Ubuntu 7.04

Andrew

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn has been released.

http://www.ubuntu.com/  or

http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.04/  which has torrents/other versions as well.

One thread at the ubuntu forums says that the torrents are transferring 5gb/sec. :O

If you are familiar with torrents, I'd download with a torrent as that will be fastest way to get it.

I'm almost done downloading, 77%, should be done in 2 hours (HTTP).

I tried the livecd beta and it looked really nice and ran very nicely from the cd on my new computer.

Will be formatting my linux partition on old computer and installing 7.04 over my 6.06 (June 2006) version to test it out.

Remember, you can download 700mb live cd to test/play on your computer without it affecting or damaging your computer in any way. :)

EDIT:

Apparently there are 7555 people on the "Ubuntu-7.04 desktop i386 CD" torrent alone according to LinuxTracker.

As a linux distro (comparing to other linux distros) or compared to windows?

It's free free free. Many flavors of it (gnome, KDE, XFCE desktop environments)

Easy updates (think windows update, but for linux, and is much simpler to update (no verification that you run a genuine linux or takes you to a website)). Incremental product releases every 6 months (instead of a big jump every 6 years for Windows).

Ubuntu does have a long term support release which was the version released last June (support for 5 years I think, which means updates for 5 years).

If you have a newer computer Re-erjin999, you could download the livecd (normal download), and try it out without it affecting your computer or windows. It would run off of the CD.

You don't have to worry about viruses in linux. So there is no need to have antivirus or spyware software running all the time. (no need for specific firewalls either since it has built in firewall kinda like windows firewall).

Not bad of an OS if you are not relying on Windows only software. Most windows software you can find equivalent stuff for linux. You can install ubuntu (or any linux) and dual boot with windows (if you do it correct). So you can choose if you want to go into windows or ubuntu at startup.

I don't use linux much now, usually just install it on old computer to dual boot. Too hooked on miranda IM, winamp. I also cant completely switch because of two industry software that are Windows only (~$1500 worth).

If you can get ubuntu to dual boot with windows you're set, nothing wrong with two operating systems :P In case one breaks down.

EDIT:

With beryl, it has much more eye candy than vista has if you are into eye candy.

As a linux distro (comparing to other linux distros) or compared to windows?

It's free free free. Many flavors of it (gnome, KDE, XFCE desktop environments)

Easy updates (think windows update, but for linux, and is much simpler to update (no verification that you run a genuine linux or takes you to a website)). Incremental product releases every 6 months (instead of a big jump every 6 years for Windows).

Ubuntu does have a long term support release which was the version released last June (support for 5 years I think, which means updates for 5 years).

What did you expect ;)

Windows update isn't that much different from Linux updates nowdays. (finally) Although why I need a kernel upgrade on Linux to enable routing functionality is still beyond me :P

And having a new product release every 6 months is fun. Imagine reinstalling 1400 Systems every 7 months or so.

You know Windows Vista has a PXE life boot. Which just eliminated my need for bootable CD's.

I have to admit, using 3d desktops is easy in the new Ubuntu. But then use the real one and use Solaris ;)

Dell computers with ubuntu to be cheaper than with windows

Hope that is true. Then people can buy a computer and format it and put whatever they want on it without having to pay for an OS they don't want. I'm sure this will piss of MS, and they will probably blabber on about how linux infringes copyrights etc without providing any examples.

@Re-erjin999

Ubuntu is one of the better distros. Not that I'm an expert, but it is the most popular and people think it is easy/simple to use.

@ gryphon

I forgot about the windows update notification thing in system tray. I have that turned off as i find it very annoying and it would try to install stuff I don't want to install (WGA lol).

And anyone else who has windows (that I know) that has the windows update in systray ignore it. It probably has all the updates downloaded, but they never bother to install them. More of a nuisance to them.

Dell computers with ubuntu to be cheaper than with windows

Hope that is true. Then people can buy a computer and format it and put whatever they want on it without having to pay for an OS they don't want.

If I can get my money back for loading the computer with Ubuntu it's fine with me. :)

They used to have servers shipped without any OS at all (no Windows, Novell, FreeDOS or Linux). Maybe to silence all those against they should have 3 options for Desktops. 1) Windows, 2) Linux and 3) without OS.

My Windows updates is set to detect, then let me select and download what I want. But then whatever works for you. :)

Acriku-

Do you mean have ubuntu and windows have access to read/write to a similar partition? Say a partition that has all your music/videos or data files? I think it is possible. I know reading a ntfs partition in ubuntu is easy, although writing is not as easy (I listened to music on ubuntu that was on ntfs partition).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reinstalled Ubuntu on my old computer (I installed windows after installing Ubuntu a couple months ago which hid the grub). Installed a bunch of stuff, even mispelled a word in xorg.conf which broke the graphical user interface, but luckily I was able to fix that. I even got the hosts file to work so no more ads!

Sometime I'm gonna have to format new computer and make lots of partitions (one for windows, one for data so I can wipe windows partition whenever, then the linux partitions) and add Ubuntu since it would run really fast on it.

I'm thinking the old computer with Ubuntu will be great for my parents since it will be hard for them to get virus/spyware.

I'll just set it up so they can turn it on, sign on, then open firefox to get the weather/news/email.

EDIT:

Trying to install xubuntu to see if it runs faster but keeps giving me an error (it opens up all my partition folders on the desktop for some reason). Downloading alternate install cd.

EDIT:

Installing xubuntu with the alternate text install cd. Worked great so far. Easy to install. Hope xubuntu runs faster than ubuntu gnome.

• 3 months later...

New Ubuntu version being released tomorrow.

274,607 forum users on April 18, 2007.

Now it is October 17, 2007 and there are 402,940 forum members. That is a 12,395 increase in members in the past 21 days since beta was released and 128,333 increase since April 18, 2007.

The former CEO of Linspire has switched to Ubuntu

This version has some new changes, and if you are skeptical wait until May 2008 release which will be along term support (3-5 years) release.

As always there is the great live-cd to test to see if it works on your hardware before installing.

I still got a 30gb unused partition on my new computer (will eventually dual boot ubuntu and win xp) and I'll be formatting my old computer and trying out fluxbuntu (or regular ubuntu and put fluxbox on since it is supposed to be real fast).

With the new version you should be able to read/write to NTFS (windows) partitions.

I'm also awaiting Damn Small Linux 4.0 which should have lots of improvements. Should work great on very old computers.

I would have created a new topic but will wait until 2008 release.

New ubuntu has officially been released.

All the servers are melting. Online forum user record broken.

Since I cant use torrent I am using http and the only Canadian mirror is getting hammered. Only getting 10kb/s. It's gonna take 12 hours to download it from there. Oh well I'll download xubuntu at same time from another mirror. Although it seems the only xubuntu link is dead.

Xubuntu works great on my old computer.

Still havn't got ubuntu on my new computer working good (running from livecd), it doesn't show up on my monitor correctly. It recognizes correct resolution, monitor, and video card, but for whatever reason it doesn't show up good at all.

Here's a pic to show what I mean:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2554/ubuntuscreenlz2.jpg

My bug report

My forum thread

All you have to do is burn a live cd to test it out (rewritable so you can put different releases on it). It wont do anything to your computer unless you install it. :)

So if everything works fine with live cd, then it should work fine installed. You may want to create a partition for it and dual boot it and windows (play games on windows etc). This way I can use either OS. And if for some reason one OS gets messed up I can always boot into the other one to figure out how to fix the other one. :)

I still cant get 1680*1050 resolution. But I did find 1440*900 fits perfectly on my screen so I'll use that until the other problem gets fixed.

And if anyone thinks it is crap wait until the release in April 2007 (6 months from now). It will fix most bugs in this release and make it more stable. It is a long term support release, so you can have it installed for 3 years or so and get updates.

In past 4 days they got 4605 new forum members :) (407,545).

After an hour of trying to get compiz stuff working (it appears my video card is blacklisted because of stability issues). I disabled the black list and now the visuals work. They look great :O

Just like in all the youtube videos!

Playing with them is very interesting.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Hardware/Blacklist

EDIT:

Took about 2 minutes on forum to get help to make it work.

Holy crap the visual effects and amount of settings possible is ridiculous.

There's ~60 visual settings (to deal with every little thing possible) each with it's own set of settings to customize it however you want.

Downside of my card being blacklisted is that with compiz running, video doesn't work. But if I disable compiz video works, so if I need to watch video(DVD) I can turn off compiz.

EDIT:

Got my mp3 working. I'm listening to my mp3 collection from my ntfs windows partition on ubuntu :)

EDIT:

Got my surround sound working properly. Had installed amarok music player but it uses KDE stuff so I got rid of that and installed Exaile music player which is similar to amarok but uses gnome stuff.

I uninstalled programs I will not be using. Installed google earth, VLC.

Takes 23 seconds to load ubuntu. Here's my bootchart:

gutsy200710223hn9.th.png

Current screenshot:

screenshotly6.th.jpg

Using a bright background so panel transparency looks better. (black text on brighter background)

• 1 month later...

Got Ubuntu 7.10 running alongside Windows. Got it connected to the Internet, but the browser runs quite slowly, and for some reason it won't let me add any programs (like AbiWord) - it keeps telling me to update my list from the Internet, even though I keep telling it to go ahead and do it.

Otherwise, I think it's a swell idea - it's probably me who's being the idiot anyway.

Definitely get help at

http://ubuntuforums.org/

They are very helpful. Also try searching the forums for your problem, There is a good chance someone else has had a similar problem before.

So you have tried going into synaptic, search for abiword, tell it to install it. Then it gives you the error that you need more repositories?

If you are using firefox and you notice it to be slow, you could try Swiftfox builds that are made specifically for certain processors. It worked good for me on my old computer. But I havn't tried it on my new computer since it runs fine. There are also some tips on the ubuntuforums about how to speed up firefox. One setting I remember people saying to switch is the IP6 protocol or something. I think Lots of people had that problem with firefox on ubuntu.

Simply searching "ip6 firefox" brought up lots of results. Such as

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=589011&highlight=ip6+firefox

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87798&highlight=ip6+firefox

435,913 forum members.