Ubuntu 7.04

Andrew

Sorry, my last reply wasn't too specific.

When I go to "Add/Remove Programs" it doesn't allow me to "add" any software or games. It says my list is out of date, but it doesn't seem to let me update, even though my Internet connection is working perfectly otherwise, besides the above-mentioned problem with the browser.

But I'll do as you say and go to the forums.

How about an uptodate liveCD from these lot?

You mean when you first install it it asks you to download around 150 mb of updates?

It would be nice, and I'm not sure why they don't do it more often. I remember they did do it once recently with a previous version.

Luckily a new version is released every 6 months. Will probably do it with the long term release version.

• 3 weeks later...

I added conky (sys monitor on right side) and AWN (bottom icons, app launcher) to my ubuntu desktop.

Took a while to figure them out, but they work good now.

Now I just need to clean my top taskbar some.

I'm also very happy that Compiz developers fixed the problem with intel g965 video cards that were not supported by the program. This has been introduced into next version of ubuntu. I'll have to look and see if it can be put on my current ubuntu. Currently with Compiz running I can not watch any videos (it closes any program that tries), I have to turn it off which only takes a couple clicks.

I also installed Miro video player, which so far I have only found it to be good to rip youtube videos from the web. Mostly for music videos.

EDIT:

Updated pic

Ubuntu forums now have 453,889 members. :O

post-1194-12833239586034_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I downloaded Ubuntu Hardy Alpha 3 that was released 2 days ago and am currently running from livecd as I type this. To my extreme pleasure 1650*1080 resolution is working!! This is pretty much enough for me to install the alpha. The 1440x900 resolution is not big enough for me to watch music videos from Miro and surf the web from firefox at the same time :P

Also the fact that there are supposed to be new drivers for compiz fusion so that my video card is not blacklisted and it will work properly so I can watch videos and have compiz fusion enabled at same time.

So excited! :D

The only thing about this release that confuses me is that it is supposed to have Firefox 3 beta 2 installed, yet it says I am running 2.0.0.11. I wanted to test firefox 3 :(

Seems this is explained in the forums. firefox 3 is in the repository, just not installed. link

EDIT:

I do not recommend anyone to install the alpha, unless there is lots of stuff that is fixed for you.

EDIT:

Updating now via Update Manager method

EDIT:

Actually it says it has to download 517mb of files, so I'll just do a clean install from the alpha 3 cd I downloaded last night.

I backed up firefox bookmarks, miro video files, and conky config file.

EDIT:

I definitely do not recommend anyone use the alpha. It is extremely buggy for me, and took 3 installs to actually get it to work normally.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, switched COMPLETELY over to Ubuntu 7.10 now and I love it. Question though - I'm in the middle of installing WoW on Ubuntu. Now, I'm told to copy the contents of the WoW cds to the desktop and just run wine through the setup. However, Ubuntu is not recognizing that there is a WoW CD in the drive. It's detected data DVDs before, so the drive is no problem. Any ideas to get Ubuntu to recognize the CD?

Haha, never mind, I rebooted and it popped up on the desktop. But I like this version of Linux very much!

You'll love the new version that comes out in April :)

It's going to be a long term release as well, so you can use it for about 3 years and continue to get updates for it. In case you don't like upgrading to a new release every 6 months (or 12 months, or whenever you feel like it). Also, a lot of the programs will be updated to newer versions

Still no internet at home. Once I do get internet working again, I'm guessing I'll have 200mb in updates for the testing version. :)

Acriku have you got compiz to work? If you have a decent computer it can run fine and use minimal resources (compared to eye candy in mac or vista). It should be enabled by default, although it does not have the advanced settings installed by default. Make sure to get compizconfig-settings-manager package so you can customize everything about compiz. The "Cube" setting is cool, along with several others.

I'd also recommend checking out AWN for program dockbar (like macOS bottom window bar), Conky (resource monitor) and Audacious (great winamp clone).

Conky/AWN will be in the next release repository, so you won't have to manually install them (they might be in the current one, not sure).

The great thing about linux OS is there are tonnes of programs and you should be able to find one that suits your needs best and you can customize everything.

Also if you have any questions be sure to search the http://ubuntuforums.org forum lots of times since questions have most likely been answered. And if you can't find the answer make a thread :). It has worked for me several times.

EDIT:

Internet is working again. I have 238 updates and 145mb in downloads for testing version :) Fun stuff.

500,000 registered users on the forum by tomorrow.

What video card do you have?

There are many settings you can put into xorg.conf and such that might be able to make it work. Or add the compizconfig-settings-manager and disable almost everything and see what happens.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft

Might help as well.

Hmm, you could go to system->preferences->appearance->visual effects tab-> turn on when not playing, turn off when want to play. Maybe create a shortcut to this for easy access to enable/disable compiz.

Search this thread for compiz (using "search this thread" function). Lots of people have a similar problem. There are some solutions in that thread.

• 2 weeks later...