Questions regarding the 'old duke'

Ninja_Sher

In the main dune book the old duke was described as 'weak' but hearty while in the prelude version ( HOUSE ATREIDES ) he was shown to be a very strong man, who fought wars in harsh conditions and etc...

I kind of wonder if there are two visions of Dune from father and son?

I agree totally with Spectral Paladin.

As far as i've read until now (here and on other places), prequels are the result of a guy with no honor, nor understanding, and no respect for his father and his work.

Shame on you Brian... put your head in a WC and push the button :(

WC = toilet for those who don't know

you should trust the original books, when in doubt they are the treu meaning of franks legacy.

in the prqeuls he is weak also but in a other way

About the question, i don't remember in Dune that Leto I was weak, but at the opposite i remember he was a strong and "one piece" man, with no externally visible sentimentalism (but at the opposite a strong interior sentiments towards Jessica and his son). The phrase that represent him, as recalled in the next dune books is "Here i am, here i stay.". He did everything he could in a difficult situation in which Shaddam IV had forced him. From one side the Shaddam/Harkonnen conjure, from the other the prejudice of the fremens, angered against the Harkonnen and that didn't know about Leto. But his personality became clear when he saves the personnel and not the spice-machine during a Worm attack in the desert. So i don't think he was weak at all.

I thought that Ninja_Sher referred to the "old duke in the main dune book" that was Leto I.

Who is Paulus? A prequel character? If it is, don't tell me about it, i don't want to know :)

EDIT : Or do you mean Paulus = Paul Atreides?

Ohh, you're right, now i remember. At the beginning of Dune book, when Jessica has landed on Dune from a small time and is trying to be confident with the new home, and look aroung she sees that thing on the wall... yes :)

The answer would be yes. Frank's Dune is a masterpiece, Brian's is crap.

Never trust the prequels.

He speaks the truth...

I agree totally with Spectral Paladin.

As far as i've read until now (here and on other places), prequels are the result of a guy with no honor, nor understanding, and no respect for his father and his work.

Shame on you Brian... put your head in a WC and push the button :(

Right, right, and right again.

There certinally are differences between the two books. Brian Herbets 'Dune' mockery portrays him as a strong tough person,

SPOILERS

[hide]who has an argument with his wife, and then got killed in a harkonnen plot.[/hide]

On the other hand, I don't think Dune gives a lot of infomation about the old duke. I haven't read it in a long time. Mabye I'm wrong.