Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

GUNWOUNDS

Just thought i would give this game its own thread instead of posting it in the BF2 thread.

I'm pretty excited about this game because its exactly what I've been looking for since 1999 (back when Half Life 1 first came out).

Ever since Team Fortress Classic (TFC) had the plug pullled on it, I've had this insatiable craving for a team based multiplayer game that had several different classes, unique weapons, and linear sequential path goals that require teams to fight at focal points, and meaningful asymmetrical conditions.  Battlefield 2 was a good appetizer but it lacked certain things such as unique weapons, spy classes, sequential objectives, focal points, meaningful asymmetrical conditions.  Playing TFC, having it die out and have other games follow it without the same awesomeness, is like losing your virginity to a super model, having her die in a shipwreck on your honeymoon and then be forced to have sex with the female chimpanzees on the deserted island.  Fortunately Enemy Territory: Quake Wars has come to end all that.

To see just how awesome the gameplay is.... check out these videos...

these videos are of the same map.... but from the two very different perspectives of the two teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3q50az8iZA   -GDF offensive perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXXHRY75iSU   - Strogg defensive perspective.

Watch both videos in their entirety... their long but so kickass.  I'm so excited I feel like a little kid on christmas eve !

Cant believe i had to wait 7 years for a decent TFC replacement.

At E3 the systems used to play the Enemy Territory Quake Wars had:

Processor: Intel Pentium D Processor 950 w/ Dual Core Technology 3.4GHz 800MHz FSB

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Power Supply: 650 Watt ATX 2.0 Power Supply with Active PFC

Motherboard: NVidia nForce4 SLI X16 Motherboard

Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB

Video: NVIDIA 7800GTX 512MB

Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi High Definition 7.1 Audio with XRAM Technology

Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

Oh man.... my system kicks the crap out of this.  They also said if you can run DOOM 3 good then you will be able to run ETQW as well, since it is based off of an enhanced version of the DOOM 3 Legacy Engine.

Links:

http://www.enemyterritory.com/  -Main site

The outdoor environments will be generated in a special way to eliminate any redundacy and minimize performance drain.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Having actually taken the time to watch the clips, I can see why this game is being so eagerly awaited.

Battles will by definition of set objectives be very focused, one of the criticisms of BF2 and others.

My only concern is the way battle doesn't seem to show through as being...thoughtful..i.e. in BF2 (my limited experience) a player values their "life" and can even crawl around at times waiting for a chance to pop someone, whereas in this game people seem to be running around willy-nilly...

Of course, its only a very small demo so I may have got the wrong impression. It's an impression and concern, thats all...

Hope I am wrong. Otherwise looks good.

Having actually taken the time to watch the clips, I can see why this game is being so eagerly awaited.

Battles will by definition of set objectives be very focused, one of the criticisms of BF2 and others.

My only concern is the way battle doesn't seem to show through as being...thoughtful..i.e. in BF2 (my limited experience) a player values their "life" and can even crawl around at times waiting for a chance to pop someone, whereas in this game people seem to be running around willy-nilly...

Of course, its only a very small demo so I may have got the wrong impression. It's an impression and concern, thats all...

Hope I am wrong. Otherwise looks good.

Well i think you have to value your life in this game too (most any game really)... i mean if you keep dying then you will never accomplish your object, moreso for the offensive team.    And the thing about crawling around and waiting for 20 minutes to pop someone.......well to me that doesnt seem thoughtful, that sounds like those selfish snipers that sit at home base under a bush watching his teammates run off into the fray 4 cap points away.

Thats the problem with BF2, there is not alot of teamwork or meaningful combat.  I mean people will grab a chopper and fly off the aircraft carrier with no friends and then crash the chopper into the enemy flagpoint just to get the flag cap.  And everyone wants to be a sniper and hide in the corners of the map.  And everyone just wants to do their own thing.  I hate the current constant whack-a-mole flag-capping playstyle of BF2 that people have adopted.  Its more about crashing jets and choppers into flags, or grabbing a humvee and seeing how many flags you can steal....instead of good wholesome frontline-in-the-trenches combat.

In ET, suicide tactics will not be the favored tactic, nor will selfish flag-capping or hiding in a corner of the map.  In this game everyone will work together in a squad towards a common goal, and people who actually do their job (medic, engy, demolition) will become successsful and lead their team to victory.  And the lifeblood soldier who is racking up kills will be killing for a purpose.  He wont be killing to drain tickets or earn badges, He will be killing to further advanced his squad on mission objectives.  It doesnt get any more purposeful or thoughtful than that IMO.  AS it is right now it doesnt matter what class you are in BF2, whether you are an engy, medic, or soldier, doesnt really matter.....your team can live without medics or engy... but in ET you will definitely need medics and engy and spec ops as they have some crucial abilities.

Gun

Thats the problem with BF2, there is not alot of teamwork or meaningful combat.  I mean people will grab a chopper and fly off the aircraft carrier with no friends and then crash the chopper into the enemy flagpoint just to get the flag cap.  And everyone wants to be a sniper and hide in the corners of the map.  And everyone just wants to do their own thing.  I hate the current constant whack-a-mole flag-capping playstyle of BF2 that people have adopted.  Its more about crashing jets and choppers into flags, or grabbing a humvee and seeing how many flags you can steal....instead of good wholesome frontline-in-the-trenches combat.

Gun

I agree with those tactics used in BF2 by alot but, I always play inf. usually on karkand or city maps. Also usually without even vehicles. So when I play BF2 it's always player vs. player. And most are turning that way that run servers now anyway which is great...cause it's way more competitive.

I agree with those tactics used in BF2 by alot but, I always play inf. usually on karkand or city maps. Also usually without even vehicles. So when I play BF2 it's always player vs. player. And most are turning that way that run servers now anyway which is great...cause it's way more competitive.

yes i totally get that.... but i still think its sad that BF2 has to be played under such strict controlled circumstances to even get a glimpse of the fun that ET is gonna bring.

Also some other cool features of ET are:

I. Scrogg medics arent true medics in the sense.... they actually contaminate a GDF Soldier's fallen corpse which allows another Scrogg to use it as a spawn point.

II. Vehicles take true damage and have degrading performance.  If you shoot at the wheels of a 4 wheeler, the wheel will break off and cause the vehicle to run around in circles, rendering it useless.

One problem I feel they should have dealt with better is players and vehicles do not degrade in performance before dying. I can pop a player to within an inch of his life and he can still cut me with a knife. Maybe thats a level of realism too far that I am thinking about ?

Ditto for vehicles.

One problem I feel they should have dealt with better is players and vehicles do not degrade in performance before dying. I can pop a player to within an inch of his life and he can still cut me with a knife. Maybe thats a level of realism too far that I am thinking about ?

Ditto for vehicles.

Yeah, it'd be so cool if someone tried to knife me, and I turned around and blew their whole arm off with my high caliber rifle. Then one of his leg. So he'd be a limping guy with no guns. Now that'd be degrading!

Perhaps even complimented by dripping blood.

Why don't severely hurt people leave blood trails?

Ditto for vehicles.

I agree they should have dealt with that better in BF2.  Thankfully atleast the vehicles will be addressed in that way in ET.  I dont think its too much to ask for.  With the level of technology we have today, we're actually being short-changed in gameplay in games today.  The developers are playing catch-up.

I don't like vehicles at all... I don't like those mass multiplayer fps with 16,32 or even 64 players and all kinds of vehicles and stuff. I just want to go online and frag noobs  ;D

and it's very annoying to run around with some kind of automatic weapon and killing everybody and suddenly there's a tank or aircraft firing at you...

Then all the bastards with Anti-Tank spawn right on your sorry ass and let rip like they mean something..

Bam Bam Bam. Your dead, while that one mofo you were trying to kill just keeps on mowing down your comrades with his automatic weapon. Such is life...or death, even :-.

ya...

just don't like it. I like fps to be skill games in which you have to have good aiming skills so you stay alive. I don't want there to be any vehicles, mounted guns or whatever stuff... just a bunch of people firing at each other. I think I'll go play some cs now  ;)

yea CS is a blast... but so is flying in a chopper in BF2...  you really cant say one is better than the other....its apples and oranges.... i mean its like trying to decide between missionary and doggystyle.... you wouldnt turn either down if it were offered.  ;D

Seriously tho i think both require skill... you cant honestly tell me that the good pilots and drivers in BF2 dont have skill.... i remember the first day when people were crashing choppers left and right.  Also if you have ever had a horrible gunner while piloting a chopper or ever had a crappy pilot while trying to be a gunner..... you'd know what i mean by skill being necessary.

I tihnk what you are referring to is the fact that you dont like being outclassed in asymmetrical conditions.  However that can happen in CS as well.... like if you turn the corner and there's 5 of them and 1 of you.  Or if you were only able to afford a glock that one round when your enemy purchased an ak-47.  CS conditions can be asymmetrical as well.

I don't claim they don't have skill... it just doesn't fit into a fps. if you want to fly an aircraft you play a flight simulator which allows you to bomb every single spot on the map... but not a fps. I also hate vehicles in singleplayer mode and most of the time I just get past those vehicles and walk by foot, headshooting anybody who comes my way  ;D way more fun than to mow them down with a minigun, missiles or whatever...

so I seriously hope that vehicles don't get too much attention in quake wars. but it's id software, so I'm still optimistic  :)

Seriously tho i think both require skill... you cant honestly tell me that the good pilots and drivers in BF2 dont have skill.... i remember the first day when people were crashing choppers left and right.  Also if you have ever had a horrible gunner while piloting a chopper or ever had a crappy pilot while trying to be a gunner..... you'd know what i mean by skill being necessary.

That is so damn right. For instance, I'm playing engineer and love to drive things. Other people who don't drive as much actually suck at it. They tend to crash into things, rendering their crew and themselves highly vulnerable to enemy fire. They also take silly routes to their destination, and position themselves in stupid places. Aiming with a tank is not always easy either. It takes some time to get the perfect feeling of the shell trajectory. Just sit down and try to hit a moving helicopter with a shell... Takes some practice.

I did that, kust aim above the heli and bam, he only shot off one normal missile (we suprised each other somewhat) and I killed him. He was impressed and said as much in the ingame chat  8)

Have done it more then once, but have also been killed by them much much more, its not easy !

Guns, do you even play BF2 ? I havent once played with you ? Whats going on ?  ???

Will they have the Inf only option for this game ? That BF2 option has been very popular, looking at the number of servers and the amount of people playing in them...