the best unit in dune II

kloball31

I can't remember the BEST unit (haven't played the game in years), but I can remember the WORST unit - the saboteur (I mean, you couldn't even control that stupid thing!).

You can control the sabataur. When you deploy it, Click around the palace and you will find it, If you dont do anything for a while, the sabataur will go off on its own and attack for you. Other wise you can direct its attack.

• 2 weeks later...

Missle Tank, because even though it is pretty damn weak, I like it because it's the only unit other than that M_____ F______ cheap Sonic Tank that can range a R. Turret, and because it makes a cool sound 8)

Devastator is second, simply because of how massive it is, i mean even a Siege Tank would be scared of it  ;D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Duke_Killersiil

I think the best unit is the Siege Tank ,but Death Hand is REALY POWERFUL. The unit that sucked the most was the Soldier.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yup.. in RA you can't counter nukes either... but they don't realy do a lot of damage so no harm done here... except that they should rename it to decoy missile or something :)

in TA it was pretty cool... you had a defence system that could fire a laser at nukes so they would be destroyed before they hit the ground.... Earth2150 has comparable thing

well, i wont change the Harkonnen weapon. But.. since its a Dune 2 clone and open source you can make modifications. Maybe add a unit or a specific structure which will disturb the targetting offset for that missile? So when you are lucky the missile pointed at you will totally go somewhere else? (and maybe even land on your own base?)

In Starcraft you must send a spy (called "ghost") to the enemy base to aim the nuke. It takes some time to aim the missile and the ghost can't move during the process. When the ghost is killed the nuke won't fire. A gaming magazine commented it that "nowadays generals would think it's ridiculous" :) but it's interesting solution to counter missiles.

a square of 9 sonics was almost all i needed to sweep through any Dune2 stage. There was the odd ocassion when a thopter bugged me and forced me to call in one launcher. But that was rare. The trike was also very important -> sent it on suicide recon into the enemy base.

i always played Atreides. My younger brother was always Ordos and my youngest brother was Harkonnen. The three of us used to play competitive simply by comparing our rankings for stages. My Ordos brother used the most balance in his forces, tactics and formations, i have to admit. He didn't rely heavily on any super weapons like my Harkonnen bro. He liked using thopters for the quip de grace. What he'd do is build alot of Hfactories and in all of them he'd get thopters built up to say 80% then pause production untill he had siegetanks parked on almost all Rturret positions... it looked cool. 8)