How's your spam?

Spam Levels Up by 80 Percent over past couple months

That was in the news today, and oddly my gmail recieved 180 spam today, some dating back to September which made no sense to me since I delete spam on daily basis. I have gotten the image spam (to buy certain stocks), but not as much recently as I did a couple months ago.

Must be lots of zombie computers out there. I do my best to protect computer iliterate people.

My university email address is the worst for spam, must be like 20 a day and there is no filter/junkmail, so I have to sort through it all.

Actually I'm afraid one of my clients email has been compromised as they don't respond to my emails, yet the other day they sent the first email to me in 10 months with info about "stop the horror in Iraq" spam. The same content can be safely seen here.

How do you deal with spam, if you do at all?

I use Outlooks built in spam filter, which tries its little heart out, but get slaughtered under sheer weight.

Until recently, my main work amail never used to get real spam, mostly advertising from companies I had dealt with (BT and the lie, which I wouldnt really call spam) but now I get the lot, and its only in the last 2-3 months. I havent signed up on anything new recently, maybe my email address has now simply made it on to a list somewhere.

Anyone recommend a good community based spam filter, preferably free :P.

I use Outlooks built in spam filter, which tries its little heart out, but get slaughtered under sheer weight.

Until recently, my main work amail never used to get real spam, mostly advertising from companies I had dealt with (BT and the lie, which I wouldnt really call spam) but now I get the lot, and its only in the last 2-3 months. I havent signed up on anything new recently, maybe my email address has now simply made it on to a list somewhere.

Anyone recommend a good community based spam filter, preferably free :P.

http://www.spamfighter.com/Product_Info.asp

• 4 weeks later...

Only one of my adresses gets spammed several times a day. But Mozilla Thunderbird's spamfilter seems to catch almost every one of them, and then there is the ability to teach the filter whenever a spam mail has passed through its fingers.

• 7 months later...

In 5 days, 166 spam email in spam folder at gmail (that' normal).

A contact added me to jabber/gmail account. I thought it was someone I knew online (probably from miranda forums). But the contact has not signed on yet. So I'm thinking it is a new form of spam in which they try to add you to your google talk account and if you accept then they know the email account is active. Then add your email to the spam mass mailing lists.

The gmail email that added me is guzhanglin .@. gmail.com in case this contact tries to add you. It's still possible that it is a normal person, but I doubt it since I don't give out my email that often.