Manners cost nothing

alchemi2

Now while i'm not against a bit of banter online or even rudeness, i would have thought that players could show some manners online, especially WHEN you tell them there is a minor sat watching you play.

After all manners cost nothing and if you need to swear you can alway use the universal ^&%$

Alchemi it takes 2 seconds to go to your game settigns and ACTIVATE your language filter.

Its your responsibility as a parent to know that if you got kids running aorund the house that you have language filters enabled on all your games.

I dont know who offended you but trying to put the blame square on them is stupid.

You know the internet is full of idiots and expecting THEM to shield your kid is absurd.

Its like taking your kid into a whore house and then asking the whores to put clothes on.

In the time it took you to type this thread you could have enabled your language filter.

Its under multiplayer options.

Good point GUNs but i did have language filter on !!! and i did make a point of say my kid was watching so i guess your right idiots do exist so maybe i should just expect people to not give a *&^% and not bother with online play when their around. :(

I'm with Alchemi on this one. I have had this has happen to my daughter (in game- Ghanima) before, but I use a different approach to handling the problem.

For example Guns,

Player 1- Yeah, I finally got lucky with my girlfriend last nite.

Player 2- cool

Player 1- yeah, she rode me like a wild horse for an hour, I just loveed watching those big mellons bounce up and down!

Now, what of that would the language filter edit? And yes, my 11 year old daughter would know EXACTLY what they were talking about.

My daughter and my son (Crysknife) were starting a game not long ago, and whenever they are online, even if it is only in- game, either my wife or I are arround to keep an eye on them. In this case, some of the guys were cutting each other up, and my daughter asked me what they meant, so I came over and read the post and told her, "well this guy just said that that guy has a small penis, and she said "ohhh, I get it" end of story. (which is our policy whenever either of our kids ask about sex, we just tell them straight)then I leaned over her shoulders and typed "are we gonna tell dick jokes all nite or are we gonna play? and then they picked teams and started the game.

So I guess my point is, the filter isn't going to do much, because there is far more inuendo than profanity in the lobby.

My problem is my 6yr old reads out loud what's written on screen and if my 3yr olds around then she will pick up on part of whats said and repeat it.

My wife then goes nuts coz she going 'give you a blow@@@' So i have to go offline and miss out on getting a game. My online play time is limited as is without that.

But the main point is Surely if you tell other players' hey my kids present or similar, they should have the decency to cool it NOT deliberately continue in the same vein.

to hard to find a game .

Moved on again

But still fun to see some rants

ALCHI... I agree totally,  never was fond of the crap that plays alot on disin other players. just play the damn game,

till i get inspired to play again later

I'm going to implement a login on the webpage so people can manage nicks and such there.  When I do, I could put a filter list that each player could manage for themselves.  When in a lobby, typing /filter would activate it so words the player specifies are masked.

If you think this would help, it wouldn't be that hard to implement.

RA

[sarcasm]exactly... what difference does it make, just like kids know what death is so why can't they watch dawn of the dead or natural born killers... ::)[/sarcasm]

are you really asking what the differnce between awareness and exposure is... shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

DjCID- exactly, especially since his only options are, to tell his kids to go away (which is not good for a dad to do) or back out of the game. And he should not have to do that. I know for me, it is hard enough, between job and family obligations, to find time to play once in a while. But Guns has a good idea, Alchemi, go to ra's server, that start feature is the best. That would cut out all the crap for you. I have a list of all the commands taped next to my monitor.  Hope to see you online sometime.

I will pseak to RA about implementing some sort of ignore feature similar to the one in XWIS, which will hide all sentances by a particular user (or list of users, me thinks).

The old /ignore <playername> command

Oh for gods sake, lets be realistic here, there are maybe a few people that use really horrible language, take a look at generals' lobby or any other game lobby sometimes, they are 100X worse.  Lets get the server goin smooth and error free before we worry about trivial crap.

I dont recall you beeing around when this happened so unless u know what i mean dont make these bs replies. k thx.

dude he stated like ten time above in his posts that he told everyone in the room that he said his kids were watching.

What ra has proposed and what I have spoken about is two slightly different things. /ignore command blocks everything and should be easier to impliment. To check for a list of filtered words per serial/nick or whatever would be more complicated.

If he was planning to impliment his scheme sometime in the near future, maybe this could be implimented into the server very quickly. Of course, this is all up to Mr Ra  ;)