What Dune book or series do you like?

Arraki

Seriously i like the Legends of Dune best out of the lot, the second Dune book was going nowhere you know, Dune Messiah. My fave book from the Legends of Dune series was the Butlerian Jihad.

This is going to end in a blood bath... Well I like the originals best but after Dune itself I think it goes GEoD, Messiah-COD (to me they really go together, I read CoD as soon as I finished Messiah) haven't read HoD or C:D yet. Then the 'House' series, then the Legends series.

The thing that irritates me most is that the prequels-and-stuff go together with the original books and are presented as a 'whole' >:( The statement in Wikipedia that "Xerxes is a character from Frank Herbert's Dune universe" almost drove me mad >:( ARGH!!!

I don't see why people are so neurotic about such a silly thing.  And I don't wanna hear "I grew up reading the books" as an excuse, because there's tons of people that "grew up reading them" when they came out, and they are every bit as enamored with and protective of Dune as the detractors of the new series' are.  I suggest people start realizing we all have differing opinions, and it's not any of our places to force our views of the series onto others.  I refuse to believe we can't have a thread like this without "bloodshed", and it perplexes me how an otherwise intelligent board so often resorts to such a childish mindset.

Hopefully we can just discuss the topic at hand peacefully.

Personally, it all begins and ends with Dune.  I honestly don't think I could really rank them without constantly re-ordering my list over and over.  I think I tend to view the Dune series as one book/story, so it's almost impossible for me to try to break it up like that.  I really love the originals.  I liked the Legends of Dune and I liked the books that come directly before Dune on the timeline.

Regardless of our differeing opinions I think we can all agree that this story is just as relevant if not more today than it was when it was written.  It's truly amazing to sit down and follow the story and realize thqat you are becoming immersed in it.

I wasn't condoning bashing the prequels or people who like them, just giving a friendly warning (he is new) that certain members cant get along with people who like the prequels. Especially when/if that whole 'fanboy', 'talifan' business starts up...

Dune and Chapterhouse. Those are my favourites. Regarding the prequels... others are welcome to their own opinions. I certainly don't agree with all of them, but- No, it's best that I just stop there. However, if I'm going to switch from vitriolic detraction to peaceful acceptance, which I haven't yet decided to do, then I would ask that others respect my opinion as I respect theirs.

I loathe the Dune prequels, most especially the 'Legends' series, with every single tiny fibre of my being.

Dune and Chapterhouse. Those are my favourites. Regarding the prequels... others are welcome to their own opinions. I certainly don't agree with all of them, but- No, it's best that I just stop there. However, if I'm going to switch from vitriolic detraction to peaceful acceptance, which I haven't yet decided to do, then I would ask that others respect my opinion as I respect theirs.

I'm very proud of you Dante.

• 1 year later...

I agree with Dante.

Frank Herbert Wrote Dune.  Kevin J Anderson writes fan-fic and is lucky enough to get it published.  Some people like it.  I have no idea why because it is the worst drivel and rambling i've ever forced my self to read. that's my opinion.  Seriously? i'd pay them NOT to write another book.

I would seriously like for someone to post here why they liked it, what they liked about it.  Please! Sometimes i seriously think i got a bad copy the way people praise and defend Pinky's writing.

then i would like you to read this:

http://januarymagazine.com/SFF/dogged.html

It would have to be Heretics of Dune for me...

The Lynch movie and the Sci-Fi channel miniseries both have thier strong and weak points, but in terms of accuracy, the second miniseries comprising Dune Messiah and Children of Dune is probably the best - apart from the fact that the actors change :-X