem or the burner (that has some strange problems in finding cd's/dvd's).

Is there perhaps a different way to install Ubuntu on a laptop, but not from a cd or dvd? Else I just have to wait a month for the new PC, with a new burner, and see again if it works.