Heresy grows from idleness

Edric O

Well, Dawn of War gets mentioned every now and then, but there is no thread dedicated to talking about this wonderful RTS. So I thought I should start one. Post everything about DoW here - strategies, favourite factions, colour schemes, badges, thoughts about the upcoming 3rd expansion pack... and screenshots.

For the Greater Good!

Tau_vs_eldar.png

Whilst I love the game and expansions, I always felt slightly cheated that the initial load video is the same for all 3, the could have done different one for each game.

I remember having Space Crusade for the Amiga and thinking how great it was to be able to play warhammer 40k on my own whenever i felt like it.

For me that the great joy of DoW i don't have to have a few spare hours to play and arrange a game with mates.

Does anyone else play the tabletop game? Remember space marines the 5mm version or Space Hulk.

Hope the bring back the Gene Stealers at some point.

Oh and personally i love to play the Marines (Blood Ravens Rule).

Well, I play Tau, of course, as you might expect. ;) I always pick my sides in games based on their philosophy and backstory. But I must say I feel really attracted by the space marines, with their determination, force of will, and amazingly good in-game quotes.

"The enemies of Man cannot stand before us!"

I got the demo, and it kicks serious arse! Now I'm waiting for them to come up with a compilation that has the game and all three expansions (after the third comes out, of course). I don't intend to stop at Dark Crusade. Oh wait... the Company Of Heroes disc comes with a demo of Dark Crusade! :D

The Servitor is cool. Seriously.

Wow! I thought they would make a Diamond edition, like they did with Neverwinter Nights (Gold with 1 expansion, Platinum with 2, Diamond with 3 expansions). Dawn Of War seemed to be following the same formula... perhaps they would release a Diamond some time later and it would be much cheaper too? :P

It's good that they're already planning for the release of this. That means I just need to wait another month...

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting? They take a while don't they?

I've tried the demo already. For once, a demo that allows me to try out everything from one side. The demo let's you play the Dark Eldar, and they're pretty... funky. Not very strong early game, unlike say the Space Marines. But what do I know? I've gotten all my playing experience from demos so far. Waiting for the Complete Collection to be out ;)

Soulstorm is f***ing awesome!!! The graphics are good, for an upgraded 2004 game. They aren't a patch on Company of Heroes, but Dawn Of War 2 will have better graphics, and, hopefully, the Tyranids. The gameplay is pretty much the same, except for the weird faith and soul essence resources.I don't have Dark Crusade, so before, I couldn't play as the Tau without being restricted to the units I could build.

There's a complete collection? Oh well, I already have three of the four games (DOW, WA and SS)

I would much rather buy THQ's ultimate strategy pack, which includes Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, and Winter Assault.

I must say that I have already fallen for the Dark Eldar, with their new(ish) way of building structures. However, there is always room for the Tau and Space Marines.

"Even in death I still serve"

Well, no, there haven't been any official announcements  :-[, but since Relic have said that Tyranids wouldn't be in any of the expansion packs for Dawn of War, I'm assuming that they would be making Dawn of War 2 so that they could include Tyranids. If they aren't making Dawn of War 2, why was Iron Lore making Soulstorm? I thought it might be because they've moved their veteran DOW people to creating a sequel. Maybe I'm wrong. *shrugs* Sorry if I got your hopes up.

We need a new driver! This one is DEAD. *laughter*

Yeah. I've heard that argument before about Iron Lore doing Soulstorm. You'll never know sometimes I guess ;) Iron Lore has closed down though or something like that, shortly after working on Soulstorm. Something to do with them not being able to secure funds for another project.

You're right, that is quite strange. Other tabletop game franchises have made forays into television and cinema in the past - usually with limited success, but even that is better than nothing. There was a D&D cartoon series back in the '80s, and I think also a D&D movie or two. Why no Warhammer 40k movie?

In fact, there should be a W40k cartoon series too, teaching children to behave like space marines. ;D

I've finally seen Dawn Of War: Soulstorm on the shelves in Singapore today. Maybe they were here a couple of days earlier. I saw nothing last Friday.

But out of the three shops I looked at today, only one of them had it, and for a whopping S$51.90.

Furthermore, I have my doubts about Dawn Of War: The Complete Collection. Only Amazon.uk and gameseek seem to have it, and in pounds. A freaking 30 pounds. Amazon.com, however, has no entry for it at all, despite it coming out in an alleged 9 days. Perhaps this is a Europe-only release?