RA1024's SERVER IS THE PLACE TO BE !!

yeah man, to page to the website and from the site to the game is realy cool....i am about to do it right now...hehe....GOOD JOB RA ! ! !

and its pretty good that u have the comand lines (lemme say the manual) on the "who is online page". only thing what i wish is that u can make the website auto-reloading...if its possible, coz not everybody has a browser like mozilla who can do this.

KALONY

/start

Starts the current game manually EVEN IF NO PLAYERS HAVE ACCEPTED. This should be used carefully since players will have no warning and the game will immediately go to the connect stage.

fireworks4.jpgfw2.jpg

*Cannot contain rolling tears of joy and bliss* That alone is worth the switch.  ;)

Nice, I tried 3 fresh nicks and all worked fine, commands work fine. (but the /start kicks major ass).

Good job RA!

Cool, glad people are interested in using it.  There's still a few items I need to cleanup such as the buddy list.  Don't try to add any buddies since the buddylist defaults to everyone who's on.  It may cause problems for your game if you try to add or delete buddies since the server won't send back a reply.

i never use the buddylist anyways... i just use the who's online page to see who is on as the commmunity is so small that "everyone" is a buddy. 

But go ahead and do what you need to do with it RA to prevent it from causing probs.

a question:  dose it have any effect on slow connections? like modem 56

or it will be the same or slower or faster??

Here's the thing with 56k and Emp, if you have a decent PC with dial-up it should be fairly smooth up to 4 players.  If you have a crappy PC with dial-up it will be crappy no matter what. For you spicy, it's your PC i'm pretty sure.

yes scar you are right all am asking is would ra s  server will make things worse? better, or the same

I think what he might be asking is, how will Olaf view this? RA's site looks cool and I love those features but......

What if Olaf gets pissed that after all his work for us, everyone uses his connection tool to go somewhere else?

What if XWIS and Strike Team dump support for EBFD?

And what if after that, Ra quits or looses interest in EBFD?

I mean I don't know him, I played a team game with him once online and he was very cool, he offered to help me with my B.O.'s and all, but who knows what the future holds?

I realise these are all hypothetical points, but they might be worth thinking about.

Hell, I could never figure out why Olaf bothered with the EMP. community in the first place....we are so small.

Perhaps RA1024 and Olaf could weigh in on this and tell us what they think.....I mean maybe Olaf would be relieved because it would be one less aspect of the server to maintain or something....

But one thing I do know, It would suck if we wound up with NO PLACE to play.

I think what he might be asking is, how will Olaf view this? RA's site looks cool and I love those features but......

What if Olaf gets pissed that after all his work for us, everyone uses his connection tool to go somewhere else?

What if XWIS and Strike Team dump support for EBFD?

And what if after that, Ra quits or looses interest in EBFD?

I mean I don't know him, I played a team game with him once online and he was very cool, he offered to help me with my B.O.'s and all, but who knows what the future holds?

I realise these are all hypothetical points, but they might be worth thinking about.

Hell, I could never figure out why Olaf bothered with the EMP. community in the first place....we are so small.

Perhaps RA1024 and Olaf could weigh in on this and tell us what they think.....I mean maybe Olaf would be relieved because it would be one less aspect of the server to maintain or something....

But one thing I do know, It would suck if we wound up with NO PLACE to play.

Well i dont tihnk its that hard to setup a server... its just a matchmaker... once the match is made then the connection is basically the players involved... so its not that intensive.... basically if Olaf or RA quit they could just give the code to someone else willing to run a server (hell i would do it).

I'm not planning on going anywhere but I would be happy to give out copies of the server to ensure it lives on.  I'll probably do this soon anyways just in case I get hit by a bus or something.

Also, Jeff and I tested it out late Friday night and I think we've worked out the bugs causing games not to load.  I also added the "whois" feature to un-mask those mutli-nickers.

Enjoy,

RA

Ok cool, I just had no idea what was involved. I know nothing about servers.

Just out of curiosity, are there any costs involved?

Like I said above I could not figure out why Strike Team even bothered with us. I just know in business, nothing is free, perhaps if we all go over to his server, we should throw some coin ra1024's way??? I mean, I read on strike teams website that they get sponsorship from EA.

Ok cool, I just had no idea what was involved. I know nothing about servers.

Just out of curiosity, are there any costs involved?

Like I said above I could not figure out why Strike Team even bothered with us. I just know in business, nothing is free, perhaps if we all go over to his server, we should throw some coin ra1024's way??? I mean, I read on strike teams website that they get sponsorship from EA.

it doesnt cost anything other than having to set up a dedicated box and internet connection.

oh and sorry to get eveyone hyped up about the new server and then disappear.... but i have to go out of town to visit some family members... i will be gone for about 4-5 days..... by then RA1024 should have the server debugged and optimized and we can all switch over at that time.

So RA is the code you are running for this server different from Olaf's? Is it based on it in any way?

It's based on some code I have for some other projects.  It's not related to Olaf's in any way.  I think he wrote his in C++ and I wrote mine in standard C.