Tleilaxu

Bijaz

The Tleilaxu, as far as I remember, don't have a single leader as such. They do have a strict hierarchy, at the top of which is a council of Masters. Scytale is one of the few Tleilaxu to be named; starting off as a face dancer in Dune Messiah, before having his genetics rearranged to be a Master himself in later books. This is a pretty simplistic explanation; since there are other topics that would be useful in this regard.

This one is possibly one of the ones you will find most useful: http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?topic=11171.0

And maybe this one: http://www.dune2k.com/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What you can speak about is the only case of capsule. In that case it was an emergency measure adopted by the Tleilaxu againts the HM, to avoid that the Tleilaxu species was extinguished.

In that capsule moreover is contained not only all the tleilaxu jerarchy members, but also all the gola and all the Muadib family itself (lol). :)

I suggest you some things :

1) Read all the 6 books by Frank Herbert from the beginning (Dune I, II and so on)

2) The 6 books by FRANK Herbert are on their own, absolutely don't thing there are any connections with Brian Herbert books (i read you speak about house/subhouses). The Brian Herbert books are pure s**ts and have nothing to do with the real dune books.

3) I would suggest you ignore totally the BH books and concentrate on FH books :)

Hey, I wonder if such a social structure as Landsraad still existed after Leto's reign ??? Don't remember if it is mentioned in the last two books - I guess I'll start re-reading them soon ::) Anyway, the Houses Major and Minor, if still existed, surely didn't have such a great role as before the period of Leto's Peace.

But that would spoil the story. That and the phrasing of the question means that really the knowledge issue should be addressed first. On another note, what's wrong with buying things online?

All of the Houses Minor lost their power after Leto II's reign, and only six of the Great Houses survived, with greatly reduced holdings. The real powers in the Imperium were the Bene Gesserit and the Guild, and perhaps to a lesser extent the Tleilaxu. After the Honoured Matres arrived, all that changed.

The real powers in the Imperium were the Bene Gesserit and the Guild, and perhaps to a lesser extent the Tleilaxu
Don't forget that ixians were as like or pheraps even more powerful than tleilaxu or guild. They were able to replicate the guild navigators and many guild ships were equipped with ixians machines. Not to consider that everywere in every social class there were ixians machines (see the Miles Teg consideration in Dune V during his escaping "These people seems like that medieval farmer. The only difference is that are ixians anti-gravity machines instead of cows and mules").

I wonder if the Ixians ever represented any serious political power. Yes, Ixian technologies were widely used, which made them rich. However, they have never had the monopoly on hi-tech devices (mainly because of the Butlerian Jihad restrictions). The only serious intrusion of Ix into politics was when they created Hwi Noree as a part of the conspiracy to destroy the God Emperor.

BTW, I guess the fact that the Guild Highliners were built on Ix is an innovation of the prequels, right?

I skipped the Ixians because of Odrade's comment that they were a stagnant and dying race by that time, having failed to discover anything groundbreaking for several hundred years. They had reached their peak, and started to decay. The mere presence of something so everyday as chairdogs from the Tleilaxu of all people is proof that Ix no longer held domination over the market. Add to that the fact that the Ixians were prepared to bargain with the Honoured Matres and I think we can see that they were not the people they once were.

Certainly in the past, the Ix would have been a power to be reckoned with. They did build the Heighliners (part of the original novels, I think), and they did more or less have a technological monopoly, since no other faction would dare push the boundaries as they did. One would imagine that they would therefore have held some political sway, though there is no evidence of this until Leto II's reign. As far as we know, they took no active role in the conspiracy against Paul Muad'dib. But may have been lending tacit support, I forget.

Regarding Ixians, i agree that they were rather on the way to the decay 'cause they were trapped inside their own way of doing things, that is without "creativity". They had lost their will to "create" or go "without math". And in this way they have lost the "inventive" of the human race.

Is for this same reason that they both were on the way down, and they did not took advantage in a polical way of their technological supremacy, they were kinda "stupid" we can say :).

Regarding the "dog chairs" mmm i don't remember, it's written somewhere they were tleilaxlu? I dont' remember so.

I'm pretty sure the chairdogs were Tleilaxu. They represented the growing influence of Tleilax in the post-scattering Imperium. Prior to the reign of Leto II, nobody would have considered using products from the Tleilaxu in such an open and everyday position. There was something else they provided as well, but I forgt what.

Yes, your point can be right, but if we don't have the sureness of this from some quote, it could be equally possible they were ixians ("'cause we remember there was the classic phrase "It's a filthy tleilaxu thing!" and in this case is rather unprobable that a "filthy thing" would be used, and this unbalance in favor of no-tleilaxlu), but being a something genetical thing it's probable tleilaxu. But i would like to be sure :)

Thx for the answers, sry if i had some hostility in my last post, im fairly sure i was tired and not in a top notch mood anyway. I have no problem with buying things online, its just that A: you got to have the money (applys for all thing though) B: it takes awhile to get thier if its far away. ANd i know it would be better to read it from the original books, i would rather do it to  8). ANd the only reason i refered to them as "subhouses" it because ive just come to call them that. and chapterhouse is a frank herbert book isnt it? (it has his name all over it  :P)

~LongExplaination~

Yeah but reading the 5th or 6th book (been so long I forget the sequence) doesn't help explain anything if you haven't grasped the heart of it all. You should read them in order. And they take 3-10 days maximum normally by the slowest shipping means possible, and besides, products tend to actually be cheaper online (you don't deal with the retailer).

Yes, your point can be right, but if we don't have the sureness of this from some quote, it could be equally possible they were ixians ("'cause we remember there was the classic phrase "It's a filthy tleilaxu thing!" and in this case is rather unprobable that a "filthy thing" would be used, and this unbalance in favor of no-tleilaxlu), but being a something genetical thing it's probable tleilaxu. But i would like to be sure :)

I think it's a pretty safe bet that chairdogs were of Tleilaxu origin, even without a quote. FH kept the "spheres of influence" pretty specific, even in the later books. IX = all things technological... Bene Tleilax = all things biological.

Plus, chairdogs seem to me to be things that would have to be grown in axlotl tanks... and IX did not have axlotl tanks.

My opinion, of course.