Elderscrolls: OBLIVION ... my new addiction

GUNWOUNDS

Gunwounds, what level are you, and what armor do you have? I just started a new game, but before that(In my old save which I still have) I was a level 15 Imperial Bard. :) And I had tons of weapons, armor, books, tons! Shame, though, some of my best stuff dissapeared when I threw it down onto the floor in one of my houses. :- What armor do you have on now? I know you can get the Dremora shield, but where is the armor from? And what sword is that? With my Shortsword of the Inferno, I was doing 18 damage. 8)

Oh, have any of you finished the game yet? I'll tell you this, if you see the end battle like I saw it, but only 10 times graphically better, you will be amazed! Really. :)

I am level 28 and that is a Daedric Cuirass, a Daedric sword, and a Daedric shield.  I am also wearing Daedric boots.  You are probably wondering wear i got such high level stuff...... well... Someone from Chorrol wanted me to find some magic stones in some Ayelid ruins... and when i entered the place it was full of Vampires wearing all this good stuff.  The Daedric Cuirass is one i pulled off of a dead vampire patriarch.  It was exhilarating... as soon as the vampires saw me they cast invisibility and ran around me striking me... i was like wtf... but the invisibility only lasted for a few seconds.. and then i conjured a zombie to assist me in kicking some vampire butt.  Two other vampires i killed with bow & arrow from the shadows... and a vampire mage i killed by pouring "silence" poison on my blade so he couldnt cast spells for 22 seconds. 

I only had like 4 vials of that potion and i had to use all of it to keep his spellcasting ass quiet so i could hack him to pieces.  The vampire patriarch i had to kill the old fashion way... hit and run and heal... it was hard tho cause he moved really fast.  But i have good blocking skills coupled with a good stock of "Damage Health" magic poison to pour on my blade.  Plus i conjured a zombie right behind him to wail on him while i attacked from the front.  Good times.  I did contract vampirism.. but i got rid of it by drinking a  cure disease potion before it took hold of me.  I will eventually turn vampire to see how it is.. but i dont feel like messing with it right now. 

Guns

That's Daedric Armor he has. In Oblivion it is much less rare as it was in Morrowind (where there were only 2 complete sets in the whole game + expansion packs)

The best sword in the game is probably Umbra, but I can't tell for sure (I haven't seen Daedric Swords yet) That is, if you don't count enchantments.

I currently have Glass Bow with a nice damage health 30 pts enchantment (from a sigil stone) which makes it very powerful (as there are no creatures immune to this type of damage) Add in posions that deal 7 pts of damage per second and you enemies don't even get the chance to test their futile melee weapons on you.

For those who have at least completed the main quest mission concerning the 4th item:

[hide]I'm currently trying to hold off the enemy whilst gates are opening. This time I'm trying to keep at least Jauffre and Baurus alive, but this seems really hard, but I know it is possible. [/hide]

FYI.. i just found out... that if you have the difficulty slider maxxed out it maxxes out the NPC AI as well.  I made the 100% chameleon spell and cast it on myself and tried to kill some mages and they cast detect life on me (so they could see me) and came after me and killed me even tho i had 100% chameleon.    Freaking Awesome!!  Not only that.. but if i attack a warrior and stay close to them they will use their "ears" to locate me and they start swinging wildly trying to hit me... and they do!

With the AI maxxed out the game is very smart.... no more chameleon being the "I win button" for elderscrolls anymore.  This Radiant AI is pretty cool. Obviously you dont have to max out the difficulty slider to get good AI... just crank it up past the default mid-point and you should see the AI acting alot more intelligently.

Guns

I've also noticed that the enemy often tries to run around me and attack me from behind when I use the shield too much.

Sometimes they run around me so much that I have problems finding out where they are.

That's very cool.

The main quest is something i like to do near the end... but you could definately do the main quest first and then do the hundreds and hundreds of side quests and dungeons.  I like to get to a high level before i finish the main quest so that the enemies are really nasty.  If you do the main quest too soon the enemies will be scaled to your low level and wont be as dangerous.  SO i advise you to get to level 20 before completing the main quest.  Same goes for fighting in the arena.  But its your game you can do whatever you please.

Guns

I just finished the main quest, and I'm a long way from the end of the entire game. But I already am at level 25. Meaning I had some though enemies to fight:

[hide]Xivilai, Dremora Valkynaz, and a few "lesser" daedra (Daedroth, Spider Daedra and Storm Atronachs)[/hide]

Above that the creatures will just level up along with you, instead of being replaced by stronger creatures.

Besides, I doubt that people will be able to finish the main quest before they reach level 20. That is, if they don't intend to finish it as quickly as possible, but instead allow themselves to be distracted along the way by other quests and interesting dungeons.

I'm putting off the main quest for now. Wandering around, doing stuff. Having fun closing the umpteenth gate...

Yes I've got the key. And I've found that playing with the tumblers, while entertaining, takes longer than going to the inventory and getting a spell to open the door/chest.

I like making spells, me. I like to paralyse foes (or bystanders) and hurl them across the landscape with lightning spells. I also like to go find bandits and suck out their souls. Mmm, souls.

Oh yeah, and daedric weapons are all very well, but they're also a bit heavy for me. Carry a dagger or an elvish sword, that works. Having said that, using a daedric shortsword at the moment. Sneak bonus, reasonable weight, good damage... I even enchanted it myself. With the soul of a necromancer, I think. Or did her soul go into my shoes...? So many souls, so little organisation.

Here i am practicing my fireball spellcasting in the mages guild practice hall.  A fellow mage guildmate is trying to beat me.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3019/oblivion755ro.jpg

my balls are clearly better than his  ;D

And when he realizes this he sucker punches me as shown below

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2855/oblivion748ny.jpg

actually what happened is i punched him in the back of the head first.. fought him and then reverted back to a save game.... but hey lets not split hairs.

Guns

Has anyone found the 'Unmarked Cave' smack dab in the middle between the Ornage and Red Roads, just a teensy weensy bit to the left from the 't' in "The Highlands"? And once inside, does anyone know where that door that you need a key to leads to and what purpose(if any) it serves? It's been bugging me for quite some time now...

Anyone else found our old friend Mai'q the Liar from Morrowind?

[hide]You can often find him on the road to Anvil[/hide]

He has very funny things to say:

Mai'q

Just a few minutes after I read your post I caught him running down the road, I forgot to archive the screenshot but he said something about how he'd like to give me fishies on a stick but he didn't have any. Although strangely there was only subtitles and his mouth didn't move when he said that.

Yea, that piece of text seems to be bugged with me too. Don't worry though, the rest of things he says seem to be with sound.

He says something different every day, you can also just reload a savegame from just before you start talking to him.

Alrighty... here i am fully decked out in full DAEDRIC Armor with Daedric Sword and Shield.   Daedric Armor & Weapons are the best in the game and are forged by Daedra (Demons) who dwell in Oblivion (Hell).  Thanks to a city quest in the imperial city my set is complete.  The Helmet is very rare.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8914/oblivion774oc.jpg

:D

I wouldn't be so sure calling Oblivion hell or the Daedra demons. Granted that's what it's supposed to be in most contexts, but there are several planes of Oblivion, designed by several Daedra princes. Given their vastly differing personalities, I'm pretty sure they aren't all like the fiery brimstone localle that we are all so familiar with. That one, I'm pretty certain, is Mehrunes Dagon's handiwork. I mean to try to attribute something like that to Azura, Mephala or Nocturnal - it just doesn't make sense. And not all of the Daedra are evil. Most are just... ambiguous. Sheogorath, Azura, Hircine, Meridia, Sanguine, Nocturnal... Those being just the ones I can remember right now. The lesser daedra (Clannfear, Antronachs, Xivilai) are just servents or stupid.

Ahem. Anyways. I've found Mai'q a few times, mostly outside of Anvil. He annoys me because he runs faster than I can. Didn't realise that he was in Morrowind though. I mustn't have been looking hard enough. Aah, Morrowind. You know in some ways I think it's superior to Oblivion. Not graphically, but the atmosphere, outlandishness, social structure... Houses rather than nobles. Kagouti, not wolves. Mushroom towers instead of castles. Dwemer, not elves. Cliffracers. ;)

Yeah, I miss those dwemer ruins. Thankfully, there is at least one project to recreate Morrowind in Oblivion. Now *that* would be a treat.

Aah, Morrowind. You know in some ways I think it's superior to Oblivion. Not graphically, but the atmosphere, outlandishness, social structure... Houses rather than nobles. Kagouti, not wolves. Mushroom towers instead of castles. Dwemer, not elves. Cliffracers. ;)

Yeah, I miss those dwemer ruins. Thankfully, there is at least one project to recreate Morrowind in Oblivion. Now *that* would be a treat.

Ah, don't even remind me, I read "the ruins of Kemzel-de" and I got all excited about seeing a new dungeon for a change and fighting some robots, then after a long search on the internet I find out such ruins don't even exist! Although I imagine they will probably add some in one of their "bonus packs", one dungeon for the low-low price of ten dollars I'd imagine.

About Mai'q, he runs much faster than any regular horse and even with a black one I had trouble catching up to him.

Very good analysis of the daedra dante.. i am aware that not all daedra are evil.. its just easier to explain it to non-elderscrolls fans that way.  Its the same way that the "Demons" from DOOM 3 are not really demons.... they are just "Aliens" from another dimension... its the same way with elderscrolls...the daedra princes are just powerful alien creatures and the oblivion planes are just different dimensions.  But because many of the elderscroll NPCs arent aware of such modern terms they usually refer to it as hell or demons.

Guns

...Yeah.

Not an analysis really. Just a brief mention. Granted it's easier to simplify when dealing with the Daedra, I just thought it might be giving people the wrong idea.

In other news, am still enjoying Oblivion but finding it a tad repetative. Especially the voice acting. Still missing those dwemer. On the bright side, doing quests for the Daedra princes is quite fun. If only I knew where they all were...