Emperor is far from dead yet !

erjin999

To all those poeple who have said that Emperor is dead/almost dead: The Results Table.

More games were played and recorded this month since October 2003. Admittedly there have been problems throughout that time with servers being up, then down, then the finding of new backup servers, etc. But these have been pretty much happened recently and so I would have expected less games to be played now, with people getting fed up.

A lot of older players have come back in the past few months as well. September had more then 22 games played, its just that they were probably played on Ords server, or WOL while XWIS was having major problems.

Whether there are less people playing or not, at least close to 700 games were played this month (so far!).

Wow this topic had far from dead and not just Emperor is far dead as most of them are.

it's like he's trying to say something, i just know it... i just dont know what  :D

ya, i've come back (not that anyone cares) and i have had no problems finding games the past few days at all... sure there are some low moments, but not too bad.

Wow this topic had far from dead and not just Emperor is far dead as most of them are.  Yes it is indeed alive...  Playing lots of games right now.

Translated automatically by www.Erjin999.com/translate-everything-Jeff-says.php?msg265819

Wow this topic isnt one of the usual Emp is dead topics. Uh-uh, its alive. Not doing my studies like I said I would and wasting my time playing lots of games.

Recommend www.Erjin999.com to a friend ! Click here !  :P  ;D  8)

EDIT:--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wow, we have made it to 756. With the few days of this month left that we have, we might be able to make this the omst sucessful month for the number of games played and recorded.

Just counted, I played in 70 of these games so far this month !

Hi all, i'm Ophirus from the board bellow, just came by to say hi and to chear you all up a bit.

Well... 834 games... wow!

Let me just tell you all that emperor lives, belive me couse I know what is a dead game and emperor is not one like that! At the end of dune2000's on-line "life" it had about 20 people per day and 200 games per month (most crashed and some were connection testing). We had that poor stats and we still liked it, so not only emperor is not dead, its far from being dead, and even when it gets to a certain point when few people come and play, its still alive and it will keep living (that until some WW idiot would shut the servers down!), so here is 1 advice from a guy who misses his game, enjoy every day there like its your last; this was my last --------> http://dune.kicks-ass.net/DayUsage.aspx?day=11%2f18%2f2004

Keep on rocking, Ophirus.

WOL will be back up, if thats what you mean, Ophi, I am shure of it. You have a good few dedicated people on dune2k and I am shure while you guys are there it will not be dead. I know what you mean about the connection issues not helping, I tried to play dune2k and couldnt connect properly, and gave up.

We done it. Easily the most played month on record. Of course, the records are about as reliable as having Jeff as an ally  :P but it still counts.

Why you always mention me in ur post?

I sent in a complain to EA about the WOL server being down so you got my support for getting the server back for yall Dune2000 players.

I used to play online. But nowadays no more since I changed to a new computer, and have yet to reinstall Emperor since I got hooked on warcraft 3 and diablo 2. But now that I've regained my dune interest, when I get back to Singapore, I'll reinstall it and try to see you guys online.

Somehow, when I went online, the whole thing's EMPTY. Also, an irritating thing is that... sometimes due to bandwidth problems, i get like a 1 second disconnect from WOL, but after that my game locks up a bit, none of the buttons i click work, even the cancel and exit buttons. This even happens when I double-click someone's game to join it. I wait for like 2-3 minutes, unable to do anything, and I finally get game is full or something but when I double-clicked it, it was near empty. Heck.

However, I REALLY enjoy playing co-op campaigns. Don't understand why nobody plays them anymore...

About the roleplay.. I'll do an in-depth guide. Or at least to the best of my ability.

Presently, in warcraft 3, there are maps called RPs (originally began in starcraft though). These maps are wholly detailed, with areas of grass, dirt, snow, blight, everything you need to do your roleplay. it's like a map with versatile roles.

Purpose of a Roleplay

To have fun, damnit! In a roleplay, there is no such thing as a game outcome, because roleplaying isn't a game. There is no such thing as a winner and a loser. What you can do in a roleplay, is to play certain roles.

For example, one player can be a trading town, another can be a hero, another can be the bad guy, etc.

Then you take over the roles of these "things", what they do, how they do things, what they say, etc.

For the case of warcraft 3, you get to make use of commands such as spawn 03 acolyte, etc. You can also kill, remove, change colour, tint, change size/speed, or even give new abilities.

But that is because in warcraft 3, the map editor is omnipotent to the extent that you can program scripts and such. in westwood games, no such thing exists.

However, since resources are unlimited (you won't find a time when there is no spice, right?), theoretically, a roleplay can last forever, but of course, in real life, it only lasts as long as the players stay in the game.

SADLY, Emperor can only support up to four players in a single game (that is if you play WOL. hopefully, someone will come up with a rotorz for emperor... ;)) So roleplays will be restricted to four players. It is best that there is at least one player of each house, and that at least all the five subhouses are in the game. it is also possible to gives units in emperor. As a result, it is possible for all players to have all the house majors and to have all the subhouses.

Is anyone still with me? If nobody is, please say so.

Moving on...

It is better to use a huge map like carthag or fisher's plain, so that the rp session will be as expansive as possible. Turn living world on IN CASE you need sandworms there for reality's sake.

If in the story that the players are acting out, a war is to happen, players can break alliances anytime, but it's advisable to know your limits, because in situations like this, players tend to go sadistic and decide to blow up a player's entire base. Players must thus remember that THIS IS A ROLEPLAY, not a strategy game. If a player gives you permission to blow up a base, you may do so. Otherwise, you will only get on that player's nerves and the roleplay will turn sour.

Fan mapmakers will have lots to do, because they can help build various types of maps, maps that include lots of bridges, cities, etc. It'll be very exciting.

Conclusion

I'm not really good at explaining how things work, but hopefully you get the idea. Remember, roleplaying is about creativity and enjoying what you do. If you always wanted to find a way to BE A FREMEN, roleplaying is your opportunity. If you want to be a Bashar, you can get a sard elite, unally someone and ask him to spare you some units to kill so that you can get him to level 3 (don't worry if he dies, because in emperor there is no hero system. don't try so hard to make your hero units look so different).

Out.

I'm vaguely familiar with RPG's. But from what I do know, emp would have to be totally redone to accomplish this. Also not really sure how well it work seeing as how it is based on Dune. There is definately a clear cut goal in the Duniverse, and that is to control the spice. RPG's don't seem to have any clear cut goals, which allows them to carry on indefinately. You just seem to wander around and do things wich gain you experience points. Emperor would be hard pressed to come up with a story line that would last indefinatley as well as maintain the "laws" of the Duniverse. 

This is a little off topic of Emp is far from dead. I think we just need to get people playing as much as possible. With that in mind I have coaxed my kids to starts playing online. It's hard for me to watch them play and see the mistakes they make. I would ask that anyone who sees them online play some games with them and give them some pointers as you all have done with me. Doing things like that and welcoming new players is the only way we are going to gain in popularity again.