just a question

piterdevries

so what? do you expect some kind of explosion or some other kind of dangerous chemical reaction? I tell you what happens: neither the coke nor the mentos will taste very good and you either swallow the whole mix or you spit it out.

That's not what's going to happen, veK.

The diet coke and Mentos will react, and you'll be having a fountain coming out of your mouth.

The thing is that the Mentos' surface is extremely good at extracting the co2 out of the coke itself, and you get the same reaction as if you'd been shaking the bottle for a long time before opening it... It burst out. However, with Mentos, the burst is BIG.

Proving the reaction:

Click here. ( Wow, the fountains are high, and it's only Mentos + coke. )

Experiments with human stomach:

Coke first; then Mentos.

Yeah, that's what happens if you eat Mentos first, and then soda. As you can see in the soda bottle experiments, they drop the Mentos into the soda, and not vice versa... (Which would translate to drinking soda first, and then Mentos.)

is there something special about diet coke? because I know it didn't work for me with standard coke and mentos (mint).

I didn't put them together at the same time but I sometimes drink coke and eat mentos (so they mix up in my stomach) and nothing has happened to me so far. that's why I assumed it would be the same with diet coke and mentos (even if put into the mouth at the same time)...

Yeah, that's what happens if you eat Mentos first, and then soda. As you can see in the soda bottle experiments, they drop the Mentos into the soda, and not vice versa... (Which would translate to drinking soda first, and then Mentos.)

Surely it only matters in that circumstance because it is in a restricted space. Why would it matter which way round you consume it?

Surely it only matters in that circumstance because it is in a restricted space. Why would it matter which way round you consume it?

What do you think works best... Dropping Mentos into a bottle of soda, of pouring Soda over a pile of Mentos?

And veK, it works with all fizzy drinks, it seems (diet coke, normal coke, Sprite, whatever).