Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to see Joanna Dark.  I loved perfect dark on N64.  It was the unofficial sequel to Goldeneye...the game that stole my FPS virginity.  Matter of fact I would love to see James Bond.  James McCloud would be cool.  Basically an old star fox w/ sunglasses. 

Um, was Gotenks ever a nintendo character?  I don't remember any DBZ games being on nintendo.

Heh...remember banjo kazooie?  That would be interesting.  probably would end up being the new ice climbers.  Teenage mutant ninja turtles.  the TMNT game for SNES was awesome!  oh the days of youth....

Gotenks, is from DBZ budokai Tenkaichi 2 + 3, which came out on Wii and PS2, and even if he is a third party character, look at Sonic and Snake. I think James bond sucks balls (no offence), I never played alone in the dark (or whatever its called), so I wouldn't know the characters. Also nintendo (unfortunatly) has stated that, there will only be one more "third-party game" to be added to SSBB, they still haven't shown what game/game characters it will be.

TNMT chars wouldn't be too bad, but I wouldn't really want them in the game and that would mean no Gotenks/Megaman/Soma cruz... So that would be really g@y. :(

Megaman has awesome potential in SSB.  So how good are you at SSB?  I can hold my own among most of my friends, but tourny play, well  forget it.  I've heard that just to advance in tournaments you need to be able to wavedash on command, not to mention have a few infinite combos in your fighting repertoure.  I play as fox.  sometimes adult link.  who's your character of choice?

If somebody could decide which characters to put in SSBB, it would be best for him to select characters based on their ''apropriateness'' (style of moves, backstory e.t.c) in SSBB rather than nostalgia or how funwell liked they were in their respective games. If nintendo selected their characters on those lines the chances of seeing (IMO) Gotenks, Bond, e.t.c would be quite slim since those characters would be inapropriate for reasons of backstory/nature and moveslist.

However, one should take note that the characters Nintendo have selected do not seem to follow these guidelines with innapropriate (and frankly, foolish if I do say myself) characters such as Wario, Olimar, e.t.c entering the fray.

Though one desiring such characters could garner some meager hope from this, that hope would unfortunately be misplaced as Nintendo's selections have suggested that the guideline they've been following with their last few entries seems to be: Are they from Nintendo or not?. This had led to much scraping of the bottom of the barrel with the likes of fore-mentioned  Wario and Olimar.

Alas, Nintendo's  reasoning for not adding in a few far ''cooler'' more appropriate and interesting characters in their stead is unknown to me or (if it is even existent) apparently beyond my scope of imagination. It's not like they couldn't do with a bit more popularity amongst third party developers right? (who seem to stay well away from the machine for all intents and purposes rather than making cr@ppy cheap cash games:D. Maybe they're all jealous about not having their characters chosen to be guest starring in SSBB :- ;D).

I suppose they perhaps want to avoid seeming like they're selling out the SSBB series for marketing purposes but I think that would only seem the case to ,shall we call them, non-casual gamers (the only ones who would even take note of such things) if their third party characters implied that by seeming lame and more suited to advertising purposes rather than for fun purposes.

In addition, it is not as though we are seeing an Soul Calibur style situation here where guest characters are virtually invariably out of place since pretty much every character is (by virtue of the ''story'' of SSBB) a guest character who just popped through a dimensional hole or whatever may be the case. Ie: no damage to the story possible here from inapropriate guest characters.

Also, while some people seem think that the crossovers and guest characters involving more than 1 developer party should be minimized lest they become heinous crimes that somehow ruin the game, there are many games that exemplify how guest characters can add a lot to games without taking away from them (although those are crossover games like Marvel Vs Capcom, so is SSBB, basically making the point that additional 3rd party representation is ok in a cross over themed game like SSBB, even though it may have negative effects in games like sc IV)

As for the characters, I'd say Tails, Amy and Megaman fit the bill pretty well. Basically

Megaman has awesome potential in SSB.  So how good are you at SSB?  I can hold my own among most of my friends, but tourny play, well  forget it.  I've heard that just to advance in tournaments you need to be able to wavedash on command, not to mention have a few infinite combos in your fighting repertoure.  I play as fox.  sometimes adult link.  who's your character of choice?

I'm really good at SSB, I think Sora ((KH II) would be really, really, really, (etc), cool.

I think Gotenks would be fine.

WHAT IS WAVEDASHING!!!

Wave dashing is when you jump up, then as you comedown you do the airdodge move (R trigger + direction) but you wait till right before the feet touch the ground to do the airdodge.  If done correctly the character should slide across the screen (as if on ice) and better yet you can do moves while you are sliding.  If you get really good you can control how far you slide based on the direction of your control stick.  To practice it go to training mode and try with luigi on slowest setting.  It's VERY difficult to be able to do without fail in normal play.  It can really throw someone off their fighting rhythm and is a great way to break someones juggling combos.

*edit*

Who is this Amy you two are speaking of?

Also as for fun-ness of the game:  Yes, I love the nostalgia of having all the old-school nintendo characters in one game where they duke it out.  But for me, another HUGE factor is the insanely complex fighting engine (ex:  wavedashing...although that was more of an accident in the programming)    I have many good memories of my roommate and I having epic duels of Link vs Marth or Fox vs Falco.  Great stuff.  So, for me, if they were to bring in a few more "black sheep" characters I wouldn't be terribly offended.

Wario and Olimar........who's Olimar again.  Also, isn't that one guy from MGS  series in the game as well?  I think he's probably a stranger choice than the wario olimar combo.

(captain) Olimer - Pikmin, he's kinda... G@Y. :D

I can't believe you don't know who amy is... You know... the pink hedgehog girl with the big piko hammer, who is always chasing Sonic around because she wants to marry him/have his body.

What do you think of Sora? :D (kingdom hearts II)

is wave dashing like, right before hitting the floor you press block and you go sliding? because if it is that then, I think I've done it.

Oh, and what do you think of robot boy? :D

I always play SSB/SSBM with my brothers, and I've finished everything in SSBM (I think), including doing all characters in all modes, and in home run contest I got 475 (or 474) with Yoshi!!! xD, and I play with my friends if I can.

who's your character of choice?

I like to use Kirby, Ness and mewtwo (yay for psychic people!!!xD)

Up until recently I played as pikachu EXCLUSIVELY. This continued for many years dating back nearly as far as the release date to nearly the present day (- a few months). This is actually a trend I follow to large degree in a great many games. In SCII I've ONLY ever played as Nightmare (This started due to the great difficulty and required skill of using this character (especially with my unique dodge style). It took a few years to get good enough to obtain a decent win ratio against even amatuers and begginers, though it payed off in the end with a fighting style often described by others as simply ''spectacular'' which always impresses with it's reactionary nature as opposed to the ''pre-programmed'' combo style followed by the typical combatant. My bragging is both arrogant and resulting in digression, but I do say both are well excused by the years of training and defeat to button mashers. Anyway, the point to all this (finally) is that after training to a sufficient degree the development arose where it simply felt ''wrong'' to use another character and I never have. Silly perhaps, but I simply cannot overcome said feeling of wrongness and use a different character. Eventually, this pattern began to occur in other games but I have recently began to overcome it and use different characters.

Hence I have now also tried Kirby, Ganondorf, DK, Bowser (My time spend with Nightmare has endeared me to slow ''fatty' characters with which I now have an affinity) and adult Link. Lol, adult Link:D. Btw, The only one I have gained a serious liking to is adult Link (to be expected of those of the male persuasion, presumably:D Though in reality it is more likely a sword thing... *continues to sound perverse*:D[quote author=Kokiri-Mentat.

Anyway, where are the other SSBM fans? I suppose that many upon this board (as tends to be the case) have not had the fortune of having their abodes (humble abodes, that is, not having a gamecube:D) graced by the game cube. Without sounding too much like a fanboy (which I'm not, by the way :P ;D), I dare say that the vast majority of the gaming I do these days in on the gamecube; due in great part to the classics SSBM and SCII which preside over it in my collection.

(edit)

Almost forgot, this post celebrates my new text color! (In all honesty, it was mostly intended as an excuse to try out my new color :D I feel like I just got a bike or something ;D). It's a big thing for me, as those who know me well will know of my general aversioncontempt of personalizing things. Upon creating characters in various game I often deighn to not even give them names:D.

Oh, yea, Amy from sonic, don't remember her in any games I played, I remember knuckles.  captain olimer...yea, never played pikmin.  I remember when they pushed hard for that game in the media.  It' looks kinda like a version of lemmings (remember that game on SNES?).  guess it never really caught on.  speaking of early CG games...remember when they were first calling the gamegube the Dolphin?  That was in the golden age of N64.

and as for wavedashing, you are correct gotenks.  the jumb/block/slidy thing is the wavedash.  I'm too inept to pull it off in reg. gameplay.  Unless you plan on tourny play it's prob. not worth the time.  what is worth the time is developing a few meteor smash moves.  Those are sick.  I haven't found any good reliable ones yet w/ fox :(  But I can hold my own with his speed and juggling abilities, not to mention I pride my self on my roling abilities.

Adult link is freakin' amazing.  My roommate thinks he's cheap because he's got a killer combination of ranged abilities and up close melee skills (good enough to hold is own against any Marth swipe/counter whore.  n2m ledge whoring >:().  And the master sword plant is just Damn Sexy!!  I love how it can be directed mid-air.  But I'm too ingrained im my fox skills to make link my perm. character.

Oh, and Gotenks, you should try the HR contest again.  I think I got like 1000 or 2000 ft. on that w/ yoshi using his air bicycle kick repeatedly, followed by a charged "A" attack w/ the bat at the end of course.  The bycicle kick is the way to go.  If done correctly it should do 25-30 damage each time.  I usually have time for 3 or 4 bycicle kicks.  The poor sand bag guy :'(

Oh, and congrats on the new color Sneakgab ;)  Now this thread looks like 4th of July :D

Oh, and Gotenks, you should try the HR contest again.  I think I got like 1000 or 2000 ft. on that w/ yoshi using his air bicycle kick repeatedly, followed by a charged "A" attack w/ the bat at the end of course.  The bycicle kick is the way to go.  If done correctly it should do 25-30 damage each time.  I usually have time for 3 or 4 bycicle kicks.  The poor sand bag guy :'(

when i said that i mean't not in feet (because I have the pal version, and... its not in feet, might be in meters)

what is worth the time is developing a few meteor smash moves.  Those are sick.  I haven't found any good reliable ones yet w/ fox   But I can hold my own with his speed and juggling abilities, not to mention I pride my self on my roling abilities.

rolling makes you invulnerable, i don't mind air-dodges and the down dodge, but rolling dodges are kinda stupid... lol, I was playing a match with my brother, and he was like "rolling is so g@y" and then... I rolled all around him, and he couldn't do anything!!!xD (Although, I think rolling is g@y too, sorry), but, I think sometimes rolling is fine, for example when you block an attack and the opponent keeps on doing attacks until your shield breaks.

Meteor Smashes are really cool, but they can be quite g@y when someones trying to get back to the stage... but they really look cool!!! xD.

The sword Plant is super sexy :D.

Adult link is in no way unfair, his boomerang is like... completely useless (if you know the way its supposed to be used can you tell me?)

Fox is quite the cage fighter (cage fighter=very fast), and his moves are quite cool, my brother (SneakGab) thinks that throws are unfair... along with rolling, ness, fox, Mario and Mewtwo (because of his really good throws... well actually, he just thinks he's g@y)... its very annoying to hear him call them unfair and g@Y >:(...

What do you think of Sora? :D (kingdom hearts II)

what do you think of robot boy? :D

well?

I like psychic characters, and i'm really good with mewtwo, kirby and ness, although I use nearly every chararacter (I just use Kirby, Mewtwo and ness more).

I can't believe they put diddy kong in Brawl, when I went to the (official) SSBB site... and saw diddy kong in the char. list... I was like... "NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

when I saw Sonic, I was like "Yay!!!", also that mean't that tails and Amy might be characters.

What character (any char.) would you want in SSBB?

when you are doing wave dashing, do you have to be spinning in the air? (get knocked and then you start flipping), is it like a Ukemi?

Yea rolling is kinda weird because between two equal players if both don't know how to counter rolling, and if one rolls and the other doesn't then the roller will win.  Part of the "cheapness" is that it seems like the learning curve to overcomming rolling opponents is a little slow.  much of it is anticipation I think.  My friend who is an amazing marth player (and not just cheap)  tosses my rolls aside like flippin' pancakes at an IHOP.  yea, he's really good (and I'm no pushover).

"boomerang...." -kirby

aha!!  the boomerang, I love that thing.  I thought it was useless at first untill I started using it when opponents (or I) charged towards each other.  throw boomerang, if it hits, then you've got a small window opportunity to sneak in a meele or a grab.  I opt. for the meele cause that usually turns into a 4 or five hit juggle for me.  Very usefull with players who like to  charge towards you from equal level as opposed to jumping at you.  Although could be used to counter jumps it is much more difficult to get the coordination for a hit.  My roommate hates it when I do the boomerang to stop his charge.

Mewtwo has cool throws.  you know the move of his that simply flips the opponent backwards away from you??  I found out on accident that this move will actually counter the jiggly puff charge rolling attack.  It looks really cool when it works.

"wavedashing..."

um, I always just jumped up w/ the gray buttons.  I don't recall ever pulling it off from being hit in the air, although that's even harder to do if it is even possible.

"robot boy, Sora..." -kirby

well I can't say I ever played kingdom hearts or robot boy.  I've seen a couple funny AMV's using K of H graphics.  Something about an emo song. (it was pretty funny)  but yea Sora looks cool.  he'd definitely add good diversity to the cast.

"characters you want in the new SSBB...."-kirby

Joanna Dark. I thought she was the hotest pixelated female in the universe when I was like 12.  But also that game was the best console FPS since goldeneye.  also toad. I think it is way lame that the only toad we see in SSB is when peach does her weird block move.  Why does he have to be the B!tch?  Besides I thought toad was really awesome at mariokart 64, and then SSB he get's demoted to "Princess's B!tch"

Ok, so have any of you actually done the black whole glitch?  I saw it on youtube, but haven't tried it yet cause I only have 2 controlers.  It looks really cool.

Black hole/whole list!!!xD, what do you have to do!!!

(OMG, mewtwo's throws are cool)

Yay! I thought there was something you could do with the boomerang... :D

whenever I hit the floor after being knocked I do a ukemi thing... So I guess its not wavedashing, is wavedashing just doing an air-dodge really close to the ground? If it isn't it must be like... really hard to do.

Do you watch CN (Cartoon network)? Cause theres a show called Robotboy... so you probably don't. :P

I haven't really watched CN in like 3 or 4 years.  No time anymore.....but I remember watching Freeza Saga in like 8th grade maybe.  Um.....I didn't see this show on CN but I know it's on late at night recently, do you know Death Note??  I watched that show every wed. for like 3 or 4 months last winter/spring.  one of my all-time favorite shows.  Watching all 36ish episodes in order is like experiencing a creative masterpiece come to fruition.  IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT DO NOT SEARCH FOR IT ONLINE.  If you read spoilers it will ruin the whole series for you.  I do not consider my self an "anime fan" (only seen a couple) but I think that this series bridges the gap between art form and entertainment for the japanese anime genre.  completely awesome.  I saw a short clip w/ english dubs and I prefer japanese w/ english subs. but that's just me.

for black hole just youtube SSBM black hole glitch and you should find a video demonstration.  there are several out there.  It takes 4 players so you need 4 controllers, which is why I haven't tried it yet.  It looks really fun XD.

wavedash utilized the air block button combo, but you don't actually do an air block.  If you do an air block, you did it too soon.  If you land w/ out sliding, then it was too late.  It has to be precisely in the in-between zone of the two.

What is the black hole glitch, as in, what does it look like and what does it do?

I cannot believe that they would show death note on CN. xD, although I don't really like death note... but... this isn't really about anime, its about Smash bros Brawl, but you may continue if you want. Although I am a super anime/game Fan.

CN is nice. :D

Wave-dashing is easy. i've finally done it, I do it all the time.

Are you in america? because if you are, you're really lucky... IT'S NOT FAIRRR!!! :'( :'( :'(. In europe it's rumored that it's (SSBB) only coming out in... in... :'(... JUNE!!! *Sob* Nintendo always scre*ws over europeans (I live in South Africa), it's not fair!!! Nintendo = all evil.

oh and by the way is double posting "legal"? :(

yea, Europe always got the bum luck w/ console releases.  But the US is usually a few months behind Japanese releases as well.  (I am in US btw). 

Lol  I remember when I was like 9 years old was when I'd first met someone from S. Africa.  Before she came we were thinkin "Ok, from South Africa.  of course she'll be African blood and will be talking with strange clicking noises."  Well first day she shows up she's whiter than any of us and had a british accent on top of that.  The ignorance of youth.  yay.  she was cool.

anyway yea, i think march for us is the release date, but I'm not 2 sure.  I don't have a Wii anyways.  It would be sweet if they did the thing like w/ zelda TP.  But i'm not counting on it.

HA.  now your wavedashing.  you must have more patience than me, and more skilled lol.

By the way a certain char is out of the game...do you mind spoilers?

(edit)

I hardly concider this a spoiler, it says that a certain char is out

[hide]Mewtwo is not in the game and is replaced by the hobo pokemon - see who it is in the next hidden text -...[/hide]

char spoiler below. :D

[hide]LUCARIO!!!... Stupid jackel...[/hide]

(edit)

HA.  now your wavedashing.  you must have more patience than me, and more skilled lol.

Thanks (*blush* *blush* (joking))

By the way, i've read smash (melee and 64) forums and people say ness sucks... why? I kill my friends chars (and my brother's chars)... and they all say he's unfair(well... only one of my brothers)... until very recently, which my brother thinks ness is now fair (although I still kick buttox :D)

• 2 weeks later...

I read a forum and people said that he was hard to master (and seemed to have alot of fans) and some people abandoned playing him.

he takes more practice to get good at imo. 

Nintendo replaced him with [hide]Lucario[/hide] because he was populer ([hide]Lucario[/hide]) because they advertised him so much, and Mewtwo wasn't as populer, they wanted to attract more people to buy the game. Also, Sonic is supposed to be a secret character but they showed him anyway, again, they probably did it to attract more people to the game. Although I'm not saying the game is bad.

It looks quite cool, although I was hoping to see Roxas in the video though. If only they (Nintendo) had a cool character roster like that in super smash bros. brawl, oh no, but Nintendo has to put in WARIO!!!

Still, Super smash bros. Brawl is really good, it's getting 10 out of 10 on a lot of sites, and character roster isn't everything, it still looks cool though.