Will you be buying Road to Dune?

Mahdi

Will you be buying Road to Dune?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buying Road to Dune?

• Not only will I be reading it, but I've already lined up for the inevitable book signings!
    • I'll probably buy it.
    • I'll buy it in spite of Brain and Kevin's new short stories
    • I'm buying it just for Brian and Kevin's short stories! Screw the excised chapters from Dune and Messiah!
    • I'll read it but not buy it.
    • No.
    • What's Road to Dune?

Road to Dune is a collection of Herbert's notes, cut chapters from Dune and Dune Messiah, as well as some new short stories by Brian Herbert and Anderson.

actually the road to dune is just yet another way for BH and KJA to make money on old frankie - I'd rather watch paint dry than to read any of their crap ever again - or for that sake fund their crusade to smash the dune universe.

If you want some insight into Frank Herbert I would reccomend "The Maker of Dune: Insights of a Master of Science Fiction", a collection of his essays compiled by Tim O'Reilly.  It covers a wide and disparate variety of topics.  Only a small portion directly addresses Dune; however, it shows a very intelligent and quite wise man with a corespondingly wide and disparate variety of interests.  Included in it is TMA's favourite quote, not simply attributed to Leto II but as we find drawn from Mr. Herbert's own repertoire, as well as personal favourite short story of my own: "Doll Factory, Gun Factory".

--Bashar

If you want some insight into Frank Herbert I would reccomend "The Maker of Dune: Insights of a Master of Science Fiction", a collection of his essays compiled by Tim O'Reilly.

Is that the same as

O'Reilly, Timothy. Frank Herbert. Frederick Ungar Publishing Co., Inc. 1981.

Book?

"Frank Herbert" is a biography written by Tim O'Reilly while "Maker of Dune" is a collection of Frank Herbert's essays compiled by him.  They are two separate books.

I have to thank you for asking the question, though, as it caused me to look more deeply into Mr. O'Reilly.  As it happens he is the founder of O'Reilly Media group, an important publisher of IT manuals of which I happen to have two on my bookshelf.  "Frank Herbert" was his debut book, now out of print but may be read online at the following link: http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/  I have not read the book, myself, so I can not coment on it.

What I can coment on; however, is judicious use of your local library.  I've been a strong proponent of lending libraries ever since the death of my father, whereupon we were forced to throw away the majority of his book collection because nobody wanted them.  This made me examine my own growing collection, where I found that I owned a number of books that I would probably never read more than once, as well as some books gifted to me that I probably wouldn't get to altogether.  All of this seemed a collosal waste of money, paper, and valuable shelfspace and so, as a result, I've adopted a policy of restricting my book purchases and utilising my library as much as possible.  I think the practice of buyig and selling of used books is also a good idea, particularly for older books that might have already circulated through the library system.

--Bashar