Dune Trivia.

Imperial Sardaukar

See, I don't know the answer.  I jsut know that Nema is correct ins tating that there is one and none of you ahve posted it.  I read the book again at the start of september and remember the two terms beign stated, but not what they are.

Correct:

Paul  saw motion beyond the Sardaukar, Chani and Stilgar were

standing in the other passage. He returned his attention  to  the

Sardaukar,  staring  into  the offworld whites of the spokesman's

eyes. "You, what is your name?" Paul demanded.

The man stiffened, glanced left and right.

"Don't try it," Paul said. "It's obvious to me that you  were

ordered  to  seek out and destroy Muad'Dib. I'll warrant you were

the ones suggested seeking spice in the deep desert."

Dune, P.420 June '84 edition

Pyretic Consciousness!  Why didn't I remember that?

Anyway, here's my answer to TMA's question:

The Amtal Rule is the idea that a thing can only be fully understood by knowing the limits of the thing.  And in order to truly know these limits, one must push the thing beyond them which.  Essentially, the only way the nature of something can truly be known is by destroying it.  In practise, this was to be used to determine whether someone has been posessed by a consciousness from Other Memory (i.e. an "Abomination").

yay vanguard! lol

yeah the amtal rule has always interested me. The "amtal rule" has been around for a long time, usually in extremely spiritual cultures. Look at the colonies for example. Many of the forms of punishment in the american colonies that involved witches were usually that kind of matter. If the witch died during a test, say, in the swimming test. If the witch died of drowning then it showed she was not a witch, but if she floated that means she was and then she was either killed, or branded, or many other kinds of tortures. That kind of thing has gone on for millenia, just an interesting side note. :)