Dune Trivia.

Imperial Sardaukar

I have heard of that. I think it was an arabic thing actually. Though that kind of trial is a universal one. The "amtal rule" has been practiced by cultures the world over. Iti snt meant to be racist, its just the truth.

I know the "trial by fire" concept isn't only an Arabic thing; where else did they use the ladle thing?  I know in the west they made people hold onto firebrands, but I've never heard of anyone else doing the tongue (aside from some incidents involving Jesuit missionaries).

• 3 weeks later...

The Great Schools are the Spacing Guild and the Bene Gesserit.

See, that's what I think the answer should be. Unfortunately if there is any more than two that automatically seems to mean that the Guild is out... Le sigh.

There's no real 'correct' answer to this, but I figured it would be useful. And maybe a bit different.

How many errors are there in the quote below, from http://moron.guide.beneg.tripod.com/ ?

The Bene Gesserit are a race consisting of almost entirely females. Basically, they're a psychologically advanced race which has an arsenal of abilities of persuasion. They can pretty much mind control anyone so long as they can use the "Voice" on the person. Anyway, that's what makes them special.

They're main goal in...well, everything, is to breed themselves with other races to get the exact, perfect sequence of genes and stuff to create a man who can think like a woman (ugh), also called the Kwisatz Haderach.

Yeah... yeah, it hurts me to read it too.

GUILD: the Spacing Guild, one leg of the political tripod maintaining the Great Convention. The Guild was the second mental-physical training school (see Bene Gesserit) after the Butlerian Jihad. The Guild monopoly on space travel and transport and upon international banking is taken as the beginning point of the Imperial Calendar.

From the Terminology.

well the guild is a school but only to themselfes and almost only to the end of navigating space, in my book it does'nt sound like a very open school to me more a training centre then, as posted by vanguard

but you are right in the fact that it is the bene Gesserit and the Guild as the two oldest, as to great schools that is a different fact however.

still I stand (partially) corrected, sorry for the mix up