Riddles

Kokiri-Mentat

This is the place to post your riddles and let others try to solve them.

I saw the anagrams thread and also saw the thread for logic puzzles, and there was even a riddle thread by Emprworm, but I wanted to start a new one.

Also, post your attempts to answer other's riddles in hide tags. thank you ;)

Here's the first one.

Sir, I bear a rhyme excelling

In mystic force and magic spelling

Celestial sprites elucidate

All my own striving can't relate

can you decipher it?

sounds like you've done this  before, Dunenewt.  Anyway, I must go now but will probably be back in 4ish hours and see if you or anybody else got it.  also, fyi the last person that had the misfortune of solving this riddle spent 24ish straight hours on it. lol.  It's not mine originally but heard it somewhere.

lol, magical spelling.

anyway, anybody else have riddles?

here's an easier one.

You throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside. What did you eat?

Sir, I bear a rhyme excelling

In mystic force and magic spelling

Celestial sprites elucidate

All my own striving can't relate

Damn you, Kokiri.  That was not easy, but in the end, the comma gave it away. :P

[hide]The number of letters in each word - 3.14159265... it's Pi.[/hide]

Nice job to Dragoon knight and Dunenewt on both riddles ;)  your respective answers are correct.    how much time did it take you Dragoon?  I'm curious cause I only know two people who have attempted and succeeded at that one.

anyway, I'm hungry for some chinese food, so I'll be back with more riddles later tonight.  others feel free to post your own riddles ;D

Couldn't honestly say how long it took me.  When the riddle was first posted, I read it, and I've been mulling it over all day while I browsed the net.  I sat down and thought about it for about half an hour, using all my normal riddle-solving tricks (alternate word meanings, common words, common letters, etc.) until I was fairly stumped.

Then I read the fourth line again; it seemed to say that, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find the answer with just the spelling.  Then it seemed as though the rhyming itself was clanky, so I decided to...

[hide]... start counting.  First lines, then words, then letters.  It was during the letter counting that I noticed the comma, whereupon the answer became obvious.  Always liked Pi.  Both types.[/hide]

here's another one I really like.

Four men sat down to play. They played all night till break of day.

They played for gold and not for fun. With separate scores for everyone.

When they had come to square accounts. They all had made quite fair amounts.

Can you the paradox explain. If no one lost, how all could gain?

and here's an easier one to tide you over till the one above is solved.....anybody else have riddles they like?

What can bring back the dead; make us cry, make us laugh, make us young; born in an instant yet lasts a life time?

another not to bad one that I like.

Where will you find roads without cars, forests without trees and cities without houses?

one more

In spring I am gay in handsome array; in summer more clothing I wear;

when colder it grows I fling off my clothes; and in winter quite naked and bare.

yup good job Khan. ;)

*edit*

OK, i really need to stop posting so many riddles b4 people have a chance at the other ones but I liked this one. so last one till more are solved/posted by others.

Sally (who is a hobo) goes around the street collecting old cigarette butts. She takes the cigarette butts and uses them to hand roll her own cigarettes. She has done this for so long, she knows that it will take her 7 cigarette butts to make one cigarette for herself. If she finds 49 cigarette butts how many cigarettes can she make?

Sally (who is a hobo) goes around the street collecting old cigarette butts. She takes the cigarette butts and uses them to hand roll her own cigarettes. She has done this for so long, she knows that it will take her 7 cigarette butts to make one cigarette for herself. If she finds 49 cigarette butts how many cigarettes can she make?

[hide]Eight.  She will make seven with the initial 49 butts, then use those seven butts to make and eighth one.  That is, unless her rival hobos don't shiv her for the butts before she gets around to it.[/hide]

[edit] Corrected the error Kokiri mentioned in his reply.

lol, Google earth FTW.  you got it.

ok, since only the hard riddle is left unanswered here's a mediumish one.

Many things can create one, it can be of any shape or size,

it is created for various reasons, and it can shrink or grow with time.