Iran

You see, if I had any decision-making power in Iran and my country was attack by air strikes or land invasion from Israel or US - doesn't matter which, I would first proclaim the injustice to the world and see if I could get any allies, because it's not illegal for Iran to be doing what it is doing - enriching Uranium. And if that doesn't work, I would call for swift strikes against the US and allied forces in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those forces are designed to keep peace against minor groups of insurgents and would be quickly overtaken if taken off guard. And of course, use whatever WMDs I could find - chemical, biological, nuclear missiles that Iran could buy from North Korea, whichever. A large majority of Iraqi military would probably join the invading Iranian forces even though because you know that Shi'ite arabs are the predominant group in the region. Afghanistan would probably be even easier to invade because most forces have been moved from there.

Oh, and of course, a major use of any WMD within the confines of the US homeland would bring the public support for the US-Iran war tumbling to zero.

Damn, I wish I was ruling a country...at least a small one.

Oh, and of course, a major use of any WMD within the confines of the US homeland would bring the public support for the US-Iran war tumbling to zero.

I must disagree.  Wesley Clark once remarked another major attack on US soil would make it a dictatorship, and I agree with him.  Historically any massive amount of death on US soil is followed by swift, immediate, and enraged retaliation.  Pearl Harbor and 9/11 are perfect examples.  The use of WMDs on US soil would convince Congress and an angry public that it is necessary to respond with nuclear weapons against the perpetrator.

• 3 weeks later...

A massive catastrophe has a completely different effect on individuals from just a regular terrorist attack. This is the sort of catastrophe that sends everyone to fend for themselves and their families - a breakdown of society. This of a virus that kills every third person spread throughout the US. This of hijacking of nuclear powerplants around the world. Think of terrorists with nuclear weapons in major cities. This is what I mean by a massive amount of death - combined with a pandemic fear.

Furthermore, usually countries don't give other countries "the bomb", but rogue groups do. 

Ahh the classic hollywood disaster scenario. I think it is majorly over rated, a disaster of any kind rallies the international community so that no one would be stranded and destitute for too long, as we saw on Boxing day.